Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torque wrench recommendations (Read 145 times)
DavidD
YaBB Newbies

Torque wrench recommendations
02/17/08 at 18:25:48

Hi all,
can anybody recommend a good torque wrench?  I've got a feeling I'm going to be seeing the top of my piston at some point this spring, but I only have an old beam-type torque wrench. That one's fine for tightening axle nuts, but no where near nice enough to put all those delicate top-end bolts back in properly. Wink

I thought about buying one from Sears, but I looked on the Sears website and saw that several folks were complaining that the Craftsman wrenches were bad about breaking.  I checked SnapOn, but at $230 for a "cheap" one, that's a bit of a budget buster for me.

If you can't recommend any, can you at least suggest which ones to avoid?

Thanks,
Dave

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Torque wrench recommendations
Reply #1 - 02/17/08 at 19:06:03

Don't get the 1/4" drive one from Harbor Freight as it starts at 20"lb and that is higher than some of the bolts require.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 02/17/08 at 19:15:20

craftsman hand tools have life time guaranty..not sears' tools

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/17/08 at 22:31:35

Max_Morley wrote on 02/17/08 at 19:06:03:
Don't get the 1/4" drive one from Harbor Freight as it starts at 20"lb and that is higher than some of the bolts require.

20"lbs = 20/12 foot-lbs

That's less than 2 ft-lbs... what takes less than 2 ft-lbs?    Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/17/08 at 22:59:50

Everything I've ever bought from Harbor Freight was cheap junk.  Craftsman has a lifetime guarantee and maybe Sears is concerned enough about the reputation of its Craftsman brand not to allow inaccurate junk to be sold.  Also there is supposed to be some point where you should have your torque wrench re-calibrated.  An Internet info search should explain that somewhere.  In any case, do you want to risk busting a bolt or not having it tight enough causing possible loosening or leaks, all because you saved $ on a cheap tool?  Remember, you're on   a motorcycle and if something comes apart, you might hit the ground.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/18/08 at 01:40:46

I had never had a beam type till this one. I think I looked at the torque requirements before I bought it & if I remember right, the torque requirements had a fairly wide range, like a bolt needed between 13 & 22 foot pounds, like that kind of range. So, I decided a beam typw would be fine. The bike isnt like an automatic transmission, it's really pretty crude & easy to work on without setting yourself up for a shafting. I have always been like these other guys, pretty cautious about the tools & such, but I just dont think this bike requires things being all that "spot on" perfect.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #6 - 02/18/08 at 05:25:53

i've got a craftsman 3/8" "click stop" torque wrench that starts at 10 ft/lbs and goes up to 100 ft/lbs, and i've got a 1/4" "click stop" that goes up to 140 in/lbs so that there is an over lap in they're capacities. i've had good luck with SK and NAPA tools too. SK are lifetime warranty, NAPA has two lines their better quality is lifetime, their lesser quality is still better than most of harbor freight, although their "PITTSBURG" hand tool line has a lifetime warranty, i dont like the feel of them, so i buy them for cheap spare sets in the cars. i avoid "CREWLINE" brand, available at discount auto parts stores, i get tired of replaceing lifetime junk.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #7 - 03/07/08 at 09:25:34

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #8 - 03/07/08 at 14:56:04

i get tired of replacing tools period. i've broken them all. i personally think that craftsman ratchets are junk. i have 2 broken ones right now that i probably only used a total of ten times each. i have 2 torque wrenches that i bought from advance auto, that have worked fine for me. i think that i have had them both for over 5 years. dont waste your money on a name, almost every tool made now has a lifetime warranty.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:19:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Torque wrench recommendations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.