Send Topic Print
Wheels (Read 552 times)
Savage13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wheels
02/20/08 at 21:47:43

I hopefully get to pick up my 05 s40 within the next 3 weeks, gettin my cash right. Only problem i have is the wheels, every pic i've seen posted has the same wire factory wheels, are there no aftermarkets that will fit our lovely thumpers? I'd love to have a set of Savages from Picard, but can't even find a referance to anyone using any type of aftermarket wheels on a s40  :'(

http://www.pickardusa.com/gallery/outdoorpics/outdoorpics.html#

IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Re: Wheels
Reply #1 - 02/21/08 at 05:57:38

In about a month I should have mine done. I'm using early GS wheels. Already had the front one on for a test fit, then bead blasted, and painted black, about done with it. I just picked up the rear yesterday, and am going to test fit soon. Front is 19" like the stocker, rear is a 16", which should work fine. I cross referanced a few parts a while back, and found some wheels that won't take much to fit. The rear uses the same shoes as the savage, and takes the same kind of drive hub, so the pulley swap is straight foward. Since these use tubless tires, a flat fix on the road will be quicker. Before this, I thought about laceing up some aluminum rims to the stock hubs, but thats about as far as I got with that. I never looked for aluminum hoops that would work, but there're probally are some.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 02/21/08 at 14:07:18

Lookin' forward to seein' pics of that Onederer! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/21/08 at 16:10:16

Trial fit, one step closer. Mainly just sorting spacer length, then its a go.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #4 - 02/21/08 at 17:38:24

now yer makin me think about stripping this gs i have. paint the centers black and polish the lip. i probably wont do it though, too many projects so little money.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #5 - 02/21/08 at 22:05:49

Looking forward to seeing the whole setup!! Looks great!!! Smiley

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #6 - 02/22/08 at 05:10:54

excellent!

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/25/08 at 20:52:53

Trial fit of a GS650.

yes the disk is on the wrong side.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #8 - 02/25/08 at 22:56:44

mags, windshields, radios, ect.  all that stuff belongs on a cage not a bike.  Shocked   Cool

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #9 - 02/27/08 at 19:23:29

verslagen1 wrote on 02/25/08 at 20:52:53:
Trial fit of a GS650.

yes the disk is on the wrong side.

aw come on ....front brakes are soooo over rated anyway  Wink

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 02/27/08 at 20:10:49

Not having one would remove 90% of my braking ability.

As I only use the rears when I want someone to know that I'm there and I'm braking.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/27/08 at 23:27:32

verslagen, I like that style of GS wheel, but I could'nt find a rear that style with drum brakes. I wanted some thing easy, and did'nt feel like fabing up parts for rear disc. If you mount those, and do a rear disc conversion, that would be sweet.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 02/28/08 at 09:08:18

Onederer wrote on 02/27/08 at 23:27:32:
verslagen, I like that style of GS wheel, but I could'nt find a rear that style with drum brakes. I wanted some thing easy, and did'nt feel like fabing up parts for rear disc. If you mount those, and do a rear disc conversion, that would be sweet.

That is my plan.  

Currently working on (or should I say want to work on) adapter for savage disk to gs wheel (6 bolt pattern).  I'm nearing needing to replace the front tire and would like to complete in time for this.  The wheel otherwise is a close match.  Need to double check the spacers.

Rear wheel will be more fun.  The wheel I have is for shaft drive and disk brake.  The dampers are of a different design, the dampers are set in holes and engage with the drive plate by studs.  I'll need to make my own pulley adapter.  A flat plate with a spacer for the pulley.

BTW: when I bought this set of wheels, there were several with chain drive and drum brake that may have been a direct swap.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 02/28/08 at 14:08:12

Wow!! Am really likin' those mag wheels! Hope you get the braking issues straightened out ... which brings a potentially "stupid" question ... pic showing front wheel with brake disc on the wrong side ... could that be just flipped over so the disc is on the left and tire re-mounted with directional rotation towards front? If it would though, I'm sure you would've already done it Smiley

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 02/28/08 at 14:26:33

abbalutely!

I installed it backwards to check the spacing of the axial and I don't think there's anything directional about these brakes.  Anyone?

The disk itself is quite a bit thicker than the savage so not compatible.  And offsets are different.

Gonna have to install it again soon to take a measurement for the adapter.  some have suggested mounting the gs brakes on the savage, not that I'm completely opposed to that (as I snagged the matching caliper for a $1) just not sure which way I should go.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:22:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wheels

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.