Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Idle drops and engine dies, only occasionally (Read 119 times)
CapMorgan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Idle drops and engine dies, only occasionally
02/17/08 at 10:40:11

Hi guys,
We have a '99, and once in a while, with no real indication as to why, it will begin dying any time the clutch is pulled in, for downshifts, stopping, etc.  While it is doing this, the idle also drops to a lower rpm than usual.  It will do this for a while, then out of the blue idle will increase back to normal, and the dying stops.  The only other recent issues were fuel flowing out the carb vent hose, but this was fixed with a new fuel bowl needle/valve assembly.  To the best of my knowledge, the carb jetting is stock.  I recently put a Screamin' Eagle muffler on, but this problem existed before this mod, and has not changed since the new muff.  It's really frustrating, as it only happens once in a while, lasts for several minutes, then goes away.  The bike will usually re-start, idle ok, run ok during acceleration, then die again when clutch is pulled in.  Then, a few minutes later, it goes back to normal.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: Idle drops and engine dies, only occasionally
Reply #1 - 02/17/08 at 17:17:06

I would try to rule out the petcork. Try running in "pri" and see if the symptoms persist. Remember to put it back to "on" before you get off and go to bed.

If this "fixes" the problem, replace the vacuum hose between the carb to the petthing.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
CapMorgan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 02/17/08 at 22:07:22

Thanks, but it's a brand new petcock, so that's not the problem.  I had bought it a while back thinking it might be the solution to a different problem, and then thought some issues with the vacuum diaphragm might be causing this problem, but apparently that wasn't it as the problem continued after installing the new one.  I revisited the idle mixture screw setting, and adjusted the idle speed accordingly, and so far so good.  Not sure why it would only do it sometimes, but we took it out for quite a while after the latest adjustments and so far no problems.  Time will tell.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/17/08 at 22:25:24

Running on prime is not suggest that the petcock is bad but whether the vacuum line has a leak.  And it's an easy dianostic to do.  Why not do it and be able to rule this out?

Of course, you could just replace everything until the problem goes away.

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 02/18/08 at 09:58:26

check the coil, & connection between the wire & the cap.

and what verslagen said

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 02/18/08 at 10:06:12

Mine use to do this in the first five miles of riding.  Tweaked the idle up a tiny bit and now seems fine.   On my tach, idle was 1000 to 1100 now is 1100 to 1200.

Only thought is that it's related to getting to "operating temp".    As the heat extends out from the engine the carb reacts differently.  Just a thought,  never tried to confirm it since it's working now.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
CapMorgan
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 02/18/08 at 21:20:42

Verslagen,
We had the new petcock already, so I installed it to remove that as a possibility.  The vacuum line itself shows no adverse effect with the "spray test", so no apparent leak there.  I had wondered if maybe the vacuum diaphragm inside the petcock was the weak link, but obviously it's not that either.  So far, readjusting the idle mixture and idle speed have taken care of the problem.  I'm gonna keep the spray with us on rides, and double check for vacuum leaks while it's actually happening, if it happens again, just in case I'm missing someething.  So far, so good though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:24:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle drops and engine dies, only occasionally

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.