Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
In need of some advice! (Read 421 times)
westward bound
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In need of some advice!
02/13/08 at 10:48:09

Im looking at buying a 97 Savage with about 4,000 miles on it.  If the bike runs and looks solid is it worth $1,600?  And how can i be sure it'll be good enough to make it across the country and back by may...about 6,000 miles in four weeks.  Thanks guys.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: In need of some advice!
Reply #1 - 02/13/08 at 11:11:15

The price is right and the mileage is low for the year.

Find out if the routine maintenance was done as scheduled (including trimming the valve clearance).  If in doubt, have it done again.  (It's better to be safe than sorry).  In general, do a complete inspection (or have a mechanic do one for you.)  This includes the brakes, brake cables tires, drive belt etc.  It may cost alot up front, but that investment also buys peace of mind.

Once you are confident that it is tip top shape, the road is calling.. I suggest you answer it......

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/13/08 at 11:43:48

Even if you buy a new bike you don't get a garranty, you get a warranty.

For that kind of mileage on an untried bike with or without hidden issues... you're best to follow skrappies advice.

But at minimum, new tires, new battery, look at cam chain tensioner.
Why the tensioner? certainly not because it's time too.  But, so far this has been the most telling evidence of how the PO treated the bike.  And you can look inside to see anything out of the ordinary, check the clutch, etc.  It's really not hard to do and will only cost you a gasket and an oil change.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
westward bound
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/13/08 at 12:18:18

Thanks for the post.  Now i have another question rgarding an 05 Ls 650 with a little more than 7,000 miles on it for $2,200.  This bike has only had one owner and was dealer serviced.  Is the 05 a safer bet?  I forgot to mention that i plan to sell the bike when i get back from my trip.  Will it be easier to sell an 05 with 13,000 mi or an 97 with 10,000 mi?  Thanks again!

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #4 - 02/13/08 at 12:50:22

I'm lost.

You want to buy a bike for a trip, then sell it when you get back?  Is that correct?

Pardon me for asking, but have you considered renting a motorcycle?   Some mega-dealers will rent them for about $50.00 per day... That would be cheaper in the long run..

I just don't understand the reasoning behind buying a bike for one trip then selling it....

IP Logged
westward bound
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/13/08 at 13:20:38

I havn't considered renting.  but $50 a day for 20 days adds up to $1,000.  If i buy a bike below market price and put a few thousand miles on it, i should be able to sell it at the end of my trip for close to what i paid.  Right?

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #6 - 02/13/08 at 13:40:12

No.  You won't.

You will never even get close to what you paid for the bike when you go to sell it.

By the time you buy the bike, pay taxes, registration and insure it, you're going to be closer to $3000.00 than $2000.00.  Add onto that a complete inspection and any necessary repairs. You're going to have to budget at least another $1000.00 on top of that.

Not to mention that you will probably have to change at least the drive tire once during the trip (they get between 2000 and 4000 miles of wear), you'll have to do at least one, possibly two oil changes as well as other routine maintenance.  You're going to need to budget another $500.00 for maintenance DURING the trip.

Honestly, when you put the bike on the market, you're likely to get offers of between $500 and $1000.00.  You're going to have to eat the rest.

So unless you're planning to keep the bike (longer than just this trip) you're better off renting a bike from a dealer, or maybe you should consider Greyhound for the trip....

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 02/13/08 at 16:04:59

and while, dare I say it, the Savage/S-40 is a great bike, you are riding about 100 miles, stopping for gas and butt bandage,er stretch.  So anything over 500 miles a day will be impressive.  So if youre thinking of highway 4-8 laners, there are more appropriate rides out there.  Harley's have already tanked price wise so your plan seems
what I would think about with a "glide" ride.  Renting does seem like a reaasonable choice..please get back to us with your decision, we do live vicariously up here in the frozen North. Wink

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #8 - 02/13/08 at 17:25:48

I gotta agree that renting would be the way to go.  You can get a bigger and more comfortable "distance" bike that an S40 for a long interstate ride.  Plus a larger bike may have more options for cargo storage.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #9 - 02/13/08 at 17:31:14

Don't let the skeptics talk you out of it. There are enough Savages that have done the cross country trip that if I could pull it off I'd do it in a minute. Check over the bike, do the pre-trip maintenance, plan on a rear tire along the way, it will be a hoot. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 02/13/08 at 17:39:56

westward bound wrote on 02/13/08 at 10:48:09:
Im looking at buying a 97 Savage with about 4,000 miles on it.  If the bike runs and looks solid is it worth $1,600?
Yes, but I would be leary of such a low mileage bike -- it most likely didn't get annual oil changes.
Quote:
And how can i be sure it'll be good enough to make it across the country and back by may....
You cannot be sure, which is why you have contingency plans.  On my 2300 mile trip I was ready and willing to push the bike into a dealership and ride out on something new; if the bike gave the reason to do so.
Quote:
about 6,000 miles in four weeks.  Thanks guys.
One day of rest in seven, that is an average of 250 miles a day.  On a Savage?  It is doable, but why?  I did my trip 'cause the Savage was what I had, not to mention I am not entirely sane.  When I went to England for a five week ride I picked up a GL500 Silverwing and was quite comfortable.  If I were to be getting a bike for a 6K mile trip I'd be looking for a nicely faired touring bike such as a PacificCoast or a Connie or some such, or even an old GL500 if you can find one with a fairing.

WWW   IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/13/08 at 18:13:45

As some have said, you'd be out $$ if you bought it,got it ready for a trip, put miles on it, fixed what might break or wear out. I think renting is a good option, and less work for you. If you bought a good bike for 1'600?, why not keep it, petrol is'nt getting any less expensive, and by the time you get back from the trip, you'll have memories invested on that machine, (hopfully good), and just looking at it might bring back a fun summer.Thats better than just looking at a photo, is'nt it. I let a 68'CB450 and a 78'DT400 go, and if I bought either of the bikes back in as good of shape of those, I'd have to pay at least 4X what I sold M24. You never mentioned where the trip was planned for, ridding a Savage where fuel stops are few and far between, requires carrying x-tra fuel or shoes. If you decide to buy for keeps, tooling thru here will have you trip ready.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 02/13/08 at 19:21:05

i'm with max on this one, buy it, ride it, plan to sell it, then  KEEP IT...you've gotten the value you wanted out of it on the ride. the rest of the miles are now free......

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #13 - 02/13/08 at 22:39:12

One issue not addressed yet is the relationship between mileage and resale value with the Savage/S40. Since many of them bought new are bought as the "first bike" there is an abundance of them for sale several years old with very low mileage. This affects the resale value of both the older ones and the nearly new model years. Personally, if periodic maintenance was done properly, I'd as soon have a garage kept 96 with 5k and new tires; than a 05 with 10k and new tires. Therefore, there isn't as much difference in the value of the bikes as the model years would suggest.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 02/14/08 at 05:17:06

It's not a guarantee that everyone loses out buying and selling MC's. I purchased my 2004 with 17 miles on the odometer, commuted with it for a year, kept it for a while longer and then sold it for almost what I had paid for it. When I figured what I saved in operating costs I came out ahead. So if you don't pay too much to start, do you own maintenance and repairs and chose a Savage in good condition it's doable.

But this seems like a really interesting/ambitious plan. I think a better question would be "Do you have the experience (are you "good enough") to make a cross country ride on a used thumper in 4 weeks. Keep us informed of you progress, especially if you make your trip on a Savage. There are benefits to this kind of trip that can't be measured in dollars and cents.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:13:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › In need of some advice!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.