Send Topic Print
Tapping (Read 186 times)
03Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tapping
02/19/08 at 21:18:07

Ok. I just bought my 2003 Suzuki Savage with high miles (29,000) for $900 because it was a deal I couldn't pass up. I assumed it would have problems but nothing I couldn't fix. Now I've had it for a couple of weeks I notice a tapping noise in the cylinder, I mean it sounds like the rods knocking but I have plenty of power, no problems starting, the bike doesn't smoke, but it's a consistent tap while idiling. I don't know if this is normal for these kind of bikes because I've owned all 2 strokes and with them I would pin point the problem with the obvious loss of power signs. Does anyone have a suggestion on what this may be?

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Re: Tapping
Reply #1 - 02/19/08 at 22:42:11

Two thoughts based on the information that I have gleened from the veteran members of our Forum:

1.  Your valves are in dire need of adjustment.

2.  The cam chain tensioner has failed you.  I would guess that this would most likely be the source of your knocking due to your mileage.

I would suggest you check both of them, and go from there if they check out Wink

Just my two coppers worth. Roll Eyes

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/20/08 at 07:12:29

The right side case would be off that thing before I started it again, unless the PO could show you the cam chain had been replaced & when. Check & adjust the valves, which sounds all spooky to someone without experience, but it's not that big of a technical challenge. No one who does it was born knowing how & I dont know of anyone who hurt their engine learning. If the cam chain tensioner lets loose & drops stuff into the crank case, it causes big time damage.
Sounds like you landed a great deal, even if it need a cam chain.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/20/08 at 08:53:37

Here's the procedure for checking the cam chain

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029

With the number of miles on it, I would check it immediately, not one more startup.  This will cost you a gasket and an oil change.  If you let it go, could cost you an engine and a change of pants.

WWW   IP Logged
stumusic
YaBB Newbies

What a great bike...

Poway, CA (near San Diego)
Reply #4 - 03/09/08 at 21:17:13

I just purchased my first bike, a 2007 S40 with 5,000 miles on it and also notice a tapping sound. Not having ridden before, I'd describe the sound like a sticky lifter in my car. I asked the dealership where I got the bike and they claimed it was pretty typical of this engine, but not to worry about it until I brought it in for it's scheduled maintenance. The bike seems to run really well otherwise. Bad advice from the dealer or different problem from the original post? (The bike came with a warrantee, so I suppose any problems will be taken care of, but it's be nice to know if the salespeople are simply full of it...)

2007 Stock S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/09/08 at 22:52:01

Stu,
lifter tapping is quite common and nothing I would worry to much about.
But you're new to this bike and biking in general, so any unfamilar sound is worth looking into.
Got warranty?  Check into what that covers, as in the type of failure of the original poster.  With 5k miles I wouldn't worry about that yet, but it has happened.  And if you don't have a maitenance history, you don't know if this is going to be a problem.
Whens 1st maitenance?  You might ask them if they have any history on the bike and whether they inspected the clutch, cam chain or anything else.
Let us know what kind of BS they thow at you.  We have great BS detectors here.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
stumusic
YaBB Newbies

What a great bike...

Poway, CA (near San Diego)
Reply #6 - 03/10/08 at 06:43:15

Hey Verslagen, thanks for the input. I'll take a close look at what the warrantee covers, but on first glance it seems to only exclude regular wear items (tires, break pads, the belt) They charged an extra $500 for inspection and servicing of the bike before they resold it, but gave no detail of exactly what was done, (though I've heard rumors that dealers are required to put new tires on a used bike before reselling it for example) I'll ask them about service records as well, as they claim the bike was originally bought from them new, then traded in when the original owner wanted something bigger. (Lucky for me!) To float another question out there, the pipes are VERY blue. It that a sign of either misuse or mechanical trouble? (I know these bikes are all leaned out to the limit to meet CA emissions certification.)

Stuart-

2007 Stock S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/10/08 at 08:09:17

For $500 they should've had the head cover off and torqued the head bolts.  So they would've had a look at every if they had their eyes open.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:26:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tapping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.