Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
the great oil debate! (Read 425 times)
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Re: the great oil debate!
Reply #30 - 02/26/08 at 20:40:10

Yes, I've used Amsoil 10w-40 in my machine after the engine was broken in. It is the best possible lubricant you can use. Go to their website and look at the numbers. Mobil 1 is your second choice.
Do not use dinosaur sludge like Castrol, Pennzoil, Kendall, Quaker State, Valvolene, etc. These parafin based oils will sludge up.
These dinosaur oils are not used in turbine aircraft engines because they will not stand up to the heat. Oils like Amsoil and Mobil 1 are used in aircraft engines today.
Beware of the term "synthetic" in popular oils. These are not PAO based, and are really petrolium (dinosaur) oils.
By the way, do not use Amsoil or Mobil 1 during engine break-in, or the rings won't seat properly. You want high wear during break-in. After break-in, you want to minimize wear, friction, and heat. The suggested breakin distance is 1500-2000 miles. Run the original oil 750 miles then run the second 750 miles on the Suzuki dinosaur oil. Change filter at every oil change. Then flip to a real synthetic. You can run the synthetic 1500 miles, change it, and keep the old oil and use it in your lawnmower.
The Amsoil will protect the cam chain better too, so you can go a lot longer without worrying about that as well.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #31 - 02/26/08 at 20:49:12

So if you cannot use it for break-in oil, why does Corvette,other US high performance, and most European high end performance car engines come with it as factory fill? Also be aware that according to the information I have. only a very few oils are true synthetics and they are category V. Amsoil, generally Mobil and most other claimed synthetics are CAT IV, still an improvement over straight dyno oil.  see. http://www.motorwatch.com/images/oilclassifications.jpg    
AS you can tell some manufactures move from one category to the other and us as consumers cannot tell the difference. I believe Castrol was one who moved from V - IV at some point in time.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Reply #32 - 02/26/08 at 21:19:30

going to get the Amsoil 10w-40 they have that. I have to go two towns over to get the mobil 1.  So Amsiol wins for my bike this time around! Plus it is close.  that is what happens if you live in ME. you have to go to a few stores be for you find what you need, even for a dam jar of peanutbutter.

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Reply #33 - 02/27/08 at 12:16:49

Amsoil 9.10 per a bottle.  Alot mor the the mobil 1 . at 6 to 7 dollers.

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #34 - 02/27/08 at 12:54:00

The motorcycle-specific Mobil-1 is >$8/quart at my local Wal-Mart.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #35 - 02/27/08 at 13:29:58

I saw a tired ol Savage at a Wal-Mart in Mineola Texas. It had a lot of miles on it, over 80,000 miles on it. I am willing to bet it never saw oil that cost over 30 bucks a gallon.
How many miles can the bike go on an oilchange using the Mobil or Amsoil?
Does the filter need replaced at 3,000 miles even IF the oil doesnt get changed?
If the cam chain lasts longer & the oil is so good that there is less friction & it boosts MPG( I've heard Royal Purple IS that good, but I was only talking about the car at the time, so I dont know if that stuff can be used in the 650) , then if it will run for 6,000 miles on one oilchange, I might be swayed myself. Even if the MPG isnt impacted, going 6,ooo miles without draining it sounds good. Think of the hassle that would have saved Beat Duck out on the road.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:24:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › the great oil debate!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.