Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
OEM front pad life (Read 355 times)
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: OEM front pad life
Reply #15 - 03/02/08 at 12:53:59

After getting both wheels off of the bike this morning, I was surprised to find that the rear brake shoes were in surprisingly good shape.  Here are a few pictures of the old ones with a new one next to them for comparison.  I am seriously debating whether or not I need to change these shoes out at this time.  I may wait until fall.  What do you guys think?

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 03/02/08 at 13:10:55

Oh yeah, you got alot of life left in those.

WWW   IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 03/02/08 at 18:55:30

Cool, thanks verslagen.  I was thinking so, but I don't have a lot of experience with MC drum brakes.  I found out that my front fork had no pinch bolt in it to hold the front axle in place.  I don't think it is an incredibly critical part; but while I am ordering, I will order one of those as well.  Does anyone happen to know the bolt size on that pinch bolt?  If so, any socket head cap screw should work.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 03/02/08 at 20:08:16

I really don't think MC's are that much different than cages.  As long as you have some material, you're good to go.  The only danger that I know of is if you have less than 1/16" of material it can crack and come off.

WWW   IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #19 - 03/04/08 at 06:59:01

I get about 4-5K on a set. But I commute on my bike and it's almost all in-town stop and go stuff.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #20 - 03/05/08 at 11:56:27

I feel like I hardly ever use the breaks at all except coming to a sudden stop on the freeway and going from the bottom of first gear to a stop light. Engine breaking is typically more than sufficient for most around town riding for me. Then again, its probably harder on the engine than clicking into neutral and braking down to a light so... probably just depends on your habits.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 03/05/08 at 18:37:57

I do use engine braking quite often.  I believe that my problem is a sticky caliper.  I have parts on order for a rebuild and then I will flush the entire system.  I just got my wheels back today with the new rubber on them.  I can't wait to get all of my parts in and start riding again.  However, the weather is supposed to be really cold for the next few days, I may be able to get some wrench time in on Saturday...

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #22 - 03/05/08 at 22:01:46

Hey Steely, Who you getting to do your tire swapping locally? They doing computer spin balancing?

I've called the two small independent shops on Pine street: Ron's Cycleland; and Tulsa Cycle Supply, and they both seem reasonable. Just wondering if you've found another reasonable alternative?

Also stopped by the former "Farr's" on Admiral today, and it they've been bought out by "Action Cycle" out of Broken Arrow.

I'm overdue for some tires; and might as well get into the brakes and bearings while I'm tearing in.

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 03/06/08 at 05:46:04

I have had Ron's put the tires on my GS850 and my Savage, I don't believe that they are using computer spin balancing though.  They are reasonable and they have always been helpful when I am looking for old parts to modify my GS.  They usually just let me go wander around in the back (where all of the used parts are) and find whatever I want.

I don't believe I have ever been to Tulsa Cycle Supply.  It is a little too far east to be convenient for me.  Huh, I didn't know that Farr's had been bought out.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #24 - 03/09/08 at 05:11:52

joebothehobo wrote on 03/05/08 at 11:56:27:
I feel like I hardly ever use the breaks at all except coming to a sudden stop on the freeway and going from the bottom of first gear to a stop light. Engine breaking is typically more than sufficient for most around town riding for me. Then again, its probably harder on the engine than clicking into neutral and braking down to a light so... probably just depends on your habits.

Using the engine to brake won't hurt it at all, as long as your not downshifting to do it...that will wear out the clutch more quickly.  But, I wouldn't consider the clutch part of the engine.   Undecided

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:19:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OEM front pad life

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.