Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can newer S40's cruise 2-up at interstate speeds? (Read 754 times)
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Re: Can newer S40's cruise 2-up at interstate spee
Reply #15 - 02/15/08 at 22:10:54

spotrot wrote on 02/15/08 at 05:29:00:
Jack,

Thanks for your input. I may get another S40 and just copy all your changes - I prefer not do cam, porting, piston etc.

If I can keep up with traffic in the slow lane on interstates when needed against a headwind or hill, with two passengers, 165 and 125, plus windshield and bags, I'll be happy.

John

Judging from my experience, you should be fine with a fairly new savage. I'm 6'6" and weigh 280, just 10 pounds short of your weights combined (go ahead, call me fat). I have NO PROBLEMS maintaining 70 going up a hill BY MYSELF. I also have saddle bags, windshield, and trunk.

The bike has to struggle to maintain 60 mph uphill with my wife ( 6'1" 150 lbs.) Technically, when I ride with my wife it is over the GVWR of the bike (785 lbs - weight of bike(360 lbs. w/accessories) = 425 lbs. of passengers;  150 + 280 = 430 lbs  Sad

You also have to take into account that the older the bike, the harder it will be to maintain high speeds with a load. You should be fine with a relatively new S40.

IP Logged
spotrot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 02/16/08 at 07:09:59

Feelinjunky - that's for the reply. It was just the sort of real-world experience I was looking for.

I went down to dealer to inspect a new one; just missed a low-mileage 04 with bags for $2k.

IP Logged
stumusic
YaBB Newbies

What a great bike...

Poway, CA (near San Diego)
Reply #17 - 03/09/08 at 21:26:46

Jack,

I just purchased a 2007 S40 with 5,000 miles on it and I'm totally new to the sport. I love the bike, but notice you mention discoloration of the pipes. The first third of my pipes, and I believe the whole bike is stock, are very blue. (The bike is a deep blue, almost purple color and the pipes almost match) Is that a sign of abuse by its former owner or some other problem with the bike?

Stuart-

2007 Stock S40
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #18 - 03/10/08 at 17:19:40

stumusic wrote on 03/09/08 at 21:26:46:
Jack,

I just purchased a 2007 S40 with 5,000 miles on it and I'm totally new to the sport. I love the bike, but notice you mention discoloration of the pipes. The first third of my pipes, and I believe the whole bike is stock, are very blue. (The bike is a deep blue, almost purple color and the pipes almost match) Is that a sign of abuse by its former owner or some other problem with the bike?

Stuart-

It's an indication that the bike is still in stock configuration and the carb is set "lean" to meet EPA emission spec.   Read the tech section (the index thread is handy  Wink ) look for carb related subjects.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #19 - 03/11/08 at 09:45:19

Yep go to tech section for how to. My pipe looks new (no discoloration), clean (light grey) with 5400 miles now and pulls like a freighttrain (Oke a little one) with the mods I did. No matter which pipe you want to run, it NEEDS to be enriched on jetting and the needle needs to be raised. This also keeps you exhaust valves cooler (read healthier)Cheesy See my mods below.
Have fun Grin

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #20 - 03/11/08 at 11:24:33

I bought my S-40 new in 2006 and did the pipe/jet change,K&N filter and still could not get over 70mph out of mine I only weigh 150lbs. I put the chain conversion on it and now can run the interstate at 70mph with lower rpms and have a top speed of 80-90mph. I posted the how to convert to chain in the tech department. I still prefer to ride the Kawasaki W650 twin on the Interstate. It handle better, weighs only 420 pounds, will cruise at 70-75 all day with 65-70mpg, and dosen't get buffeted around by the wind. It still has plenty of snap at 75mph(3500rpm left) for passing and top end of 120mph. I paid $1000 less for the W650, with 5000 miles on it, than it cost for the new S-40 The Savage is a great bike, but not for 2 people on the interstate, at least not with my 5 speed S-40 and all the mods. I just don't feel safe on the interstate. I hate staying in the slow lane and holding up the people doing 80mph average in my state. The older Savage you owned, sounds just like my newer S-40        Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
spotrot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/11/08 at 12:15:32

Hutch,
Thanks for your input, that's exactly what I needed. The W650 looks good but is a lot heavier at 473 wet. If I decide to go that heavy, the number of bikes to consider goes up considerably.
I'm still on the line and looking for suggestions.
John

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #22 - 03/11/08 at 12:16:44

Hutch, I bought my 06 new, and I have kept it 100% stock, and I can cruise all day at 70 with no problems.  Even at 70, if I roll the throttle she will get up to 80 with no problem.  I perfer to cruise around 65, but she creeps up to 70 by herself some times, so I just let it run.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #23 - 03/11/08 at 12:54:46

Spotrot, the one thing that is nice about the w650 is that you would never know that it weighs that much. You can rock the bike back and forth between your knees, with no hands when it is setting, and it feels like a lot smaller bike. The balance is great and it never feels heavy at any speed. Nor does it lack for power. Mine is stock. It still has the covers over the carb screws and runs great. I just check the oil(hasn't used a drop in 2500 miles) fill with gas and go. I just put on a windscreen and hard bags, and I am ready for the interstate long hauls. Alone or with a passenger, no problem.
First40, The S-40 I bought new in 2006 would accelerate like crazy but run out of steam at 70mph, after the mods. That is why I came up with the chain drive conversion. It still is a slouch in my mind, even with a 14% gear change. I love the bike, but hate it when others talk about how theirs pulls two people at interstate speed. I have been working on bikes for 40+ years of my life, and this thing just barely pulls my 150lbs around at 80mph. I have to lay on the tank to get 88mph out of it, and that takes a long 2 mile, no hill stretch. I've tried all the jets, and some old tricks that I used to do to other bikes, and it runs the best at 70mph. Anything over that and it takes for ever to gain 10 mph.It should be broke in with 3500 miles on it. I even checked to see if the brakes were dragging.  I guess I just bought a dog. It is a pretty dog with all my mods, but mine is used for country roads, and that is it. I even have the speedo marked different for the chain drive. All speeds were checked by a freind of mine, who is a policeman, with the State Police radar in his cruiser. I don't feel completely alone with my bike. I have heard several others complain about their bikes not being able to do things like everyone else either.  Some times you just get a dog. I think Justin-o-Guy2 said it best. "YOU PAY YOUR MONEY, AND YOU TAKE YOUR CHANCES."        Hutch

