Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
OEM front pad life (Read 355 times)
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
OEM front pad life
02/29/08 at 17:52:29

Holy crap, I don't ride that hard (well, not sport bike hard), but the OEM pads I bought 6 months ago are already gone.  This is over the winter.  Granted, we don't have very hard winters here in OK.  I ride at least once a week (on average) from November to April.  However, I have put less than 5,000 miles on the Savage, since replacing the pads, and they are gone.  I mean down-to-the-metal gone.  I am trying the Vesrah pads this time.  I have the EBC shoes for the rear that are going on soon (when I get the time to replace the rubber on both ends as well).  If the Vesrah pads wear as quickly, I will have to give the EBC front pads a try.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: OEM front pad life
Reply #1 - 02/29/08 at 20:59:05

Uhm! I think that's normal. Mine only have 1 mm of thickness left after 4,000 miles. 70% of braking power comes from front brake and look how tiny those brake pads are  Shocked

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 02/29/08 at 22:16:06

3000-5000 miles on the front oem pads isn't bad - you have several options - soft ebc organic to pretty hard sbs ceramic you can use - it only takes 5 minutes to change the pads (if you stop to drink a beer  Smiley )

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 03/01/08 at 00:26:31

riding style??more stop than go??
got 8600 miles on my 06 with original pads and shoes,have a pair  of ebc been in the saddle bag since last spring...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/01/08 at 01:01:34

5,000 on the stockers was all she wrote. Maybe the stoppies arent such a great idea?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 03/01/08 at 02:29:49

Greg changed mine after 14,000 miles. getting pretty worn

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #6 - 03/01/08 at 05:06:41

over 9000 miles on ours, and dad locked up the front wheel during his DMV test a couple weeks ago, sadly he dumped the bike, stretched his knee, got a ride to the hospital in an ambulance, and didn't pass the test, because of it :'(.  in summary, the origional front brakes still work just fine.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 03/01/08 at 07:15:25

Well, it sounds like I am not the only one to burn through them in under 5k miles.  I am used to getting more out of a set of pads, but these are pretty thin.  I will just have to check them more often.  Most of my riding is in town on surface streets; so, a lot of stop and go.

The front brakes grabbed last night and locked the wheel.  It dumped me ignominiously on the street.  Nothing major broken on the Savage, nothing damaged on me (I love my leathers).  The right peg is toast, so I am down for at least a week while waiting for that to come in from the dealer.  On the bright side, this is now the perfect time to get new tires front and rear, since I can't ride it anyway.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 03/01/08 at 07:32:35

I changed to EBC red's (ceramic) awhile back.
Can't tell you life yet, but have 5k on them already.

But one noticeable effect, it takes more squeeze to stop.  
And no squeal either.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 03/01/08 at 07:34:04

No squeal would be fantastic.  I hate the way the stock pads squeal.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
TheFid

WE Come Unclean.

U.K.  Morecambe
Reply #10 - 03/01/08 at 07:35:42

Since I started using the back brake a lot more in conjuntion with the front one, i`ve found the front pads last longer.

Take it easy.but TAKE IT.
Man does not cease to ride because he gets old,Man gets old because he ceases to RIDE.
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #11 - 03/01/08 at 08:31:19

I put the EBC golds on mine at 6k.  I have put over 15,000 miles since and I still have about 30% pad left.  (can you tell I do alot of freeway riding?)

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #12 - 03/01/08 at 11:06:28

Part Number: EBC-FA106, $27.36 incl freight @ CruiserCustomising.com (888-302-9789) Yep replaced mine just before 5k miles Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 03/01/08 at 11:40:26

I put the ebc on at 80 miles because the ones on it squealed the ebc are better than stock ones.  Ive's had a lot of bikes over the years the only brakes that ever squealed was this one and my 1500 intruder.I don't no why that for years the bikes never squeal then the last 2 i have did.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 03/02/08 at 06:57:06

After checking the bike over, I feel like the front caliper may be sticking.  That would explain the short pad life.  I will be rebuilding the caliper this week.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:24:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OEM front pad life

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.