Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
In need of some advice! (Read 421 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: In need of some advice!
Reply #15 - 02/14/08 at 06:29:03

If you are set on doing the ride on the savage I would really suggest a seat lift mod and a rejet. The seat lift is for comfort, something you will really need for a long distance trip and a carb rejet will make the bike perform a lot better and run a bit cooler. Just my .02 cents.
That's not a bad price for what you are getting but as been said earlier a lot depends on the previous owner. Luck with it either way

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
westward bound
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 02/14/08 at 10:25:26

I guess i should have provided a little background info before asking my question, seeing as how it actually pertains to why im looking to sell the thing when im done with the trip.  

So im in college, though im 26 years old…not completly wet behind the ears.  Iv ridden bikes since i was 12 and i've taken a 300 mile trip before so i know the love hate thing you feel when doing such.  

But anyway, Uncle sam hit me back this year with 2 grand and while i had my mind loosely set on making a trip to california, hitchhiking and camping along the way, just scraping by, with the end goal of meeting up with a few friends, i didn't want to blow the whole 2 grand doing it all.  I've got rent to pay when i get back.

So i first thought that i would buy a one-way plane ticket to cali. foraround  $100 (no joke, they're that cheap), and then find a bike out there for around $1500 and ride it back east (Lake george NY) where i would sell it (right before Americade Wink) for what it was worth, and find an apartment for the summer with whatever cash i got back. Maybe i'de hookup with a foreign exchange worker somewhere in between.

But then i realized that now was probably the best time, if not a few weeks before christmas, to buy a bike from someone who's hard up for cash and willing to let a good bike go for less than what its worth.

So thats when i started looking.  i grew up on hondas (why are honda rebels holding their value so well?  are they just THAT reliable? Maybe i should buy a honda rebel.  Che Guevara rode all over South America before I was born on something way crappier than a honda rebel.  And then he went on to kill a bunch of people in the name of what he believed.  “Cool”....not really, but I just want to ride across the country and change my out look on things!)  

So right, back on point, i noticed that the savage sells used for a lot less than the rebel,  and that a 650 cc engine sounds way more bad ass than a sissy 250.  But the price difference makes me grow suspicious and i start to draw imaginary correlations in my head between the price of a savage and its reliability.  Well, i found this site with all sorts of people who know tons and are nice enough to spread their wisdom.  So I really don’t care if i putter across the country, so long as I just do it.  But I don’t want to waste my time on the side of the road with a broken down bike.  That’s not cool.      

So, should i just buy a rebel? Smiley Or just rent?

PS: while im going to insure the thing, im taking my chances and not registering the it so I don’t have to pay that tax on the sale.  Sorry guys, Im just a reckless soul.  Or maybe just a fool.      

Thanks again!  All of your comments have helped!

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #17 - 02/14/08 at 11:12:51

My .02

If my choice was between a rebel, a savage and renting something, I'd probably find a Savage.

Remember that in a 6,000 mile trip there is going to be some needed maintenance even if there are no repairs. The Savage is an easy MC to work on probably easier than the rebel. If you rent, you may need to make sure that the maintenance is part of the price and what the requirements are to fulfill your end of the contract (ie where the maintenance has to be done).

Might want to throw a ninja 250 into the mix.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #18 - 02/14/08 at 12:19:15

Yeah, all that detail does make it easier to give you more detailed advice... Where to start?? OK...

Regardless of what brand, model, size or year of used bike bought for a long road trip, a through examination of condition before liftoff is highly advisable. Myself, if the tires weren't already like new, I'd put new ones on before heading into the desert or mountains etc... Along with all common maintenance of filters, fluids and so on...

Savage specific: I'd find out when (what year model) the head's "cap-plug" problem was resolved, and if the bike were earlier than that date, and hadn't been fixed, I'd plan on sealing that too; before hitting the road. I don't think the leak gets so bad as to cause a low oil condition between gas fills, but why have to worry about it all the time? Also I'd want to check my cam chain parts wear/tension. There are only a few bikes that are so low maintenance as to not require similar checkups before riding into the sunrise(set).

As for the "Rebel" ya they have a solid reputation; but there's no way I'd take off cross country on the 250cc version with my big self and a bunch of gear on board. Personally, I'd seek out one of the early (87-89?) 450cc models as a bare minimum. I've entertained the idea of getting one of those anyways; as I've read and heard that they scoot along really good for their size/displacement.

Overall though, I like your "ride it and sell it" plan, and I've done the same thing with my money many, many times on motorcycles and other things. I look at it as getting to spend the same money multiple times before it's finally gone. I'll buy three guitars, and sell two for enough to get all or most of my money back. In the meantime I got to play a bit on all three nice guitars; then get to keep one for next to nothing. Or in your case: Put a few thousand miles on a bike; then get most or all of your money back. Thrifty planning, and it can work. Especially with a bit of "sweat equity."

Good luck with it!

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #19 - 02/14/08 at 12:48:05

I'm not an expert by any means but Che tooled around on back roads.......not on an interstate with semis rolling past doing 90 mph.  Not sure if a 250 would be a good idea.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 02/14/08 at 13:00:10

westward john thinks you could even break even on the bike, I wonder what he's been smoking Wink

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 02/14/08 at 13:34:07

Yeah you could break even, I wouldn't bet on it though.

Specially if you want to sell the bike immediately upon return.