IP Logged
spotrot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 03/11/08 at 13:13:49

How heavy the bike feels is not the issue. My Hayabusa weighs about 560 wet, and it feels fine.

The problem is that this bike is to go on the back of my RV, and the weight limit is 500 lbs with the lift-rack.  So I need a good 2-up bike that weighs under 425.

We travel to the West, so the 2-up speed needs to consider altitude, head winds and inclines. I'd guess I can make the Savage go 75 2-up OK on a flat road at seal level, but I have my concerns what it would do on a highway in Colorado.

I appreciated the input.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #25 - 03/11/08 at 13:18:48

Hutch, Mine pulls strong sitting upright behind the little factory fairing till almost 90 indicated (86 on the GPS which matches the Sigma speedometer) . Tucked in it'll slowly gets to almost 100 mph. (92.99mph on the sigma). I still run stock beltdrive. I weight 185. Maybe your rings never seated properly or maybe you have a broken one. Run a compression check or better yet, a leak down test, like they do on Porsches and Airplanes which will show even a bad seating intake/exhaust valve or a burned exhaust valve or a leak between cylinder and head surface. Also check exhaust for internal resistance like broken baffles. Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #26 - 03/11/08 at 13:27:42

Spotrot; Are you flat-towing a car too. If not you could always get a small trailer (under $200) and put any bike on it. If you'd normally pull in your camping spot and only use the bike for daytrips it should work fine (like running into town or cruising the backroads). Yes at higher altitudes we all (unless Supercharged or Turbo'd) loose about 4% performance per 1000 feet elevation. Smiley

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #27 - 03/11/08 at 13:46:49

Vtail, everything has been checked, before and after all the mods, several times. It has never burned oil, just leaks it out the bottom of the case, about 2 drips aday, even when setting. Valves checked, you name it, it is all AOK. I have tried all different jets and it runs the best with the 152.5 or the 155 main. Pilot jets changed. Jardine pipe. K&N filter. 14% gear change and it will hit 90 mph layin on the tank with a tail wind after about 2 or more miles. I'm quite sure that most of my post from a year ago are gone, but that was the reason that I wanted to change to chaindrive. I went through the whole, try this,check that thing back then. It was all checked before I gave up and went to coming up with the chaindrive conversion. I kept telling everyone my tranny was geared different, or it was just a dog. I am not saying this to be beligerant,just to let you know that I know my way around bikes, but as I said I have had over 30 bikes and have rebuilt bike motors my self for 40 years. I have been able to eek out every mph I could out of a bike, but not this one. I had the same problems with a couple of cars in the past. Identicle cars and motors. Identicle drive trains for gearing, one would run great, the other one wouldn't. I used to race cars at the drag strip for years and built my own motors from the bottom up. Every once in awhile you just can't get a car(or bike) to run like it should. They call them lemons. If the S-40 was my only bike, I would sell it. Fortunately I will sell all my other bikes, and STILL keep the S-40 for back roads, and the W650 for all other rides. I'm not saying the S-40 in general is a bad bike. Mine just isn't up to par with most other ones. It still accelerates like crazy(beating Harleys to 60mph) but still runs out of any good acceleration at about 75-80mph., and is done at 90mph laying on the tank. I just can't figure out why, so I live with it and ride it within it's limits. I still love the bike.  Hutch

« Last Edit: 03/11/08 at 15:08:04 by Hutch »  

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #28 - 03/11/08 at 15:05:13

Spotrot, I looked at all the different sights about the W650 and seen how the dry weight varied. Before I put the hardbags on and windshield, I took it and weighed it at the local truck scales. Mine weighs 451lbs soaking wet. Mine doesn't have all the drip can California garbage on it, so maybe that is why. It is totaly stock though. I like to have a bike that acellerates to 90mph in 1/4 mile and the W650 will do the 1/4 at 95mph. Just what you need when passing a semi on the Interstate and still not get run over by the guy doing 85mph in the center lane with his cruise on. That is normal in Michigan. Sorry I forgot to mention that earlier. With a 500 lbs lift rack you should be good to go, unless you pack at lot of other stuff on the lift as well.     Hutch

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #29 - 03/11/08 at 18:38:40

My bike got me from Tulsa to Dallas in just under 4 hours on the interstate.  I averaged between 80-92 mph.  The biggest problem I had was butt-hurt from the crappy stock seat.  Mine is a '99 and has a mac pipe on it.  As best I can figure, the carb is in stock, or nearly stock configuration (I haven't had the time to dig into it yet).  I am 5'7" and weigh about 170.  I haven't had any problem with my GF (similar height, about 20 #s lighter) on the back, but we never stay on the highway for more than a few minutes 2-up.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:26:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can newer S40's cruise 2-up at interstate speeds?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.