Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Finances of Riding the Savage/S40 - My free bike! (Read 333 times)
stumusic
YaBB Newbies

What a great bike...

Poway, CA (near San Diego)
Finances of Riding the Savage/S40 - My free bike!
03/10/08 at 20:45:16

Well, for the first time since buying my S40 (two weeks ago tomorrow... Also my first bike period,) I had to fill my Ford Explorer with gas. I only run 87 octane in the truck because of the cost, but run the highest available (usually 91) in my S40. I've been tracking the mpg and cost per mile of both vehicles and have calculated that in the last two weeks I've saved $71.95 by riding the bike instead of driving the truck anytime it was just me going somewhere. The payment on the bike is $99.00 per month, and includes insurance as well as 6 pre-paid scheduled maintenance services and extended warrantee. Let's see, in a month I'll save about $140.00... That means not only is the bike free, I'm getting an extra $50.00 a month to ride!  Cool

2007 Stock S40
  IP Logged
Savage Chick

Ride Free!

Greenville, SC
Re: Finances of Riding the Savage/S40 - My free bi
Reply #1 - 03/10/08 at 21:05:01

That ROCKS!!!!

Savage Chick
(Tammy)
  IP Logged
JayScottComedy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/11/08 at 00:28:51

Very good deal you got goin there. Some of the others might chime in about what octane is best to run in the savage. I use 87 now after reading some of the guys on here talking about some kind of build up the premium gas causes. I donno, its running great with the 87 though. Anyway, congrats and maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks will chime in on the gas situation.

-Jay

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #3 - 03/11/08 at 01:49:30

That's a awesome deal......and smart to figure it that way! Smiley

But I have heard also its not good to run premium gas......

Nevertheless,good deal.....getting paid to ride!!! Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 03/11/08 at 03:00:45

The stock Savage engine is the most "moderate" compression and temperature motor you will ever bump into.  It will never use the knock resistance of the package that exists in 81 octane regular gas.

Never put anything but low octane regular in mine -- never had a spark knock, ever.

=================

Some folks criticize our gas mileage, saying it could be better.  This is not true, any similar displacement bike gets worse gas mileage if ridden to the same level as you ride your Savage.  

I've got a 535 now that gets worse gas mileage (and skids its tires) worse than my Savage does.  Most of this has to do with the fact it has 14 more peak pony power and I keep twisting the right hand grip too far trying to make it get up and go like the Savage does (we have larger torque at low rpms and have good around town gear ratios).  Stir a close ratio high rpm gearbox to "get up and go" like you are used to and your gas mileage will SUCK amazingly.

So, the grass is not greener "over there".  For an in-town commuter bike nothing beats your Savage.  The better gas mileage bikes are 250's and you will not be happy with the "get up and go" factor of those motorcycles at all compared to your Savage.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #5 - 03/11/08 at 03:41:49

I have not been a part of the gas octane debates in the past but in the neighborhood there has been quite a discusson on a different aspect of gas.  In Minnesota at some stations you can get gas that does not have all the additive of modern gas.  It says right on the pump that it is only allowed in small engines, off road vehicles, classic cars (over X years old), snowmobiles, and motorcycles.  (This is a gov leagal issue)

It is usually 91 octane and the reason we like it so much is it lacks the additives that would tend to gum up the carb when the bike sits for 2-3 weeks.  Not near as nasty on carbs as today's gas.   I buy it when I can get to those stations.  (this is awesome for lawn mowers, chain saws etc too!)

The key is the stations that carry it are fewer than more.

Great economic figures you have going!!  great justification to buy some 2 wheeled fun!

WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #6 - 03/11/08 at 05:15:07

When I figured my costs of commuting with my full size PU truck vs my Savage, I came out money ahead (including maintenance and resale). With my Concours after three years I figure I am also money ahead even if I don't get any money from resale. Unfortunately, the Concours isn't as cheap to run as the Savage, but the price of gas has gone up enough to more than offset this. (Imagine what I would be saving with the Savage.)

I know this doesn't work when comparing to econoboxes, but I wasn't driving one so for me that comparison wasn't valid.

Good news is I keep the PU for when I really need it.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #7 - 03/11/08 at 05:46:22

I know its real tempting to look at the gas pump and walk away smiling that you filled your tank for under $10.00.    Yes, if you calculate based on fuel cost alone, the bike is going to smoke the explorer every time. But fuel costs are only part of the overall ownership costs.  There is alot more to consider.

Assuming that you are making payments for the explorer, then you only off setting the fuel costs of the truck.  When you add everything together (fuel costs, monthly payments, maintenance costs) you are actually going to pay a little more per month owning both the bike and the explorer (and just riding the bike) than you would just owning the explorer.  

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 03/11/08 at 06:31:21

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 03/11/08 at 05:46:22:
I know its real tempting to look at the gas pump and walk away smiling that you filled your tank for under $10.00.    Yes, if you calculate based on fuel cost alone, the bike is going to smoke the explorer every time. But fuel costs are only part of the overall ownership costs.  There is alot more to consider.

