Send Topic Print
Deeper ? (Read 15 times)
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Deeper ?
03/06/08 at 22:33:40

I have always been curious no one has really been able to tell me what type of muffler would sound deeper and louder a 2 inch pipe that is say 16 to 19 inches long or a 3 inch pipe that is 27 to 30 inches long ?

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Deeper ?
Reply #1 - 03/06/08 at 22:45:50

Don't we still have the Muffler Sounds in the Tech section?

I would like a deep loping sound muffler on mine,but not sure that is possible on the Savage. Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - 03/07/08 at 00:13:44

I'd think exhaust pipes would behave like other open-closed standing wave pipes. Length of the pipe would be 1/2 the wavelength of the fundamental and the diameter would be the amplitude.

In a perfect world with a smooth bore cylindrical pipe and all other things being equal, longer=deeper and wider=louder.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 03/07/08 at 06:29:46

3" slashcut hardcrome...plenty deep Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #4 - 03/07/08 at 12:37:11

When I was bulding my exhaust I experimented with length, but not diameter. I can tell you that longer definately = deeper, but not sure how much the diameter does.

I actually took two shopvac extensions and sliped them onto the header, and it sounded like a helicopter was about 50 feet above my head Cool, but only for about a minute though cause i didn't want to melt them. Grin

JakeB

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #5 - 03/07/08 at 14:12:45

joebothehobo wrote on 03/07/08 at 00:13:44:
I'd think exhaust pipes would behave like other open-closed standing wave pipes. Length of the pipe would be 1/2 the wavelength of the fundamental and the diameter would be the amplitude.

In a perfect world with a smooth bore cylindrical pipe and all other things being equal, longer=deeper and wider=louder.

I would tend to agree with the longer=deeper, not sure about the wider=louder, based only on my experience with wind instruments...musical wind instruments that is.  (Oh God, I can already hear the clicks of the keyboards typing interesting responds to that one)

If you know you MUSICAL wind instruments, then you know that a lower tone occurs when the instrument is longer and wider.  Shorter/thinner produces a higher, sharper pitch.  Example would be a bass sax or tuba vs a flute or cornet

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #6 - 03/07/08 at 15:37:43

I would think (though I'm just guessing) that the reason larger instruments have a larger diameter is that lower notes don't "cut" as well. Something about the way the ear works makes us pick up on high notes much better than low notes. I think the reason that choir melodies are always written for the soprano part is that everything else sortof blends together; the soprano voice really stands out, despite not being any louder than anyone else, decibel-wise. So in order to sortof "equalize" the sound your hearing, I'm guessing they open up the diameter of the larger instruments, though its not always the case (trombone).

Then again, most of those large diameter instruments (sax, tuba, cornet) have a conical shape (so you can fit your mouth on one end), rather than a cylindrical shape (flute) so  i think that really messes things up too.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 03/07/08 at 16:26:41

Trombone is bigger than a cornet .

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #8 - 03/07/08 at 16:32:22

Acoustically, the vowell sounds fall somewhere between 700 and 1200 Hz (cps) while consonants fall above 1500 going up to around 7000 Hz (cps).  In most languages, the consonants carry the distinctive information Kats compared to Hats.  Also, the lower frequencies bend more (you can hear drums in a marching band before they come around the corner, the fifes are more line of sight.  Other aspects are the upwards spread of masking, due to the wave formed in the cochlea and the basel first part is high frequencies and the higher up the cochlea 9or deeper into it, the lower the pitch.  For some reason, the wave formed gets more before the highpoint, or specific frquency stimulated, then drops off fast not exciting hair cell beyond..OH, SW, I think Hawiian is one of the few languages that has more vowells than consonants. Cheesy  I expect the diameter has much to do with tone (base =wider tube/ treble = narrow tube all of which I think may be due to harmonics and which waves (Hz/cps)flow best through a given tube.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #9 - 03/07/08 at 16:39:48

Besides sound and probably more important, each diameter will extract the spent gases differently, and maximizing the extraction maxes performance.  I think the shape of an instrument, wind or muffler sraight/conical has an efect on what waves get cancelled out and how directional the sound is emmitted.  Of course, in water waves,  (and thus probably in sound also) narrowere tubes will speed up flow of equal amounts of fluids compared to wider tubes (within functional parameters).  As for loudeness, you would have to be a specific and equal distance and direction from the end of each muff to get an accurate measurement and comparison, as loudness in SPL drops off quickly over distance ( a formula I might have known once but certainly don't now Lips Sealed  Ah to age...

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #10 - 03/07/08 at 18:21:01

Trippah, appreciate you post on frequency, I am very hard of hearing from diesel engines turbochargers in my misspent youth and even with digital aids, I have a spot at 2K hz that is flat. The hearing aid tech can crank up the volume but it doesn't help just distorts it in that area. No one explained it quite like you do, I'm going to copy it and share it with my Automotive teacher friends who are starting to notice problems in noisy classrooms and understanding students questions. We have talked about it and one class I sub in for them on occasion has the HVAC blower  running all the time in the front of the classroom. If I was going to be there permanently I would at the least turn the classroom around, and see if they couldn't change the blower from blast to coast.  It really helps to know about it and utilize good classroom management techniques to help everyone do better. I get some help on my insurance with the aids so haven't gone after the U.S. Navy and Alaska Marine Highway System for $. Thanks, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 03/07/08 at 18:42:16

Fiberglass packing in a muffler sounds better because it takes at some of the higher note sounds,But you do have to repack ever so often.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #12 - 03/07/08 at 21:56:31

i have a 27 inch long by 3 inch diameter turned out muff on my savage now and it's loud and kinda deep but i went and ordered a 16 inch long by 2 inch diameter tapered cut muff to put on it and i will see what sounds better i have heard that those 2 inch tapered muff's are pretty similar to the sportster mufflers and will make the savage sound pretty good but we will soon find out .

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 03/08/08 at 02:50:52

Just buy  a supertrapp!  You can make it as deep as you want by adding or removing discs. Mine has a nice deep rumble and  what a cool sound when backing off the throttle! No pop at shutoff either and I have had not one backfire since installing it. As close to a Harley sound as you can get. Well, half a harley.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 03/08/08 at 08:00:06

Love my supertrapp too!
And who gives a crap about High Dollar sound?
It's that old Gold Star sound   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:31:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Deeper ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.