Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Identify this Muffler? Ideas? (Read 10 times)
superior
Alliance Member

Savage 4 Life

Los Angeles Area, CA
Identify this Muffler? Ideas?
03/01/08 at 00:36:25

I recently purchased a used 1986 Suzuki Savage with only 4,675 miles on it.

here is the inside picture of the pipe

A picture of the Savage in my garage

Does anybody know what type of muffler this is?
Is this muffler any good? (It has a minor dent in it but I think I can get it fixed)

I am also concerned about poor acceleration. I replaced the carb (the old carb housing was cracked) so I replaced it with with a 2005 S40 Carb. I jetted it with a #55 Pilot jet (.055) with ventilation holes & #155 Main Jet (.155). When the bike starts up it seems to get decent acceleration when I open up the throttle about 1/4 of the way, but if I open it past about 1/2 the way I don't notice much of a difference in acceleration. I notice a deeper (throatier sound when I open it all the way up) but there is not much notice in acceleration/power.

Should I replace this muffler with a different one?
BTW: the bike does not backfire anymore with the jet kit (like it used to backfire all the time). *** Now after the 'jetting' it only backfires (once) when I turn off the engine.

I have been riding this bike around earlier today both on the freeway and off. I can get it up to about 70mph with a passenger on it. It rides smooth and easily. I just ordered the side covers and I am planning repainting the tank/covers/& fenders on Sunday.

ALSO do you have any ideas on a polish or buffer that will take out the aluminum oxidation on the engine cases to make them shine?

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Identify this Muffler? Ideas?
Reply #1 - 03/01/08 at 01:21:18

Feeding it fuel & fixing the backfire is good, but if it cant exhale, it wont run. Gonna need to open that exhaust up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/01/08 at 07:11:34

How does it sound?  If it's good for you then I'd address the other issues first.

Sounds to me that you need to shave the spacer for mid range improvement (see tech section).

There's also a post on polishing the engine.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 03/01/08 at 07:39:19

I'd be looking at the condition of the air filter and consider one that flows more air now that you have an open exhaust and more fuel. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 03/01/08 at 07:59:37

From what pict you posted (heat sheild covers a bunch and don't see a mounting bracket), most likely is some kind of Harley Dyna muffler, either a Harley Screaming Eagle Slash cut or an aftermarket.

Do a search on EBAY and search for "dyna muffler".  Then check all the pictures and compare with what you have.  Pay close attention to mounting bracket as the Dyna and Sportster models mount slightly differently.

As for power,  tech section has bunch of carb tuning threads.

Remember, on most bikes,  first 1/4 turn of throttle is low speed mixture screw (also called air screw on some bike),  1/4 to 3/4 is the needle ( white spacer adj's that) and 3/4 to WOT is main jet.    

Also,  check the spark plug  periodically after making a change.  It is your eyes to the inside of the engine.   Going too rich can foul the plug, and cause you to get stuck somewhere with an engine that is bucking and coughing  (trust me on this one  Wink  )

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
superior
Alliance Member

Savage 4 Life

Los Angeles Area, CA
Reply #5 - 03/01/08 at 08:11:11

verslagen1 wrote on 03/01/08 at 07:11:34:
How does it sound?  If it's good for you then I'd address the other issues first.

Sounds to me that you need to shave the spacer for mid range improvement (see tech section).

There's also a post on polishing the engine.

Thanks, I got a new spacer from ACE hardware #4 size nylon that is .062 thick (this should shave off about 2/3rds of the orig. size). I was able to get only 3 of the 4 screws loose on the top of the carb. The 4th screw is stuck and has started to strip (BUMMER!!!!) Any ideas on getting this screw out?

Also Will I notice a big difference once I replace this spacer? Thanks

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 03/01/08 at 08:24:28

superior wrote on 03/01/08 at 08:11:11:
I was able to get only 3 of the 4 screws loose on the top of the carb. The 4th screw is stuck and has started to strip (BUMMER!!!!) Any ideas on getting this screw out?

Also Will I notice a big difference once I replace this spacer? Thanks

Vice-grip pliers....  then a visit to the hardware store to replace it.  Look in the metric screw section....

Will you notice a difference...   probably.....   Grin

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #7 - 03/01/08 at 10:59:03

I have this same symptom on my 97 whenever the carburetor slide gets dirty.  When you get the top of the carb off, check the diaphragm for any pinholes or tears, then make sure the slide and carburetor bore are clean.  It doesn't take much to make it stick.  I use an aerosol carb cleaner for cleaning and wipe down with a clean soft cloth.

In fact, I don't think I would mess with shaving down the spacer until after you make sure the slide is clean and take the bike for a test ride.  When tuning a carburetor it helps to do only one thing at a time and see what the effect is before you try something else.

IP Logged
superior
Alliance Member

Savage 4 Life

Los Angeles Area, CA
Reply #8 - 03/01/08 at 23:45:15

ls650v wrote on 03/01/08 at 10:59:03:
I have this same symptom on my 97 whenever the carburetor slide gets dirty.  When you get the top of the carb off, check the diaphragm for any pinholes or tears, then make sure the slide and carburetor bore are clean.  It doesn't take much to make it stick.  I use an aerosol carb cleaner for cleaning and wipe down with a clean soft cloth.

In fact, I don't think I would mess with shaving down the spacer until after you make sure the slide is clean and take the bike for a test ride.  When tuning a carburetor it helps to do only one thing at a time and see what the effect is before you try something else.

Thanks for the recommendations!     Shocked WOW I couldn't believe what I found when I took off the top of the carb. The spring was coiled around inside of the top area of the carb (instead of it being compressed and in the vertical position it was wrapped around the inside top lid area like a slinky. I SUPPOSE that this is the MAIN reason why I was getting poor acceleration. I haven't finished installing it yet but I cannot wait to put it back together and ride it tomorrow!   Cool

IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/02/08 at 07:19:43

superior wrote on 03/01/08 at 23:45:15:
ls650v wrote on 03/01/08 at 10:59:03:

Thanks for the recommendations!     Shocked WOW I couldn't believe what I found when I took off the top of the carb. The spring was coiled around inside of the top area of the carb (instead of it being compressed and in the vertical position it was wrapped around the inside top lid area like a slinky. I SUPPOSE that this is the MAIN reason why I was getting poor acceleration. I haven't finished installing it yet but I cannot wait to put it back together and ride it tomorrow!   Cool

When you put the top back on, check it for warpage first. When the throttle is yanked open on a CV carb, it only controls the butterfly. The slide is completely controled by vacume, and a cleaning every year is a very good idea. If you'd like a little more ummph, drill the two holes in the bottome of the slide, just a little bigger. That will cause the slide to open faster when the throttle is opened. If someone runs a foam/gauze filter and over oils it a tad, then that oil gets on the slide, and over time collects dirt and causes friction that overtakes proper slide operation. For all thier glory, even fuel injected vehicles succumb to dirty intake tracts and dirty fuel delivery devices.

IP Logged
superior
Alliance Member

Savage 4 Life

Los Angeles Area, CA
Reply #10 - 03/02/08 at 13:33:58

THANKS TO ALL!

The Savage is now running perfectly!!!!!!!!!

Great Acceleration & Power throughout the low - mid - and high throttle!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:33:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Identify this Muffler? Ideas?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.