Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
rear shocks and spring rates (Read 731 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: rear shocks and spring rates
Reply #15 - 03/01/08 at 08:26:56

One of the first things I did and the best thing,got the 412-4233c shocks 115-155 springs,I weight 165,use middle setting, makes the seat feel pretty good now.2006 once I got about 800 miles on it the seat seem to break in,I don't think the seat is bad,I didn't raise the front . take about 1/2 the jolt out when you hit a hard bump. 11 inchers

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #16 - 03/02/08 at 10:28:32

There seems to be plenty of choice in shocks to raise the back of the bike, but what about lowering it?
I'm wanting to drop the back end of my 96 Savage by about 2 inches, so I think I want a pair of shocks about an inch lower, and somewhat stiffer to avoid bottoming out.  

I see that one user on here has had stiffer springs custom made, but has anybody come across shocks or springs off the shelf that will lower/stiffen the back of the bike?  I'm happy for a little stiffer but don't want to go hard tail.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 03/02/08 at 14:47:28

You are going to be hard pressed to find shocks shorter than the stock 10.5" units, and they barely have any travel at all.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #18 - 03/02/08 at 18:08:00

Just as a point of reference: The stock shocks on my 99 have been lowered almost an inch (approx 3/4"). The bike can be loaded to about 300 pounds with the pre-load set on the hardest setting; and the shocks won't bottom out until hitting a really hard bump. I'd guesstimate that the shocks have less than 2" of potential travel. Anything less, and you might as well go to a hard tail. But personally I wouldn't give up that 1-1/2" (or so) of stiff suspension for anything, knowing what a hard tail would do to my back.

For handling purposes I find the shocks adequate, but for comfort I wouldn't mind having another inch or more of spring under my seat!  Wink

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #19 - 03/03/08 at 05:00:52

I'll contrast that to my 412s.  I ride it with the lightest pre-load setting (solo) and clicked up 2 notches with my wife in pillion.

With the solo setting, the bike drops less than 1/2" from full extension (it makes changing the shocks ever so muc easier!)  When I'm on, I drop another 3/4 of an inch, but it is a very plush compression. I haven't measured how much shock travel I have left, but there is alot of room to go.

With the 412s, I have not bottomed out, no matter what I ride over.  I used to bottom all the time with the stock shocks, set in the 5th preload position (as high as they could go), especially after putting the 140/90 tire on the rear.

The only thing I regret doing is not putting these on my bike sooner.  Yes, they really do make that much difference!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 03/08/08 at 07:17:03

Rockin_John wrote on 03/02/08 at 18:08:00:
Just as a point of reference: The stock shocks on my 99 have been lowered almost an inch (approx 3/4"). The bike can be loaded to about 300 pounds with the pre-load set on the hardest setting; and the shocks won't bottom out until hitting a really hard bump. I'd guesstimate that the shocks have less than 2" of potential travel. Anything less, and you might as well go to a hard tail. But personally I wouldn't give up that 1-1/2" (or so) of stiff suspension for anything, knowing what a hard tail would do to my back.
For handling purposes I find the shocks adequate, but for comfort I wouldn't mind having another inch or more of spring under my seat!  Wink
Did you lower it or did the bike come that way?  
Yours sounds like just about the rear end I'm looking for, but I don't want to spend silly money on having a pair of springs custom made.  If I can find an off-the-shelf supplier of lowered shocks or shorter springs, it'll make my day.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #21 - 03/08/08 at 14:20:49

KwakNut wrote on 03/08/08 at 07:17:03:
Yours sounds like just about the rear end I'm looking for, but I don't want to spend silly money on having a pair of springs custom made.  If I can find an off-the-shelf supplier of lowered shocks or shorter springs, it'll make my day.

According to the guy I bought my 99 from: Some previous owner paid a shop to lower the shock springs on mine. But at least one person on this forum has done it themselves; if you can use the search feature to dig up who it was and the details of how they went about it, you're in business. I do recall that if you up the size of the rear tire, and then drop the rear an inch or more, you will have problems with tire to fender clearance (rubbing).

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 03/08/08 at 14:48:58

You can take the shock apart,Its not easy, cut off the rod and re thread,It will be hard but put the spring back in or cut the spring or get shorter spring.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 03/08/08 at 16:17:13

Rockin_John wrote on 03/08/08 at 14:20:49:
KwakNut wrote on 03/08/08 at 07:17:03:

According to the guy I bought my 99 from: Some previous owner paid a shop to lower the shock springs on mine. But at least one person on this forum has done it themselves; if you can use the search feature to dig up who it was and the details of how they went about it, you're in business. I do recall that if you up the size of the rear tire, and then drop the rear an inch or more, you will have problems with tire to fender clearance (rubbing).
If it's the guy I'm thinking of (Odar), he had springs made in Sweden - might be a little tricky to track down the same spring shop!
I'll sniff around and see what I can find - there's a lot of light industry round my home city but I don't know anybody who makes one-off springs.
I'll keep the tyre diameter in mind, though no intention to increase it for now.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 03/08/08 at 16:22:40

bill67 wrote on 03/08/08 at 14:48:58:
  You can take the shock apart,Its not easy, cut off the rod and re thread,It will be hard but put the spring back in or cut the spring or get shorter spring.
I must admit I’ve considered that option, but I'll probably end up cutting down the rod and re-threading, but it would really need a new shorter, stiffer spring.
Using the standard spring with a shorter rod would mean no sag, and the ride height under load would probably be the same as it is standard (I weigh about 235 without clothes so I’d compress it a fair bit anyway).  I’m not sure about cruisers, but my experience of off-road bikes and sport bikes is that they are nightmares to ride if the sag is wrong.

Cutting the spring without a properly finished flat base will undoubtedly make it sit off-centre round the rod - I could turn and dremel a specially-formed seat from ally bar to locate the cut-off coils but still be left with too little tension to make up for the reduced travel, so I guess I may have no option but to pay for a pair of springs to be made!

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #25 - 03/10/08 at 05:57:13

My 412-4005c shocks are 90-135lbs.

I like how plush mine feel compared to stock (especially when alot of pre-load is dialed in for 2 up riding.)

If you're wanting to cut down the shock length by shortening the rod, I'd seriously suggest getting a heavier progressive spring (like Bill67's 115-155).  Otherwise, you are likely to have no shock travel left and might as well be riding a hard-tail.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/10/08 at 08:22:26

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 03/10/08 at 05:57:13:
My 412-4005c shocks are 90-135lbs.

I like how plush mine feel compared to stock (especially when alot of pre-load is dialed in for 2 up riding.)

If you're wanting to cut down the shock length by shortening the rod, I'd seriously suggest getting a heavier progressive spring (like Bill67's 115-155).  Otherwise, you are likely to have no shock travel left and might as well be riding a hard-tail.
And they need to be shorter as well as stiffer, or the shock will be at full extension most of the time.

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #27 - 04/07/08 at 14:48:45

I've been all over the forum reading everything I can find about replacing the stock shocks with a pair from Progression Suspension. I've decided on 412-4232c's but out of curiuosity I sent an e-mail to the company and asked them what model I should be ordering and the big metric question. There reponse: "Unfortunately we don’t offer anything for that particular bike. Sorry for the inconvenience".

Will a pair of 412-4232 get me the metric bushings for an easy fit?

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 04/07/08 at 15:06:15

Mine are 412-4233c came with two sets of bushing one of them worked. I don't know what the c means .

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #29 - 04/07/08 at 15:08:13

C= Chrome
B= Black

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:30:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear shocks and spring rates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.