Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why did Suzuki make a single? (Read 829 times)
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Re: Why did Suzuki make a single?
Reply #15 - 02/15/08 at 05:34:01

Paladin. wrote on 02/14/08 at 15:10:24:
The vast majority is beguiled by horsepower and speed.  Only the truely knowledgable know that for a given displacement nothing can match the torque of a single -- and it is torque that accelerates you from the light, not horsepower.
Anyone could make a Thumper, but they don't because the market barely supports the one.  Savage sales are not such that anyone else has a great yearning to jump in and grab a piece of the action.  Our engine is Old Tech, and will soon die from excessive emissions.  Suzuki.co.uk does not list the LS650 in it's current lineup.
HOPEFULLY Suzuki will slip one of their other singles into the Savage frame rather than drop the line altogether.  They have the  398cc liquid cooled mill from the DR-Z400 and the 644cc air/oil cooled from the DR650.  Kawasaki has the 651cc liquid cooled single in the KLR650, and Honda has a 644cc air cooled single in the XR650.  Lack of a suitable engine is not the reason there are no other Thumping Cruisers.  

Well, you’re almost right.
Torque counts for nothing until gearing is factored in – it’s the tractive force at the tyre-tarmac interface that accelerates you.
Sure, in any two vehicles with the same overall gear ratio, the torquiest motor will accelerate you best, but that’s why we have choices of gear ratios.
A higher-revving motor may produce less torque at the flywheel but allows you to use more advantageous gear ratios to actually put more torque through the back wheel than a lower-revving unit with more flywheel torque.

That’s why race cars and bikes, whether circuit racers or dragsters, build for power and revs.

« Last Edit: 02/15/08 at 07:46:14 by KwakNut »  

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #16 - 02/15/08 at 06:37:02

drharveys, what year is that bike?

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #17 - 02/15/08 at 10:48:50

Interesting, Paladin.  I didn't realize there were so many singles out there.  It looks like they're mostly dual purpose/off road.  I used the GZ250 in the MSF class, and I had assumed it had inline twin 125 cylinders for some reason.  It's too bad an insider can't tell us the future of the S40 line.  You're right, there's no reason not to use DR650 engine, one would think.

Paladin. wrote on 02/14/08 at 15:10:24:
HOPEFULLY Suzuki will slip one of their other singles into the Savage frame rather than drop the line altogether.  They have the  398cc liquid cooled mill from the DR-Z400 and the 644cc air/oil cooled from the DR650.  Kawasaki has the 651cc liquid cooled single in the KLR650, and Honda has a 644cc air cooled single in the XR650.  Lack of a suitable engine is not the reason there are no other Thumping Cruisers.  

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #18 - 02/15/08 at 10:52:07

J Mac wrote on 02/15/08 at 10:48:50:
I used the GZ250 in the MSF class, and I had assumed it had inline twin 125 cylinders for some reason.  

I assumed the same thing.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #19 - 02/15/08 at 13:49:47

Interesting, Paladin.  I didn't realize there were so many singles out there.  It looks like they're mostly dual purpose/off road. ...

You'll also notice that the list of multi-cylinder dirt capable bikes is rather short.  Why?  Because horsepower is not the end all be all of performance.  City streets and dirt both favor lightweight and torque -- which is the forte of the Thumper.  The past 30-40 years have seen a shift toward high speed performance -- pushed by racers and manufacturers who rather sell a overpriced race replica than something useful.  A lot more money in it.  Thus, we have pitiful selection of small and mid-sized bikes, and a glut of large, extra large and gigantic bikes -- all capable of speeds well into the triple digits.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 02/15/08 at 14:35:13

I can remember when the honda 4's 1st came out and were introduced to the racing sceen a year or 2 before they closed ascot.  Dad was nearing the end of his racing career as well.  ascot "TT" was one of his favorate races, a dirt oval with a infield jump which was more of a hill.  Dad had gotten a road course side hack which wasn't much more than a piece of plywood with a trailer wheel.  To power this around the track he had a BSA gold star, 500cc thumper.  It must've looked a bit rediculous to the crowd, brand new HiTech screaming 4's, a few odd's and ends triumph's and beaser's and this old thumper.  Man all I could think of was look out dad, stay out of these mad men's way.  Yeah, they were all rookies as far as I new, never seen 'em before as we didn't really do the road sceen.  Well the green flag dropped and 4's wailed into the turn, rooster tails that cleared out the stands in the corners.  And there was dad, thumpa-thumpa-thumpa in 1st place?  Holy cow while all these guys were spinning their wheels going wide around the corner, dad snuck down low and went right by them.  And that's the way it went every lap, dad would leave'm through the twisties and they would just catch up on the one long straight.  What a blast!   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 02/15/08 at 15:15:41

When the ls650 first came out Suzuki called it a entry-level bike, because it was light weight and had a low seat.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #22 - 02/15/08 at 16:00:27

It has everything to do with emissions. Even motorcycles have constraints on emissions. That is why there are no more 2-stroke machines on the road. There are very few small bore 4-stoke machines left either.
It is easier to control emissions in large bore engines. The Suzuki single is a large bore engine, and it exists because a single can be lighter than a twin of equal displacement, and it can be far lighter than a 1300cc twin which is 2 650cc cylinders.
Notice that most motorcycles nowdays are large bore twins, say 1000cc or more. Big bore engines is the future for road motorcycles and this is driven by emissions. :'( Imagine if we had to have a catalytic converter on our machines, they would become cost prohibitive. Harley Davidson now has fuel injection. This is driven by reducing emissions also.
I loved my 1969 Yamaha 250cc DT-1B Enduro, but this bike is gone forever. Remember the Suzuki 250cc Hustler?

