theelixerx
YaBB Newbies

Aint no Devil...
 Just God when
He's drunk

Denver, CO
Tire size and scraping
02/18/08 at 10:37:01

Howdy Folks I had some New Tires put on the front and back of my 97 Savage. The Specs for the rear tire call for a 140/80 15c but the stealership put on 140/90 the problem is there is a serious scraping off of rubber on the sides of the tires on the left side. I have noticed there is rubber flakes on the belt gaurd. I have rode once about 20 miles on the bike and only once since they where put on about 3 months ago. (havnt been riding becouse of weather and sickness.) So the question is this enough a differance between the two sizes or should I look into another reason.  
Thanks

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Tire size and scraping
Reply #1 - 02/18/08 at 11:19:37

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/18/08 at 12:07:54

theelixerx wrote on 02/18/08 at 10:37:01:
Howdy Folks I had some New Tires put on the front and back of my 97 Savage. The Specs for the rear tire call for a 140/80 15c but the stealership put on 140/90 the problem is there is a serious scraping off of rubber on the sides of the tires on the left side. I have noticed there is rubber flakes on the belt gaurd. I have rode once about 20 miles on the bike and only once since they where put on about 3 months ago. (havnt been riding becouse of weather and sickness.) So the question is this enough a differance between the two sizes or should I look into another reason.  
Thanks

Why not take the bike back and demand the unethical dealer put the factory recommend correct size on the bike?  That tire rubbing against the bike enough to shave rubber means the tire is heating up on the abrasion spot and may have been structurally compromised.  I'll bet the tire manufacturer would void the warranty and any liability of blow out because you allowed the wrong size to be put on the bike.  (Jerry E.,this forum's contributing lawyer could answer that question!)  And as for modifying the bike to accept the wrong sized tire, why should you?  You paid your hard earned $ to have the job done right.

IP Logged
theelixerx
YaBB Newbies

Aint no Devil...
 Just God when
He's drunk

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 02/18/08 at 12:19:42

Thanks  Will be bringing it back.... just wanted to see what I coud bring in defense of my argument that the tire is too big. by the marks its the  the bolts . I ride alot and into areas where a blow out would be a major PITA as well as life threatening (still a newbie rider)so glad I found this issue quick and can get it fixed appreciate the help.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 02/18/08 at 12:48:02

And there are those of us who like the slightly larger tire.  I'm betting you have saddlebag supports installed.  Without them, the bolts don't usually rub on that size tire.  If you replace the bolts that hold the brackets with mushroom-head allen bolts and set your shock preset to its highest/stiffest setting, it usually stops the rubbing.  I just use taller shocks.  But, by all means, take it back if you don't like it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:24:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire size and scraping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.