Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
the great oil debate! (Read 425 times)
Capt._Ron
Ex Member

Re: the great oil debate!
Reply #15 - 02/26/08 at 07:31:19

Thanks Savage_Rob, I needed that. Even the auto parts store guys couldn't answer my questions.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #16 - 02/26/08 at 10:56:03

This oil and filter change I've gone for Motul's 100% synthese 300V Factory line 15W50. It says on the bottle "double ester", does anybody know what this means? (I think it means good).

Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 02/26/08 at 12:18:54

klx650sm2002 wrote on 02/26/08 at 10:56:03:
This oil and filter change I've gone for Motul's 100% synthese 300V Factory line 15W50. It says on the bottle "double ester", does anybody know what this means? (I think it means good).

Clive W  Smiley

I've been considering trying Motorex Power SYNT 4T 10w60.  It's a Swiss-made full synthetic that says it's suitable for wet-clutch applications.  To my thinking, a full synthetic that flows like a 10w at startup and then retains greater viscosity at operating temps is better.  I was thinking either of that or Redline's 20w60 full synthetic.  Still, Mobil1 20w50 full synthetic is noticeably less costly than either of those.  If I was relatively sure it gave me suitable protection in 100+ degree weather in the summer, I'd stick with it.  Most of the ratings Mobil1 got in independent tests look like it's really good stuff.  I'm doing more reading.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dark Savage
YaBB Newbies

Austin, TX
Reply #18 - 02/26/08 at 12:30:10

Clive W  Smiley

I'm not sure what "double ester" means but I know that ester refers to the type of base oil that is used. Not very many oils use it (only Motul and Elf as far as I know) but it supposedly has very good cleaning properties. Maybe "double ester" means it uses twice the amount of ester base oil as their synthetic blend. That's just a guess though.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 02/26/08 at 13:00:36

It might also mean they use multiple types of esters.  Check this out.  Pretty good reading - at least to me.

http://www.scooterhelp.com/genmaintain/crankcase.oil.html

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 02/26/08 at 13:24:41

Clive W  Smiley

This is one of the oils in the independent tests commissioned by AMSOIL.  It had mixed results.  Some great, some not so great.

barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #21 - 02/26/08 at 16:19:41

Soon wrote on 02/25/08 at 18:31:09:
Has any one heard of Amsoil 10w-40 for motorcycles?

Yes!  That's all I run.  In independent tests, Amsoil 10-40 m/c oil beat every other m/c oil overall.  That and Amsoil 20-50 m/c oil are at the absolute top of the heap.  Mobil 1 20-50 ran a close second, and Mobil 1 10-40 wasn't even close!  If you want to see the actual test results, PM me, and I'll email...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #22 - 02/26/08 at 16:24:13

Oh, I see Savage Rob already included the link.  That's the same test I would email you.  Look carefully thru that, then make your decision.  If you've got questions about specific test parameters, I may be able to answer...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Reply #23 - 02/26/08 at 16:36:47

So with the amsoil can you go longer with it, like you can with mobil 1 10w-40? between oil changes, If I had no chance to change my oil?  I the mean time I will go and read the report on Amsoil.

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #24 - 02/26/08 at 16:58:21

I just use Quaker State 10W40 and have no problems what so ever.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 02/26/08 at 17:05:39

I used some oil, and changed it, no problems. I used some other oil, changed it no problems. Then one time I use some.... oil, then changed it, no problems. I think I'm gona keep useing oil, although oil is better than oil, I'll stick with oil cause its worked so far. I heard of a brother of a cousins father who used oil for many years with no problems, and he would swear by that oil. I read of an independent test of oil against oil, and maybe some oil, of course the oil was better. I knew one fella who used oil instead of oil, and did'nt change it often enough, because he thought oil was better than oil, that thing sure used a lot of oil after a while. There is this reading material that comes with vehicles, that says oil is good, and no oil is bad, and they also have a service chart in most of them, which most ppl just disregard, because oil is so good. The British took over India for.........cotton. Cotton is good.

Does anyone know if a manufacturer will void engine warranty if recomended oil change intervals were grossly exceeded? Will these oil manufacturers stand behind your engine operating outside of recomended service with thier product? Do syntheic oils claim longer change intervals to offset the cost? Jello is goooooood.(I think banana would work well)

I probally should use 10-40 during the winter, the 20-50 i think is only remomended down to 30*, no, the manual says its ok down to 14*F. Whew, that was a close one, now I can sleep.

IP Logged
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Reply #26 - 02/26/08 at 17:19:28

Onederer wrote on 02/26/08 at 17:05:39:
I used some oil, and changed it, no problems. I used some other oil, changed it no problems. Then one time I use some.... oil, then changed it, no problems. I think I'm gona keep useing oil, although oil is better than oil, I'll stick with oil cause its worked so far. I heard of a brother of a cousins father who used oil for many years with no problems, and he would swear by that oil. I read of an independent test of oil against oil, and maybe some oil, of course the oil was better. I knew one fella who used oil instead of oil, and did'nt change it often enough, because he thought oil was better than oil, that thing sure used a lot of oil after a while. There is this reading material that comes with vehicles, that says oil is good, and no oil is bad, and they also have a service chart in most of them, which most ppl just disregard, because oil is so good. The British took over India for.........cotton. Cotton is good.

Does anyone know if a manufacturer will void engine warranty if recomended oil change intervals were grossly exceeded? Will these oil manufacturers stand behind your engine operating outside of recomended service with thier product? Do syntheic oils claim longer change intervals to offset the cost? Jello is goooooood.(I think banana would work well)

I probally should use 10-40 during the winter, the 20-50 i think is only remomended down to 30*, no, the manual says its ok down to 14*F. Whew, that was a close one, now I can sleep.

Grin sleep well

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #27 - 02/26/08 at 17:28:23

running amsoil 10/40 in my 06 since 1st change over 8k now summer get some 100f days winter(this)couple of zeros...i only ride above 40f
(black ice)but start er up every 14 days or so...change oil as prescribed in om..our local suzuki dealer started carring amsoil last year..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 02/26/08 at 17:41:12

I'm not being a help at all with the Amsoil thing at all. Bad bad member, third member, I should put myself in da closet with da rabid beaver.

I think Mobil is setting themselves up for a law suit with the Rover comercials. I glad I use Mobil, I feel good knowing I'll be helping pay for that. Is there a very very quick and small disclaimer at the end of the Mobil comercial? I think I'll buy a new vehicle and change the oil every 25,000? miles with Mobil, and when the dealerships says the failure is my fault I'll say, NO, its Mobil's. A settlement will follow, and many happy(paid for) years of riding. I USE MOBIL, I also use several other brands of oil in various machines, and have had no oil related failures. That my independent test.

How about a bottled water debate? If the water debate is'nt as strong as the oil debate, does that mean ppl care more about what they put in thier machines, than in themselves? I accidentaly tasted some penzoil 10-30 once, and wonder if 10-40 taste different.

IP Logged
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Reply #29 - 02/26/08 at 17:56:15

I'll tell you oil or oil taste the same, yucky! Shocked I tasted it by accdent, spashed up at me while depositing in in the oil bine at the recycle center. Tongue

polen springs v's vitimen water?

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:25:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › the great oil debate!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.