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #23 - 02/15/08 at 16:53:08

Keith_T wrote on 02/15/08 at 06:37:02:
drharveys, what year is that bike?

It was a 2003.  By the time I finally gave up on it, it had many variations from stock:  front disc brake, high output oil pump, alloy cylinder with higher compression piston, cylinder head temp gauge, right foot shift restored (eliminated a whole bunch of jack shafts under the bike), spring mounted solo saddle, rear luggage rack with removable sprung pillion saddle, upgraded valves, relocated battery, K & N air cleaner, and, oh yeah, I replaced the stainless steel screws holding the fenders in place with brass bolts and acorn nuts because it looked better with the gold pin striping!

Prior to it's throwing the primary chain through the cases, it really did perform well, or at least well enough for what it was.

I came to the conclusion that there were only two types of Enfield owners who are happy with the bikes:

1  Those who keep them mechanically stock and never go over 50 mph

2  Those who do performance mods, but consider a weekend spent rebuilding an engine on their own quality motorcycle time

Not falling into either group, I will not be getting another one!

I do understand that they now have a new, improved lean burn engine, but I'm not willing to invest my money to find out if it represents a real improvement at the practical level.

Sure was pretty, though:

And the bottom photo was taken before I relocated the battery!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #24 - 02/15/08 at 17:01:12

We'll, fortunately or unfortunately for us folks in california...

A certain unnamed important US government official, with the backing of a certain unnamed government environmental agency, in a move that is certainly unlike the the unnamed political party for which he stands, recently denied states the right to set their own emissions standards which are over and above the national standard.

No value judgments being placed on that action.

It does however mean that since the United States has been historically very lenient in terms of its emissions policies (it and Kazakhstan being the only 2 signatory countries to not ratify the Kyoto Protocol, for example) and for those of us continuing to live here, I would guess that you wont have to worry about emissions too much (at not unless a liberal gets elected).

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #25 - 02/15/08 at 22:32:10

Hmm.. I doubt my state would set our standards above Federal.  I'm all for cleaner emissions, but I'm tired of the law-abiding people being punished.  We're subject to older vehicles driven by landscapers here that appear to burn about 1/4 of the gasoline delivered through their carbs/injectors and release the rest directly through the tailpipe in the form of vapor.  Following them makes you feel like you have an open gas can in your cab (or helmet).  I guess changing plugs, cleaning the fuel system, or making sure their engine fires on all cylinders never occurred to them.  Why does the government pick on us regarding emissions, when we get 45 - 55 mpg and almost always drive far fewer miles per year than cars? Angry

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #26 - 02/16/08 at 09:31:40

Keith_T wrote on 02/15/08 at 10:52:07:
I used the GZ250 in the MSF class, and I had assumed it had inline twin 125 cylinders for some reason.  

I assumed the same thing.

That's probably because of the twin headers. I was looking at a brand new GZ250 yesterday while I was waiting on getting my new tires put on. I too thought at first that it was a small twin.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 02/16/08 at 11:32:47

I looked at the Suzuki UK Site, and they are not offering the 250, If we want a "Suzuki type" 250 we need to go to a Hyosung Agent.

However Suzuki do promote two 125 cc Cruisers.
1. A Single Cylinder air cooled "Marauder"
2. A Twin Cylinder Liquid Cooled "Intruder"

The next Size up here is 800, and then if you have a limited License (halfway between a Learner License and a Full License)  a restrictor kit needs to be fitted to strangle it to 33BHP from its MASSIVE? 51 BHP

The 33BHP figure was a change to a previous "rule" where the Limit was 250cc but I think some 250 then were starting to produce more BHP, so the legislators came ans sat on the BHP Fence and allowed restriction kits to be fitted with an important and expensive
"Certification".

I believe that some people find that these restrictor kits mysteriously "fall off" or "disappear" shortly after the rider gets his certificate and Insurance.

It is illegal to Ride a Bike greater than 33BHP without a restrictor unless you have a Full license

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #28 - 02/16/08 at 13:21:35

When I started riding there wasn't a separate motorcycle license.  When I got my DT175 in California they wanted a motorcycle endorsement, which meant passing the lolipop test at the DMV.  Being a dirt biker I couldn't break my dabbing habit so I didn't bother.  Rode 12-13 years without license or insurance.

WWW   IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #29 - 02/16/08 at 13:46:28

Paladin. wrote on 02/16/08 at 13:21:35:
 Rode 12-13 years without license or insurance.
You bragged about not being insured when riding in the UK too.
I guess insurance doesn't matter if you don't care about the little kid you might run over.
For somebody who knocks sportbike riders for being adenaline junkie fools, you seem to have some pretty twisted standards of morality.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 18:33:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Why did Suzuki make a single?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.