Send Topic Print
Annoying Engine Noise! (Read 20 times)
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Annoying Engine Noise!
03/02/08 at 05:04:12

Hi all, nice to see such a distinctive bike has a prescence on the web! I recently bought an 88 model very cheaply thanks to Ebay. It was a none runner but in lovely condition and came with a Manx Norton style fish tail silencer installed. Well the running problem was easily cured - a second hand starter solenoid did the trick.... thats when I found out that there was no baffle in the silencer - ha ha - how could such a small bike sound so loud! Again Ebay came to the rescue with a cheap DB killer baffle made for sports bike exhausts - it now just sounds loud! Anyway, now the exhaust end is under control I am finding the engine noise grates on me after an hour or so in the saddle. The bike has a hard edge metallic tapping noise that seems to amplify when I have my helmet on. It appears to be coming from the left side of the engine (left side when viewed from the saddle). This increases in tempo with engine revs but not in volume. Doesn't sound like tappet noise and the valve clearance is ok. Bike starts and runs fine. I'd be most grateful for any insights people might have regarding this.

Cheers

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: Annoying Engine Noise!
Reply #1 - 03/02/08 at 05:51:09

the cam chain tensioner is on the right side, but would qualify to make the noise you describe. you didn't mention how many miles are on the bike, i would HIGHLY recommend a look at the cam chain tensioner, soon. helmets will amplify noise directly beneath you, as other noises are dampened around you.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #2 - 03/02/08 at 06:15:19

Suggest to do the following, just to check the engine condition:

1)Adjust the valve tappet clearance

2)Remove the oil and open up the 2 side covers of the engine
   RH side to check the condition of the camchain and tensioner.
   LH side to check the starter gears

Use NEW gaskets for the covers!

« Last Edit: 03/03/08 at 07:00:11 by Kropatchek »  

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/02/08 at 08:00:47

Here's for the right side...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029

Here's for the valves...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1151938664

You're on your own on the left side.

WWW   IP Logged
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/02/08 at 10:13:07

Hi - thanks for the swift responses. I will check as above asap - the bike has a recorded 32K miles so plenty of scope for cam chain troubles I guess. As there is no external adjuster I assume the cam chain tensioner is automatic?

Cheers Again

Darren

IP Logged
bike-fixer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/02/08 at 10:23:49

If the above do not reveal the source of noise, it could be piston slap.
When a piston is worn enough to be a bit loose in the cylinder, it can tilt a few thousandths back and forth as it cycles. This creates a metalic slapping sound that is particularly noticable under load at low to medium rpm. It can be scary cause it may make you think the lower end is about to fail. Lower end noises are a heavier thumping knock, best identified by warming the engine, then put it in third gear at a stand still. Hold tight to the front brake and feather out the clutch while adding throttle. If the lower end is the problem, a heavy knocking will occur as you slip the clutch under load.

Bike Fixer

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:14:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Annoying Engine Noise!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.