Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
rear shocks and spring rates (Read 731 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: rear shocks and spring rates
Reply #30 - 04/07/08 at 15:11:45

Right I forgot.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 04/07/08 at 18:46:05

welp, I bit the bullet and bought a pair of 412-4005's, found some appropriate sized material for bushings and bolted em up.  I am running them at the 3rd click up on preload and it seems ok (195lbs plus beer weight.....)  It had been so long since I rode it pre mod, I cant offer a clear opinion on how it feels pre and post.  In retrospect, maybe I shoulda gotten the heavier ones, I will be able to tell better when I carry a full size passenger.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 09/04/08 at 17:51:13

Just got a pair of 412-4005's for $130+shipping.  rode in on the 1st position, thought I might as well stuck with the stocks.  Rode home on the 2nd position, hmmm, who put the cloud under my butt?  it floats, but not high enough yet,  bumps are still there.  Tomorrow #3.

WWW   IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #33 - 09/04/08 at 18:22:21

I am a little large but I am loving my shocks (see sig) I ride it on one. two with one of my daughters on the back. In the interest of not getting hit, lets just say I have to do some adjust them up if the wife is back there.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 09/04/08 at 23:10:26

Lancer said:
I must say that the 412's made a cushier ride than the 418's, which are more firm (came from a superglide) and make for a better performance ride for hard core cornering and such.

When I softened the setting on the stock shocks, the rear end would run up & down quicker in turns, the handlebar wobble increased, when I went to the stiffest setting, the wobble, still quite scary & requiring slowing in sweepers, was lessened & came on at higher speeds.

KWAK Nut said

I hope I get this right

"If sag isn't right the bike will be a nightmare to ride"

How is correct sag determined? Is the goal to put the swingarm almost level with just the sag, so that it will be level when the G forces put pressure on the suspension? Is it ever okay to have the swing arm pivot lower than the axle in a corner?

I am still perplexed with the heaving up & down of the rear end as the handlebars saw back & forth. I cant figure which happens first or which one causes the other. Ive played with tire pressures & have gained MPH out of 3 turns, but that sweeper remains terrifying at the same speed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #35 - 09/05/08 at 01:07:37

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/04/08 at 23:10:26:
How is correct sag determined? Is the goal to put the swingarm almost level with just the sag, so that it will be level when the G forces put pressure on the suspension? Is it ever okay to have the swing arm pivot lower than the axle in a corner?

I am still perplexed with the heaving up & down of the rear end as the handlebars saw back & forth. I cant figure which happens first or which one causes the other. Ive played with tire pressures & have gained MPH out of 3 turns, but that sweeper remains terrifying at the same speed.

Correct suspension sag has very little to do with pivot points and axle heights. Dynamic sag is in short the difference between rear ride height unladen and laden. Lift the rear off the ground, measure from the axle straight up to a fixed point, repeat with you on the bike and a helper doing the measuring. PM me the measurements and I'll help you further. I think we discussed the weave a while ago and you suspected the tyres - it's still the insufficient rear damping so whatever the spring preload the weave won't go away until you replace the shocks.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #36 - 09/05/08 at 02:03:40

I've not looked up figures for cruisers and customs, but for sprots bikes and dirt bikes, sag makes a massive difference to how the bike feels.

First, you adjust the rear pre-load so that there is, say, 1/2 or 3/4 inch 'sag' at the back end when the bike is empty.  You just measure the difference between the fender height when the bike is sat under its own weight, and when you lift it to take the shock to full extension - that's static sag.

Then, you sit on the bike, and find the sag with rider weight.  It should be something like 2 or 3 inches on most bikes.

By adjusting the suspension pre-load, the idea is to set the spring to have both sag measurements within limits.  Problems arise with very heavy or very light riders.  If you don’t wind it up enough for the heavy rider, it’s probably going to bottom out on bumps, so you have to wind up the spring to compensate for his weight.  But, because you set the ridden sag high enough for a heavy rider, you end up with the bike on full extension when static, which means there's potential for the bike to bounce to full shock extension on the road and have the wheel skip off the tarmac on bumps.  

When you get that, you need a stiffer spring for the rider’s weight.

I've cut down the rear springs on my Savage by about 3/4 inch which makes it sit very cute at the back end, and it rarely bottoms out, but I couldn't ride it 2-up.  It rdes nicely enough but ground clearance is affected but I only use the bike round town and don't mind taking it easy round bends (- I use my ZX12R for that!)

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #37 - 09/05/08 at 02:14:11

KwakNut wrote on 09/05/08 at 02:03:40:
Then, you sit on the bike, and find the sag with rider weight.  It should be something like 2 or 3 inches on most bikes.

I agree with your post but maybe not with this dynamic sag - I'd say 35mm would be close on everyday use and 25 to 30 for performance minded riding. Plus the ratio between static and dynamic sags tells if the spring rate's good - although it's a bit academic.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #38 - 09/05/08 at 02:30:27

You're right - I was thinking of enduro bikes there, well under 2 inches for most road bikes.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 09/05/08 at 08:03:45

I'll look at the sag thing. I am leaning toward the rear shocks just not being up to the task. The one thing that I do see about the bike is, short radius turns are stable & long radius arent. So, with that as a clue, do you guys Still indict the rear shocks? I feel good enough about the tires. I just cant see the small amount of wear creating such a ride.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #40 - 09/05/08 at 09:07:13

Rode in on #3 this morn, very nice.  The neck snapping bump has been reduced to a mere bump.

And ease of adjustment is well worth the upgrade.  Using the supplied wrench, it's twist and go.  You don't have to dismount the shocks to get them to turn.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #41 - 09/05/08 at 11:53:09

I guess I'm coming in to this one a bit late, but I've been real happy with my Hagons

A couple of e-mail back & forth, and I ended up with the right ones!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:23:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear shocks and spring rates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.