Paint and Misc issues (Read 78 times)
FrankieB
YaBB Newbies

Finally figured out
how to change this
stupid text

Paint and Misc issues
02/18/08 at 06:57:59

Ok so I have a Savage with some pretty cool custom paint. Only problem is there are a couple of nicks in the tank, a big chip in the rear fender, and one of the side covers isn't painted. There are three reasons I want to keep the existing color for now 1, It's uniquie 2, the frame is painted the same color (have to repaint frame) 3, Cost
Does anyone have any ideas of where I can get someone do a color match on the paint? Does that even work?

Also, the bike was semi-customized so not all of the electrical is fully functional. Namely, the idiot lights on the tank (high beam, nuetral, etc) do these have to work to pass inspection? Would a normal shop even be equipped to diagnose these types of issues?

Thanks

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Paint and Misc issues
Reply #1 - 02/18/08 at 10:17:40

Any good paint shop can use a machine to match the paint, either with a machine that they take to the bike, or take a tin in and let them go at it it. That is what i had to do with my 96 as no one could find the paint code.

Electrical may be a simple as the connector for that dash ? didn't not get plugged back in correctly as the tank was reinstalled. You can fix that much less expensively than a shop would charge for that kind of work. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #2 - 02/18/08 at 10:18:05

FrankieB wrote on 02/18/08 at 06:57:59:
Ok so I have a Savage with some pretty cool custom paint. Only problem is there are a couple of nicks in the tank, a big chip in the rear fender, and one of the side covers isn't painted. There are three reasons I want to keep the existing color for now 1, It's uniquie 2, the frame is painted the same color (have to repaint frame) 3, Cost
Does anyone have any ideas of where I can get someone do a color match on the paint? Does that even work?

Also, the bike was semi-customized so not all of the electrical is fully functional. Namely, the idiot lights on the tank (high beam, nuetral, etc) do these have to work to pass inspection? Would a normal shop even be equipped to diagnose these types of issues?

Thanks

There are companys that essentially use airbrushes to touch up bumper and fender scratches for new car dealers.  Have a friend that owns one in the Minneapolis area.  I would try checking with a local one if you can find one.  Theirs is part of a national company called Aero Colours  

http://www.aerocolours.com

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 02/18/08 at 10:19:00

As for what light work to pass your state's safety inspection,  you'll have to let us know which state.......

Did you check to see if the wiring is all plugged togehter??  Did you check to make sure bulbs are not burned out??

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:28:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Paint and Misc issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.