Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Finances of Riding the Savage/S40 - My free bike! (Read 333 times)
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Re: Finances of Riding the Savage/S40 - My free bi
Reply #15 - 03/11/08 at 07:52:50

Higher octane gas burns slower than the low octane stuff.  That's why it'll "wait" for the spark and not ignite under compression diesel-style.  That's why the other name for "knock" or "ping" is "pre-ignition".  Higher compression engines need higher octane gas.  A modern engine with a computerized ignition control system can get by on a lower octane gas, but there will be some loss of performance or mileage as a result.  Our thumpers don't have all that electronic stuff, so it's moot for us.

Since lower octane gas burns faster, it will give a crisper power pulse.  It's also what our engines are designed for.  If you feel that you're not getting all the additives you need, just add a little Techron to your tank every now and then.  That'll keep those fuel injectors nice and clean -- oh wait, we have carbies!

So I use the cheap stuff.  I'll take the twenty or thirty cents a gallon I save and use it to offset the high cost of espresso!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 03/11/08 at 07:56:44

Isn't all gasoline   unleaded today,and has been for many years?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #17 - 03/11/08 at 08:56:38

I concur, High octane is a waste of money in the low compression Savage/S40. It burns much slower. Heck ,my car requires only regular with 10.5 compression, but of course it has a much more sophisticated ignition system including knock sensors. So save even more money with cleaner,better burning 87 octane. And yes the Cessna 150 and lots of other planes will run better on lower octane, but 80/87 is almost extinct so we have no choise but to run 100LL which is full of lead. You can put this in your bike (make sur there's no water) but NOT in your car or a catalist equipped motorcycle) I put it in my Interstate in winter since it gets ridden very little and Avgas doesn't age much;)
Note; DO NOT run avgas exclusively when using synthetic oil since that oil does not keep lead in suspense and it WILL form a greyish slug and WILL ruin your engine. That's why Mobil pulled MObil1 Aviation oil of the market after it ruined many an aircraft engine Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #18 - 03/11/08 at 17:44:18

verslagen1 wrote on 03/11/08 at 07:38:09:
The costs for the car are static unless you get rid of it. . . .
That's what I did.  The 7-8 mpg 460cid LTD was towed off, replaced by the 45-50 mpg bike.  At 5,000 miles a year and $3/gallon that is about $6,000  in fuel savings over the past 3.5 years.  Insurance adds another $500 or so a year savings (the LTD had the potential to do a LOT more damage to other vehicles.)

My Savage pays me to ride!  Helps that I can borrow one of the girls' cars if I need to.

WWW   IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #19 - 03/11/08 at 19:10:33

I didn't just buy a motorcycle on impulse. First I did the math then I bought it on impulse Smiley

I was commuting about 20 miles per day durring the warm months in a Ford F150 with a v8. About 15 mpg if I took it easy. When it rained, I took public trans. How could I avoid a motorcycle? Here are some of the numbers I fudged crunched to justify the bike purchase:
Item Savage F150 @ 4,000 mi/year
Gas(gallons) 74 266 $670
Insurance 94 450 Fixed
Government A$$holes 70 230 Fixed
Parts&Acc 350 400 $50
Parking Tickets 0 200 $200
Depreciation 400 1400 $100
Books,Companion CD,SuzukiSavage.com 80 20 ($55)
Labor $0 500 $500
Annual Savings $965
Cost (used) $2,100 $7,700 $5,600
Break even about 3 years.

All in all, I'm not far off from hitting the break even point this summer. The annual savings are pretty close to a grand. I used .52 per mile for the Ford F150, and .18 per mile for the Savage. I've since replaced the F150, but the cage that I replaced it with has a very high depreciation per mile figure, so I keep it at .52 until I get a better number.

The more I use the  LS650 for transportation, the faster it pays for itself and the more I extend the life of my cage. I usually keep a cage for about seven years. If this scheme adds just 2 more years to the life of the cage, the bike would have paid for itself even if gas were free.

Oh, and it's fun too.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #20 - 03/12/08 at 04:39:27

I definitely come out in the black riding the bike daily over driving.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:22:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finances of Riding the Savage/S40 - My free bike!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.