Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
catalytic converter (Read 308 times)
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
catalytic converter
02/17/08 at 00:53:54

Being the type of person who "believes" in global warming, but more importantly would rather avoid inhaling carbon monoxide, nitrous oxides, and unburnt hydrocarbons, im curious about catalytic converters for a savage.

Apparently 20% of road bikes are supposed to have them, but i've never really heard of it before and cant find them on any of the online stores ive checked (so i think the EPA might be lying).

Has anybody else ever tried to put a catalytic converter on a savage or any other bike for that matter (or even owned one that came with it)? Where could you mount it? Would it work ok without fuel injection? would you still need a muffler or would the converter itself muffle enough to straight-pipe it? How much would it cut horsepower? Are aftermarket converters available? could you "borrow" one from a car (some car ones are only like 60 bucks online)?

any answers to any of these questions would be great.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: catalytic converter
Reply #1 - 02/17/08 at 02:34:53

You WANT a cataclysmic perverter? They dont make rose petals, ya know? They make anhydrous sulphuric acid & anhydrous amonia, which means, they arent an acid or ammonia until they get some water. Like, inside your lungs or on your eyeball. I used to ride a 10 speed, lots, in traffic, hard as I could go. I was off for a week at a time, so I could spend lots of time riding. Breathing the fumes from a car exhaust is one thing. Breathing what comes out of those things is deadly. Do they work to reduce smog? I guess they do, but I cnat stand the smell of them. I'll bet you can find one to stick on, good luck in doing so, dont uhhHold yer breath? waiting on me to join in,, ( I just HAD to say "Hold yer breath  Grin"

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 02/17/08 at 02:55:33

My '82 Virago 750 had one,It was in the crossover in the exhaust,underneath by the center stand.Still had mufflers.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 02/17/08 at 06:53:32

The 650 has enough breathing problems from the factory mostly restricted exhaust. adding a cat. without makeing other engine changes would most likely render the bike under powered. there are many changes that have to be made to make a cat. work one is temperture Not sure of correct numbers but for the sake of ex. the cat won't work or heat up till 1200 deg.F and will start to self destruck at 1600 deg.F so now you have to control this temp. So lets put an Air Injection Pump on along with EGR add some Ox. sensors a massive amount of Other sesors and don't forget some type of engine controler (ECU) Plus a feed back type carb. or fule injection( so we can control the amount of fule and decrease MPG. When al said and done  we will increase the bike weight up about 100# most likely drop mpg to 22.
I did picture this bike in my mind . NO not even a good idea. Rember this Most all bikes on the road with riders who enjoy rideing be it for work or just the sake of rideing take better care of there veh. than cage and truck owners. They are in better state of tune than 80% of the other veh.
If you like Bikes follow one rule KISS Don't fix what aint broke
Ride on Ride Safe
This could turn into a political thing. Lets not go there.
Viper

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 02/17/08 at 08:16:22

Most 2006 & newer std stock Harley Dyna mufflers are Cat type..... Lips Sealed

Could be why they you can get them cheap.....

My Machinist friend (rides a '06 HD Dyna Wide Glide) said to stay away from them for my LS650.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 02/17/08 at 09:06:54

AAARGHH!!!!   If Global Warming and polution controls were valid then the proponents would not have try to mislead people.  For instance:

When they talk of polution they have switch from "polutants" to "emissions."  Every pound of gasoline mixes with roughly 15 pounds of air to produce 16 pounds of emissions.  Mostly nitrogen gas, which is 78% of air, and which mostly goes thru untouched.  The hydrogen and carbon burns with the oxygen of the air to produce water and carbon dioxide which is the vast majority of the rest of the emissions.  Yep, water is one of the "deadly emissions".  You produce carbon dioxide simply by living, in the range of 3 pounds for ever pound of food you eat.

The bottom line is if you want to decrease emissions you have to increase fuel mileage.  In 1971 my 1967 Spitfire got a measured 30+ mpg hard city driving -- when it dropped below 30 mpg I would get a tuneup.  Find me an equivalent modern car that gets 30+ mpg city.  You want to reduce emissions?  Get rid of vehicles capable of 100+ mph.

Due to the deceiptions and lack of any real effort to control emissions by reducing engine sizes I believe that the polution and global warming proponents have an ulterior hidden agenda.  YMMV.