You're at a good time for buying durring the winter and selling durring the summer.  Just don't count on it.  And you'd best have a bike lined up if you're flying then buying to ride back.

And California bikes are different.  And I've heard not to buy out of state bikes for import to Cal.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #22 - 02/14/08 at 14:17:12

Since you haven't bought it yet.

First look at the NADA website and get the value of it.  
http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.aspx?LI=1-28-0-5000-502-565-50214&l=1&w...

Go to your local Craigslist and look to see what's there.  Or, look on eBay and look for bikes within 100 miles.  

If you are going to drive cross country, then sell it,  there may be better bikes to buy.   For long highspeed (70+ MPH) driving, I've been told water cooled bikes are better.  Others tell me water cooled is just more parts to go bad.  

To get what you bought it for, you need to maintain it, and make it cleaner than how you bought it.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #23 - 02/14/08 at 17:09:44

I don't think you can insure a motrocycle without it being registered,  The 7% New York sales tax would be @$112. on the $1600.  If the police stop you on an ungregistered bike (it would have to have an illegal plate on it) I think you fines and inconvenience would make the $112. seem like a deal. and the insurance co will not pay on a bike being used illegally.  I do suggest you revisit this part of the plan Wink

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #24 - 02/14/08 at 18:34:38

Buy a used bike and it comes with a plate.  If you get stopped show the bill of sale and say you are moving to ______ and will be registering it there.  When I rode the five weeks in England and Scotland (and 5 miles into Wales) I didn't bother with insurance.  Here in California insurance is mandatory, yet un-insured coverage costs a bundle since such a large percentage of drivers are not insured.

Twice I've hopped on the bike about 9pm Friday and rode a 350 mile round trip to enjoy the Fool, er, Full Moon over the Mojave getting back home 6 or 7 am  -- no problem whatsoever.

1340 miles to Oklahoma city in two and a half days on the interstate, 48 hour layover, five days on the return trip via 2-lanes.  Got home and did not even LOOK at the bike for two days.   300 miles is nothing.  200-300 miles day after day after day is grinding.  Odds of doing will go up considerable on a more suitable motorcycle.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #25 - 02/14/08 at 20:00:13

If you are riding a unregistered bike with a questionable plate on it and get pulled over by the locals the bike will probably get impounded. I've been there with a cage years ago. The impound yard charges at least $25.00 a day for storage, a tow fee and charges per mile to tow the bike. Maybe you won't get pulled over but if you do it will really cost an arm and a leg to get the bike back if you can get it back at all. Even with the title in the old owner's name the locals won't have to release the bike to you cause you aren't the legal owner till the title is in your name. On top of that when you get around to sell the bike the buyer will want a clear title on the bike. I'm not trying to rain on your parade but you will have enough to worry about on the trip, make the bike legal, most states will give you temporary tags for out of state drivers. Beats sitting in some one light town dealing with a local cop for a week trying to get the bike legal and out of the impound yard. Just my thoughts on it, do what you want Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 02/15/08 at 01:56:36

I bought a car/truck/van, heck, cant remember now, but I had to work on it before I could drive it. so I just waited to transfer the title & all that mess. When I DID do it, they said I owed some kind of penal;ty, cost me like $40.00 or so, a long time ago. Would surely be $100.00 now. This is Texas, tho, I dont know about where you are. I recommend doing the papers all legal, that way there wont be any "misunderstandings". Sometimes people Understand, but act like they dont, so it can be harder on you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #27 - 02/16/08 at 18:41:37

If he buys it with current tags, he could get insurance with out transferring ownership. So as long as he carries the bill of sale I do not see a problem.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #28 - 02/17/08 at 09:55:59

That depends on what state he buys it in and what state he lives in.

In Pa, you get new plates when you buy a vehicle.  The only way you can keep your plates is if you trade something in (which you owned previously) and they can transfer them to you.

Being from out of state, you will have a few problems.  The motorcycle is a titled vehicle. You cannot insure the bike without a title being issued in your name. You will have to pay for the title transfer in whatever state you buy it in, then you will have to pay to have it re-titled in whatever state you return to and attempt to sell it.  Those fees can add up to several hundered dollars.  

As for the plate?  It's your neck on the line.  Since you are not a resident of California, I don't know the laws about you using the existing plate for 'transport' back to your home state.  You may ahve to apply for an 'in-transit' plate from your home state that will give you temporary registration and allow you to ride it back accross the country.

On paper, it sounds like a crazy once in a lifetime adventure.  But in the real world, it's alot more complicated than it may be worth.  You're going to be out alot of money buying the bike.  Then you're going to have to make sure that it can make the journey back. Thats even more money.

Then theres the legality of what you're planning.  You may be able to get away with it.  Then again, you may get caught.  Riding an unregistered out of state motorcycle?  Not a good idea, since the police will likely treat it as a stolen vehicle (at least until you can produce a bill of sale, but even then...).  Then you have the responsibility for insurance and registration.  Again, don't have that, they impound the bike and you're walking home.  Not to mention the fines, penalties and fees..  Then there's the question.. Do you even have a Motorcycle operators endorsement?  Not a temporary permit.. That won't cut it.

Nice idea, but you're going to need a alot more cash than you're planning on to pull it off (legally of course).  

Might I suggest you hop a SouthWest one way flight, bum around in SanDiego and the like for a while, then when cash gets tight either SouthWest back home or Greyhound?

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:19:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › In need of some advice!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.