Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork Brace? (Read 208 times)
Onederer
Ex Member

Fork Brace?
02/13/08 at 16:26:39

Here is something everyone can try. Stand over your bike, hold the front brake, look over the handlebars and at the front tire and leading edge of the front fender. Compress the forks quicky while looking at the relationship between the front tire and the fender. After you try this, please reply with what you observe. Those with a brace should see something different than those without, as should someone with a dual disc bike.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Fork Brace?
Reply #1 - 02/14/08 at 01:38:34

not to sound to stoned but   WHY....
or better yet, what am i looking at/for....

is this a question that you know the answere for and wonder who else does, or just drinkn' and thinkn'.     it's late i've been sitting by the dumpster since my ride this afternoon and had to put on the glasses to read tonight.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #2 - 02/14/08 at 03:01:58

I haven't tried it as mine is all disassembled but I believe what you will see is that if the brake is on the left, the fender will apear to go forward and to the left as the wheel twists back and to the right.  It is a demonstration of the axle relationship to the bike twisting due to fork flex.

WWW   IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/14/08 at 06:18:58

I am getting a brace, and I know they work, I'm just trying to point out the easyest thing to see. I did'nt mention what someone should see, because I did'nt want to influence the results.I figure some have never noticed and would like to know. Besides, I thought it'd be nice to have an easy, Savage related, tangible thread. Enjoy.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 02/14/08 at 09:26:29

So.....   about 1/4 inch of tire to fender movement....  but .....  is this fork twist or bearing slop.

Brace will solve twist  but not slop.

I've been debating the brace for awhile.  Was going to get one, but when I took my wheel off to get a new front tire I realized that the axle holds the two fork tubes in place and it goes into fat chunks of aluminum so there should be almost not tube to tube twist.    

So, to test if it's twist or slop, I added a thrid reference point (see below).  And,  found that the fender & upper forks do not move, so there is very little twist, if any. (my eyes aren't perfect....)  Was thinking that the duct tape might be moving to damper effect but still would see movements because of lenght of wire.

Bearings?  (Greg.... you said this before....) .  Tighten the axle??..  steel & aluminum expand at different rates, so I guess it should be checked & re-torqued (to spec) every once and awhile.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/14/08 at 10:08:23

Wow Mack! Your pic definatley shows the twist. Thank You for the work. Now if anyone with a brace does the same, we'd have an excellent photo comparison. BTW, a brace should be beneficial to anyone who travles on roads with grooves, chuck holes, and thru cross winds. Thanks again Mack.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 02/14/08 at 10:41:05

The axle is mild steel & not really all that massive. It's not impossible to believe it could be flexing under the torsion load. The brace at the top of the lower fork tubes would protect it from that load. I couldnt quite "get my head around" the way the forks were flexing for a while, but with the wire & all, after some hard mental imaging, I finally got it. The wheel is pressed back, driiving the left fork back, the axle is the only element transferring the force to the right fork tube & that fork tube doesnt get all the poressure the left side gets, due to the axle being able to twist along its length, like a torsion bar. That, coupled with bearing clearances that are necessary plus the slop of wear. Maybe a brace doesnt completely eliminate it?It couldnt eliminat the slop part, as was previously noted, but the twist,  Owell, I just went out & messed with mine. I cant see any twist & it has a brace. Maybe I just cant get enough load on it at 2 MPH. I can say one thing for sure. I felt a difference in the "surefootedness" of the bike as soon as that brace went on. It allowee me to enjoy the performance the other mods gave it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 02/14/08 at 10:43:35

Onederer wrote on 02/14/08 at 10:08:23:
Wow Mack! Your pic definatley shows the twist. Thank You for the work. Now if anyone with a brace does the same, we'd have an excellent photo comparison. BTW, a brace should be beneficial to anyone who travles on roads with grooves, chuck holes, and thru cross winds. Thanks again Mack.

Aaaaa......  no twist, just bearing/axle slop....  

Picture is at slight angle maybe.

After posting I went back and added a piece of duct tape to fender as reference for wire alignment to recheck.  Still no fender to upper fork movement.  It's all down at the bottom end......
Justin could be right,  axle twist.... but I think the slop would be the bearings....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/14/08 at 17:59:52

I know several folks have mentioned a fork brace with great enthusiasm, even over any other mods.
Any recomended brands or suppliers?

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #9 - 02/14/08 at 22:24:47

buttgoat1 wrote on 02/14/08 at 17:59:52:
I know several folks have mentioned a fork brace with great enthusiasm, even over any other mods.
Any recomended brands or suppliers?

TKAT or Superbrace.  TKAT does the job for less cost, Superbrace is pricier, but a work of art.

This shows the Superbrace -- sorry it's not a close-up!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:22:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork Brace?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.