Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can newer S40's cruise 2-up at interstate speeds? (Read 754 times)
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Re: Can newer S40's cruise 2-up at interstate spee
Reply #30 - 03/11/08 at 19:31:25

Hutch, just giving my personal observations of mine.  Now I have never had my speedo calibrated by radar, so my readings may be off a little, although I think they are pretty close. Smiley

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
spotrot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 03/11/08 at 20:48:21

The feedback from experiences is appreciated and interesting.

I guess I was not clear, the bike and lift must weigh 500 max.

I enjoyed my Savage immensely; the only problem was that it seemed to run out of breath 2-up on highways, when at altitude or with headwinds or an incline.

An SV1000 or GSXR 1000 would be great: both fairly light-weight, but I can't get my wife on one.  Frankly it's fun looking at the options but it's also frustrating because it doesn't seem to be anything under 450 wet that's good for 2-up in those conidtions.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #32 - 03/12/08 at 05:01:01

Have you considered a Maxi-Scooter?  Such as the Yamaha Majesty or the Suzuki Burgman 400?  Both scooters are fuel injected and can safely carry 2 adult passengers up to interstate speeds.  Both scooters also weigh in at just over 400lbs. The Scooter seats are much wider and more comfortable than the pillion seats on most motorcycles.

I can ride with my wife in pillion on my Vespa GTs 250.  A 400cc scoot, like the Majesty or the Burgman would be that much better....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #33 - 03/12/08 at 06:53:45

firsts40 wrote on 03/11/08 at 19:31:25:
Hutch, just giving my personal observations of mine.  Now I have never had my speedo calibrated by radar, so my readings may be off a little, although I think they are pretty close. Smiley
My speedo needle has never been past just a little over 75mph, and that was laying on the tank. In stock form, it was just screaming rpms like I wasn't in 5th gear. After the mods and going to chain drive, it still won't go up to 80mph indicated, at just past 75mph indicated,laying on the tank it is actualy going about 88-90mph. It gets to 60mph in no time, but after that it feels like I am dragging an anchor, until I get the last 28mph out of it, laying on the tank for 2 miles. With me weighing 150lbs it should fly up to at least 75mph, but it doesn't. It reminds me of my drag cars and bikes that I set up to run to a certain speed, in a certain distance, and then your acelleration falls off. When it gets time to rebuild it(long time) I will hopefully find out what is wrong with it. It is funny how Spotrot, KenG Long, myself, and others have all had Savage/S40's that just run out of steam and are laboring after 75mph. I'm about 500 feet above sea level so that isn't it.            Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #34 - 03/12/08 at 08:37:54

I have had other riders tell me my speedo is the same as their calibrated speedo, and I have had some tell me my speedo reads on the slow side.  I ride most of the time within my comfort zone, and what sounds like the comfort zone of the bike.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #35 - 03/12/08 at 08:55:04

The PO of my bike (vince95) had put a digital speedo on.  The tank speed and the digital were both the same with the belt drive.  I confirm the speed a couple times since I bought the bike.

When I went to the the 17/43 chain, the tank speedo is about 10 miles slow at 60 indicated, actually doing 70.  The ratio obviously increases the faster you go.  So 80 indicated would be closer to 95 actual.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #36 - 03/12/08 at 12:20:48

Spotrot, I will probably get crucified for saying this, but here I go. The Savage is a great bike from 0-60mph with one rider. Some people ride the interstate and some don't. The Savage reminds me of a 60's Triumph 500  without the top end accelleration the Triumph had. The Triumph 650 single carb(TR6) had 13 more horse and only weighed 15 pounds more than the Savage. The twin carb Bonneville had 17 more horsepower at 365 pounds. The Savage doesn't leak oil(mine does at the case) and needs very little maintainace. The Savage is a niche bike. I love the look of the Savage. It reminds me of a mini Harley with a single cylinder motor in it. In your case, knowing that you ride a very fast crotch rocket, and have owned a Savage before, I do not think you will be satisfied with it's performance with 2 riders on the Interstate. I would buy a trailer, as suggested, and buy a bigger bike, with more power to fit your needs.I just hope I didn't tick anyone off with this summary. With all the bikes I have ridden and the 30+ bikes I have owned, in all sizes and power ranges, I was only trying to be truthful. Good luck in your search Spotrot.     Hutch

IP Logged
spotrot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 03/12/08 at 12:49:08

Hutch,

Thanks. I wished our Congressmen had as much guts and sense as you.

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #38 - 03/12/08 at 19:17:39

Hutch wrote on 03/12/08 at 06:53:45:
My speedo needle has never been past just a little over 75mph, and that was laying on the tank. In stock form, it was just screaming rpms like I wasn't in 5th gear. After the mods and going to chain drive, it still won't go up to 80mph indicated, at just past 75mph indicated,laying on the tank it is actually going about 88-90mph. It gets to 60mph in no time, but after that it feels like I am dragging an anchor, until I get the last 28mph out of it, laying on the tank for 2 miles. With me weighing 150lbs it should fly up to at least 75mph, but it doesn't. It reminds me of my drag cars and bikes that I set up to run to a certain speed, in a certain distance, and then your acelleration falls off. When it gets time to rebuild it(long time) I will hopefully find out what is wrong with it. It is funny how Spotrot, KenG Long, myself, and others have all had Savage/S40's that just run out of steam and are laboring after 75mph. I'm about 500 feet above sea level so that isn't it.            Hutch

Anything past about 86 mph required my feet on the passenger pegs and my helmet between the handlebars (before I got the risers and drag bars).  The main reason I started to ride that way was to shift the weight off of the hurty parts.  Once I realized that I was moving faster, it became my preferred way of riding.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #39 - 03/13/08 at 10:28:43

spotrot wrote on 03/12/08 at 12:49:08:
Hutch,

Thanks. I wished our Congressmen had as much guts and sense as you.
Good point, but we don't dare start on that subject.  Hutch

IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #40 - 03/13/08 at 12:45:54

FWIW, I agree with Hutch 100%  My wife's bike is stock, and I'm 6' 200, and I find it miserable to ride for more than 15min around town by myself, let alone with her on the back.  I usually ride on the pass seat to stretch out.  I don't know how anyone that is really tall or big framed can ride these bikes.  My wife is 5' 3", slim, and mostly enjoys tooling around at 35-55mph.  It's a perfect bike for that.  
For a 200lbs person (or for 2up), IMO it would be a dangerous bike to do interstate travel in stockish form, with very little power in reserve.  I rode my wife's to work once, that was enough for me.   A host of mods may help the power situation, but won't help the cramped quarters.  This is essentially a 250cc framed bike with a big ol 650cc shoehorned in.  How many people are comfortable with the space going 2up on the Zuk 250 or Honda Rebel?
I would personally look at a trailer to tow a bike that has the performance and comfort you really want for that kind of usage.

A side note, her speedo reads ~10% higher than actual speed, so does the one on my Mean Streak.  AFAIK metric bikes tend to read high rather than correct or low.

2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (mine)
1999 Suzuki Savage (hers)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #41 - 03/13/08 at 12:53:41

with D404's 140/90-15, the speedo is dead on, confirmed with veypor VR1 and any readable speedo next to me.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:23:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can newer S40's cruise 2-up at interstate speeds?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.