Send Topic Print
Word to the wise (Read 292 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: Word to the wise
Reply #15 - 03/07/08 at 10:08:10

I lost and tore two license plates and got fed up. The current one is attached with lock nuts and the plate reinforced with Gorilla glue.

I laid the plate face down, squeezed Gorilla glue on it, and let that dry. Then I screwed it on the bike. This type of glue expands as it dries. It provided a thicker plate that now holds up to both vibration and no more tearing.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #16 - 03/07/08 at 11:43:58

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 03/07/08 at 05:16:35:
When they unveiled the prototype switch in a training class for technicians, I pointed out the potential problem.  

On my own, I went out and purchased a bunch of 1U low profile cpu coolers and installed them on my switches.  ........  I got written up for putting non-approved hardware into customer machines that could have voided their warranty.

I hate engineers.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.  

A "good" engineer will understand his resources and utilize them fully.   They will go out on the shop floor or go out to the customers location, look at how things are and then ask questions,  why do you do this or do that.      

Bad engineers tell you how things work and how you will use it and design it that way.  They will go to the location and start designing right away, no observations...   Bad Engineers then become managers.......  Oh yea.....  I've been told engineers make bad managers.....  Hmmmmm......

Back to the subject,  Locking nuts were crimped metal or altered threads,  but they had a short life as each time you removed them they tried to go back to origianl uncrimpled unaltered state.  First nylon locking nuts had a hole drillled into the side and a slug of plastic inserted.  Nice idea, but the angle of the plastic and size , it didn't last long.  The Nyloc's also don't last if used in applications of where you are constantly removing them.  But for vibration aplications they're great.  Oh yea.... they don't like heat ..... on a side note, I had a set where they had bake-lite instead of nylon, but the bake-lite wasn't flexible enough so they were "use once & throw away".

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #17 - 03/07/08 at 11:53:32

mine fell off last year also, lucking it was in my sub division and I heard it hit the ground, and my plate is alos started to crack on each side, mybe I'll try that chrome holder ideal.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #18 - 03/07/08 at 12:13:32

Blob a little silicon sealer on the back of the plate where the mounting hole is and use nylon lock nuts and washers. The silicon helps absorb the vibration and helps keep the plate from cracking. That along with a licence plate frame will keep everything together.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #19 - 03/07/08 at 12:15:13

Both of my Savages are sporting tags with rips on the corners at the moment.

Pretty obvious by now that we have identified another "common failure mode" of the Savage/S40; or at least the license plates attached to them! Cheesy

But then I've had similar problems with most of the motorcycles I've owned; because the vast majority that weren't dirt bikes were still "shakers" like the SR500 and XS650 Yamaha bikes. I've only had a couple of smooth multi-cylinder bikes, and don't remember having this problem with them.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 03/07/08 at 12:37:28

Iv's never had that trouble i uses plastic bolts

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print