Assuming that you are making payments for the explorer, then you only off setting the fuel costs of the truck.  When you add everything together (fuel costs, monthly payments, maintenance costs) you are actually going to pay a little more per month owning both the bike and the explorer (and just riding the bike) than you would just owning the explorer.  

Ohhhh .... you edited you're big response to what I was going to say.    Anyway....yes,  It looks like fuel savings doesn't totally pay for the bike......  but it's fun ......

For me, it does pay since I have a "fixer-upper".    Sold my old bike, and only had to come up with an additional $50 to pick up my '01 that only had one scratch.  Have another $300 in engine parts and $300 goodies and periodic Maint.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
stumusic
YaBB Newbies

What a great bike...

Reply #9 - 03/11/08 at 06:56:58

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 03/11/08 at 05:46:22:

The explorer is in fact paid for, but I'm not certain I understand your math anyway. The only on-going expense for the explorer is my good year credit card payment that is exclusively used for work on the Explorer, (Payment is about $100/month), fuel, and insurance. From a budget point of view those expenses are fixed with or without the bike but I am spending (or will) $140 less each month on fuel and $99.00/month more on the bike payment, which for at least the next 24 months includes all the servicing for the bike. Additionally I'll be talking to my insurance company that hold the policy on the Explorer to reduce my annual mileage which will also save a couple dollars. Plus, the tires on the truck will last longer and are more expensive than the bike, and I'm sure other general maintenance items are more for the truck as well. (6 plugs instead of 1, 5 quarts of oil instead of 1.8, a radiator to flush vs. none, A/C to service instead of zippers to open, etc.) The bike looks like a better and better deal as I go, however I will not claim to have perfect logic, so feel free to elaborate.

2007 Stock S40
  IP Logged
stumusic
YaBB Newbies

What a great bike...

Reply #10 - 03/11/08 at 07:08:36

On the topic of octane:

Many times I've been told higher octane just burns cleaner/ more completely, is better for engines etc. but never really knew if all this was true, so this could be a very interesting topic. (I'll bet a search in the tech forum would be useful.) The dealership advised me to always run the highest octane, as did the lawnmower guy when I bought my toro, and the Cesna 150 I did some flight training in used 101 octane avgas, (though the handbook claimed 87 unleaded was fine to run in it as well.) I'd love to know more about the octane issue as it does seem fraught with voodoo and misinformation. Would too high an octane damage the bike? (When I finally start flight training again it would be good to know because every pre-flight consumes about a half pint to a pint of fuel drained from inspection points that basically gets thrown away - I'd love to throw it away into my bike's tank since I can't put it back in the wings...)

2007 Stock S40
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #11 - 03/11/08 at 07:28:40

Since you own the explorer, you're money ahead.  No doubt about that. It is cheaper to make your monthly payments and operate the Savage, than it would be to continue to drive the Explorer full time.  In your case, what you save in fuel alone vs. the Explorer more than makes up for the Savage payment.

If you were making payments on the Explorer too, you wouldn't be anywhere near as well off as you are.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 03/11/08 at 07:38:09

The costs for the car are static unless you get rid of it.  Only fuel and maitenance will vary.  My commute is 15k a year.  
In the car that's $1600 (at $3 a gal) a year in gas alone, and about $500 a year in maintenance.  $2100 total
On the bike that's $800, maintenance (by me) $100 a year, insurance $500 max.  $1400 total.
Savings $700 on the commute.  2 years the bikes paid for itself.  Year 3 I start saving for the next one.  Of course, gas prices are higher, pay back is faster.  And I have something no economics major can compute... a big fat grin as I ride by his cage in gridlock.    Smiley buhaha... buhahaha! etc.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 03/11/08 at 07:38:48

when i first got my 06 was running high test 9k later got her dialed in
for my taste..3' hard crome ,de snorkel,k&n drop in,stock plug,amsoil,dyno jet kit (save your money!) had gone thru a few plugs during the tuning/peformance process...run regular unleaded get 50 mpg mostly in town  mildly agressive riding.. plug chops perfect no ping and xtra dollar a tank savings..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 03/11/08 at 07:46:23

stumusic wrote on 03/11/08 at 07:08:36:
On the topic of octane:

Many times I've been told higher octane just burns cleaner/ more completely, is better for engines etc. but never really knew if all this was true, so this could be a very interesting topic. (I'll bet a search in the tech forum would be useful.) The dealership advised me to always run the highest octane, as did the lawnmower guy when I bought my toro, and the Cesna 150 I did some flight training in used 101 octane avgas, (though the handbook claimed 87 unleaded was fine to run in it as well.) I'd love to know more about the octane issue as it does seem fraught with voodoo and misinformation. Would too high an octane damage the bike? (When I finally start flight training again it would be good to know because every pre-flight consumes about a half pint to a pint of fuel drained from inspection points that basically gets thrown away - I'd love to throw it away into my bike's tank since I can't put it back in the wings...)

do a search for greg 650... he's got internal engine pics w/ running 85/87 vs 91.  lots of carbon deposits w/ the 91, not so w/ the lower octane.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:16:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finances of Riding the Savage/S40 - My free bike!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.