Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
You don't know how lucky you are, boys (2) ...... (Read 451 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
You don't know how lucky you are, boys (2) ......
02/26/08 at 03:42:26

Count your blessings, Savage people.  

Not only do you have OE parts, you have improvement parts and detailed pictorial how to's on how to fix the relatively FEW Savage defects that exist -- you also have the real living experts actually participating daily that will answer your questions.  

(yeah, Greg still counts as a very useful answer as he does give out detailed good info once he gets past his "check search" reminder -- he's here, he's responsive and he is informational)

People say the Savage is a simple bike -- it was also well designed to be ROBUST both electrically and mechanically (only exception noted is the cam chain tensioner system).

That's ONE (1) major defect that is well covered, understood and documented.  Yamaha viragos have at least 3-4 major areas to foul up on you, parts are scarce, dealers won't work on a bike past 10 years old (as Yamaha drops parts support on them) and the on line experts (who never apparently owned a camera) have departed the building and are not in evidence anymore.

Count your blessings Savage people.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: You don't know how lucky you are, boys (2) ...
Reply #1 - 02/26/08 at 04:42:31

AMEN

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - 02/26/08 at 11:30:02

I must agree, I've never been more happy owning anything which may require maintenance cause you savage folks know what you're doing, I mean hell, we even have our own store where people make custom parts

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 02/26/08 at 17:34:43

maybe reelthing needs a new boat anchor or can create a small offshore reef wiht your virago.... Roll Eyes

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 02/27/08 at 14:41:16

What in the world are you talking about, boat anchor?

My non-OE company-supported Flying Purple People Eater shall rise up again, snarl and bite off all those errant typing fingers what said such a thing.

She shall be missing all her PC correct (but totally nonfunctional) exhaust pulse valve powered active pollution control systems and curl around the cylinders chrome piping.  She shall have multiple non-standard extra electrical grounding points and she shall have two solid copper billets where her spark plug RF suppressor gizmos used to be.

She shall have custom circuitry that bypasses certain "avoidable energy drains" on her recalibrated battery charging systems.  She shall have two new style Iridium low voltage firing spark plugs to give RED BULL wings to her poor old aching coils.

She shall have custom mixed touch up paint filling in all her little whoopie marks on tank and fenders to exactly match her faded Ponderous Purple Pulchritude.

She shall be missing all five of her major mud dauber nests and the all the multitude of perverted previous owner's tape and bubble gum wiring repairs.  She shall have a multitude of cleaned and refreshed plug-in males and tighted-up females, all eager to mate together again.

She shall have adjusted valves and pressure tested piston rings.  New oil and new oil filter.  She shall have her shaft drive sup new gear stuff such as that never even existed in her virgin youth.

And she shall eventually roar out, and race forward to approach the magical ton again, using all the down & dirty modern magics of electrical cheats and mods mated to an oversized rear tire.

For she actually has a Title now, clean and clear & taxes paid -- new plates with insurance to match.  She is a 14 year old obsolete "legal beagle" miracle bike.

And she shall forever more be called a CHALLENGE, one worthy of the effort.

<g>

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 02/27/08 at 18:36:37

Shocked

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 02/28/08 at 03:09:17

it's called a winter time project bike .....

One ya gotta have faith for.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 02/28/08 at 07:38:03

so its a love/hate relationship???

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 02/28/08 at 21:50:28

depends if the ungrateful b!tch refuses to start after I finally finish fixing her

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 03/02/08 at 18:22:40

She's a purple sweetheart, cranked right on up for me.  So it's a love relationship for now.

Now we'll see about some of those minor cosmetic issues ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 03/02/08 at 19:01:08

Cool, glad to hear it.  I would rather have cosmetic issues than mechanical ones.  Much easier to ignore. Grin

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 03/03/08 at 16:24:08

Ton report -- Flying Purple People Eater  (14 year old XV 535 Virago)

Wearing a small windshield (half shield) I revved her up to 95 fairly quickly several times before the RPM cut out began to work.  Said electronics were being fooled a bit by removal of resistance in the sparking circuit and were allowing a few extra RPM (used low resistance easy firing iridium plugs which didn't exist back when the bike was designed, removed all RF noise inhibitor resistors from the spark plug caps and provided for somewhat easier breathing on the air filter).

Tucked in tight behind the half shield and went for a downhill speed run.  95 came quick, then she slowly started crreeeping up, 97, 98, 99 .... I looked down at 102 then the air blast suddenly pulled my face shield up all the way and I rolled off the throttle right quick-like.

Bike ran just fine all the way home, had to apologize to the old girl for soiling her seat like that (you try being all tucked in and WHAM!! full on air blast in the face at ton speeds and see if you don't spot your drawers a bit.  Pulls your eyelids open at the edges, it does).

life is good,

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 03/03/08 at 17:55:24

if you see a piston rod hit the ground let me know - wind as its been lately could use a little more weight on the bottom

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 03/03/08 at 21:42:56

Yamaha is notoriously conservative on their RPM limits -- people have been pushing their rev limiters on these bikes for quite a while now.  Electronics and starter gearing will go to the crapper on you, but the base mechanicals have been sound for 20 years on these bikes.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 03/04/08 at 04:54:32

hope so - I've been hitting the rev limiter on this 200cc too often- it's geared so low need to either speed shift it all the time or just leave it in 3rd/4th/5th - I believe you can walk beside it wot in 1st

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:17:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › You don't know how lucky you are, boys (2) ......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.