WWW   IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #6 - 02/17/08 at 11:15:06

I don't think it's wise to add a cat to a bike that wasn't designed to have one. It will either make the bike run like crap or destroy the cat relatively quickly.

Ken

IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 02/17/08 at 12:39:24

Ken is & his freind are right fule system is not correct for a cat on a 650 like we run. an most likely burn out from being too rich. Paladin brings ouy a very good point I had a 1969 sport fury sw. with 383 cuin. V/8 4bbl . Load it up with 2 kids wife dog
and myself head for the moutains for a week of camping. It still got 27 mpg And we thought it was a pig. I have a 2004 Jeep 6cly that on its best day gets 19 Empty.  I said before this could get political. Many on this site have already found that just by hitting the correct carb jetting and changing the muffler(and it don't have to be real noisy eather) not only did proformance increase so did fuel ec..
I must be getting old there is road in my state posted avove 65mph why do we need to build 150 mph vehs.
It is funny when you think about it a poor tuned veh. with a cat.smells so bad you have to back off Much like your cats litter box when you don't change it .
Ride on Ride safe
Viper

IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 02/17/08 at 12:44:11

Sorry Ken it was MackTs friend and he and you are both right.
Viper

IP Logged
ohsixs40
YaBB Newbies

you are not your
khakis

va beach
Reply #9 - 02/17/08 at 12:45:39

I have to agree with Paladin on this one. There's "scientific" evidence  on each side of the issue and the media just plays up what ever side they see fit.

Besides, wasn't it like a decade ago that the environmentalists were claiming that global warming was being caused by ozone depleting CFC's? Now they say that it's caused by the green house gasses my 20 mpg Rover produces? When they finally make fossil fuel vehicles illegal, I'll step out of my solar powered house to find the headline "Ocean temps rise .001 degree. Human urine thought to be the main cause. EPA now searching for way to stop the human race from urinating." Grin

blue 06 s40 with Ed L. forward controls. 1997 land rover discovery, two inch lift rovertym springs, 31" bfg mud terrains, series 2 brush guard, slimmed bumper, hella lights, and 140k awesome miles!
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 02/17/08 at 12:46:43

http://www.hotaugustnights.net/photogallery/2007gallery/onthego/pages/002_gif...

Reno, Hot August Nights.  A week of thousands of non-smog equipped automobiles slowly cruising.  Air pollution does not increase.

WWW   IP Logged
bsdnfraje

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/17/08 at 14:47:58

In all fairness, Joebo did express his belief in global warming.  That is, he trusts the testimony of a witness that this is all true.  He didn't assert it as fact, as "fact" is understood by modernists, but rather that he has faith in a faction of scientists.

The only real difference between his faith in global warming and my faith in the existence of Africa (based on the testimony of the Rand-McNally corporation) or my faith in One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church (based on the testimony of the Apostles and their successors) is the reasonableness of trusting the testimony, in the confidence he has in his witnesses.

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #12 - 02/17/08 at 17:00:52

You guys know that we're probably going into an ice age in 100-150 years and global warming is only stalling that process...In my opinion it's a good thing...most people don't know this, but that's the reason the government isn't doing much to stop pollution from vehicles. They don't know what is going to happen. Just like it's very hard to predict weather (weather channel is right 58% of the time) it is hard to predict climate...who knows what is going to happen, but reducing emissions can't hurt, right?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 02/18/08 at 06:40:38

You folks know I have to toss my 2 cents in this one. I see others who are not convinced one way or the other, already. I cant help but believe we have had an impact on the climate, but are we causing it to warm or cool? Either way, Earth has been a relatively comfortable place for us lately. No ice age, like "They" were hollering about in the 70's? wasnt it? I think I remember a mini ice age threat being all the rage back then. & the Ozone being wrecked by CFC's, handy scare That was. DuPOnt's patent on R-12 was about to expire & since it was cheap & easy to make, they knoew they were about to lose a bundle, so R-12 was declared a hazard & a new, more costly , less efficient material was created. Skrude again.
But, on to climate. It IS changing, but who can know what part we have played? Maybe, like one poster said, Our warming has kept the place from getting cold..

I think people with an agenda drag up ( & pay for) "scientific studies" that support their side, truth ( IF truth could be known) be danged.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 02/18/08 at 07:44:38

The warmest decade in the last hundred years was in the 1930's.  Wink

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print