Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wheels (Read 552 times)
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: Wheels
Reply #15 - 02/28/08 at 15:19:20

verslagen1 wrote on 02/28/08 at 14:26:33:
Gonna have to install it again soon to take a measurement for the adapter.  some have suggested mounting the gs brakes on the savage, not that I'm completely opposed to that (as I snagged the matching caliper for a $1) just not sure which way I should go.

I would go with the GS brakes.  My GS stops quite a bit quicker than my Savage, even though it is almost twice as heavy.  Having dual front disks may have something to do with that, though.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #16 - 02/28/08 at 15:22:37

i think that they are directional, and yours should go the other way. will be right when you flip it around. my gs has a drum rear. but it is a 750. shoild be pretty easy to find wheels like that at any bike salvage yard.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 06/28/08 at 21:47:39

Interested to know what happened with this.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 06/28/08 at 23:10:40

The gs650 disk is .25 thick (or so) and the gs450 is .200 (or so), close enough to the savage not to worry about.  I got the gs450 disk and cut it down to match the savage disk. Using 2 1.25 or 1.28 (i'm no where near my notes going on memmory) spacers on the axle to center the wheel between the forks.  Comparing the new disk from the savage disk, I needed to space the disk out .28 from the wheel.  Spacers are available in .25 and .31 thick.  Got a set of both, tried the .31 and the caliper couldn't find a center that didn't rub on the disk.  put on the .25 and it was fine.  Been running for a couple of months this way with no issues.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #19 - 06/29/08 at 02:34:00

PerrydaSavage wrote on 02/28/08 at 14:08:12:
Wow!! Am really likin' those mag wheels! Hope you get the braking issues straightened out ... which brings a potentially "stupid" question ... pic showing front wheel with brake disc on the wrong side ... could that be just flipped over so the disc is on the left and tire re-mounted with directional rotation towards front? If it would though, I'm sure you would've already done it Smiley

That wouldn't work because the wheel would be upside down Wink

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 06/30/08 at 12:30:08

verslagen1 wrote on 06/28/08 at 23:10:40:
The gs650 disk is .25 thick (or so) and the gs450 is .200 (or so), close enough to the savage not to worry about.  I got the gs450 disk and cut it down to match the savage disk. Using 2 1.25 or 1.28 (i'm no where near my notes going on memmory) spacers on the axle to center the wheel between the forks.  Comparing the new disk from the savage disk, I needed to space the disk out .28 from the wheel.  Spacers are available in .25 and .31 thick.  Got a set of both, tried the .31 and the caliper couldn't find a center that didn't rub on the disk.  put on the .25 and it was fine.  Been running for a couple of months this way with no issues.

What are you doing about the rear wheel?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 06/30/08 at 21:35:10

sitting on the rear wheel untill I can find time to mess with it.
also have a new tire that I intend to wear out before I swap it out.
so far the intent is to make an adapter plate with the same config as our stock wheel.  Or have some tabs welded in there.

WWW   IP Logged
Starzuki
YaBB Newbies

Is today your day?

Reply #22 - 07/04/08 at 22:55:00

Having some experience with chopper projects in the past, conversions to different wheelsets aren't impossible. But you have to keep in mind what's being changed.

The wheelsets initially show on the link at the top of this post (and many others) are typically for harley or harley aftermarket. Using these sets you'll be needing to swap more than just the wheels. You're dealing with the driveline, braking and not to mention spacing and fitment which can be very trying.

Long story short, if you're going to be making the swap of any wheelsets, it should be a winter project. With some determination, forethought and just plain luck, you can make just about anything you want fit. Its really just a matter of how much money you have and how much time you're willing to take. PM me if you want more details.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:22:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wheels

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.