Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can newer S40's cruise 2-up at interstate speeds? (Read 754 times)
spotrot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Can newer S40's cruise 2-up at interstate speeds?
02/12/08 at 14:29:55

Hi, new to this forum, it looks great. I figured this is the best place to ask for lessons from experience:

Can the newer S40's cruise at interstate speeds with 2-up and a windscreen? 5 years ago I bought a Savage with 6k miles and it had a hard time holding 75 with 2-up. With a headwind or a hill, it couldn't keep up with traffic. I'm wondering whether the newer models have more hp (or maybe my old one was not up to par).

A follow-up question is: Are there any inexpensive mods to help with top end? I don't care about acceleration (I have a Hayabusa for those thrills).

The reason I ask is that I need a light-weight bike, one that won't torture a passenger, to carry on a rack on the back of a RV. I can't find anything like that under 400 lbs. GS500F and CBR600F4I were close.

Any suggesestions are appreciated. Photo attached: the old Savage at Pikes Peak (sorry -site rejected the 75k jpg).

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Can newer S40's cruise 2-up at interstate spee
Reply #1 - 02/12/08 at 14:38:13

Both of mine are ok with two people,and I'm a BIG guy. They're an '86&'87.look in the tech section for upgrades.There are carb/exhaust upgrades,changing cams,chain conversions for different topend,If it can be done it's there. Wink  

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/13/08 at 02:39:12

If you arent worried about acceleration, the chain mod sounds like your best deal. Of course, letting it breath & feeding it the right mixture will play a role, too. I hadnt noticed mine not hanging at 75, but I never haul a passenger. I am no mathmagician, but there is a way to figure the required horsepower to run a mass & given amount of drag down the road at speed. Rumor has it that the required power to maintain that speed increases if the road starts pointing up. Or if a headwind starts blowing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 02/13/08 at 05:18:48

From your brief into it sounds like your first experience with the Savage was with a stock machine.   By the way, there is no power difference between the Savage and S40 ... simply a name change.  
With a a decent muffler to allow more exhaust flow and a proper rejet/tune job the machine will run much better and do what you want it to do.  This engine makes good low and midrange torque which is what you want for easy two up cruising.
For max comfort for a passenger I would consider the gel pillow seat and changing the rear shocks to a set of Progressive 412's for much better control/comfort.  
The jetting, muffler, shocks and seat changes can be done for less than $400.

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #4 - 02/13/08 at 06:02:05

LANCER wrote on 02/13/08 at 05:18:48:
For max comfort for a passenger I would consider the gel pillow seat and changing the rear shocks to a set of Progressive 412's for much better control/comfort.  
The jetting, muffler, shocks and seat changes can be done for less than $400.

What is the gel pillow seat?  

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 02/13/08 at 08:25:39

In all honestly, the Savage40 is capable of 2 up at interstate speeds, but you'll want to make that trip about 10 miles...especially for the passenger.  That stock pillon is about like a brick for even short trips.

The pillon is more cosmetic than comfort.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #6 - 02/13/08 at 08:34:29

It kind of depends on your definition of cruise at interstate speeds is.

Yes if you aren't really putting a big sail up (polite way of saying you and your rider aren't larger people), are willing to do some modifications to the MC,  are willing to live with short distances between stops, and willing to live without a lot of power in reserve, the Savage will cruise at interstate speeds. But that's not where it excels. It excels in short cruises at less than interstate speeds (where I ride the interstates, currently if you don't want to be constantly passed 75 mph and up is the norm on good weather days and the speed seems to keep going up).

With that said, there aren't a whole lot of choices for interstate cruisers below 400 lbs. for riding two up.

IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #7 - 02/13/08 at 09:51:32

If your other savage just so happened to be older than a '96 model, they've added a 5th gear since then. Otherwise, chain conversion is probably your best bet.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #8 - 02/13/08 at 10:46:56

spotrot wrote on 02/12/08 at 14:29:55:
Can the newer S40's cruise at interstate speeds with 2-up and a windscreen? 5 years ago I bought a Savage with 6k miles and it had a hard time holding 75 with 2-up. With a headwind or a hill, it couldn't keep up with traffic. I'm wondering whether the newer models have more hp (or maybe my old one was not up to par).

Sounds exactly like my 2002. I'm in Albuquerque at 5000 ft elevation and my Savage labors to keep up on the freeway between Abq and Santa Fe. I get passed constantly because the bike can't keep up with traffic. I've modded the carb and put on a lower restriction muffler but top speed on a good day is still only about 80. I actually had to get off the freeway one day and take back roads because the headwind kept me below 60 and that was just too darn dangerous.

Ken

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #9 - 02/13/08 at 11:15:54

The Savage is a great bike for solo riders.  It's just OK for 2 up riding.  On the express way, at  Interstate speeds?  What interstate?

65mph through western Ohio (where it's realtively flat, yes)  70mph through West Virginia (where you get 8% grades for 6 or 10 miles) no way.

My wife had ridden in pillion on the express way only once.  After that, she insisted on her own bike...

It wasn't awful with both of us on there.  But it wasn't comfortable either.

If you want to ride 2 up on the interstate, I'd suggest a much bigger bike....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
spotrot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/13/08 at 21:20:15

Thanks for the input. I didn't know if my previous bike was sub-par or the if the newer ones were a tad healthier. Seems like neither now.

I liked the bike and was able to pull away from my buddies who were riding a new BMW and HD on the dragon, but highway driving 2-up was scary slow.

I forgot that it had an aftermarket muffler too. The gel seat info sure fits my experience too. I had to get an airhawk for any ride over a few hours. It was good for 7 hours, plus worked on planes.

'Seems strange there's just no fairly light-weight bike, comfortable for 2-up that can manage 75 mph uphill when needed. Zuki sport bikes are light and blindingly fast but terrible for passengers over 30. And it seems all cruisers are fairly heavy sleds.

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #11 - 02/14/08 at 05:12:21

spotrot wrote on 02/13/08 at 21:20:15:
Seems strange there's just no fairly light-weight bike, comfortable for 2-up that can manage 75 mph uphill when needed. Zuki sport bikes are light and blindingly fast but terrible for passengers over 30. And it seems all cruisers are fairly heavy sleds.

Some of the older designed cruisers that are still made are relatively light weight.  The Intruder 1400 weighs 535 pounds.

IP Logged
spotrot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/14/08 at 07:38:44

The Intruder is a good looking bike but with a Suzuki-speak dry weight of 535, it probably is closer to 600 lbs wet.

I'd love to get a SV1000 or GSXR1000, both light-weight, (S says 370 dry) but there's little chance of making them comfortable for a passenger for touring.

A Triumph 865cc Thruxton  (494 wet) is getting closer but I've had British bikes before, and 500 lbs is too heavy to push. Grin

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #13 - 02/14/08 at 21:35:44

All I've done is take out the white spacer and put a Sportster muffler on. I've not re-jetted or changed the air filter, although I do use a car paper air filter that I make fit in the box instead of the original. The paper filter probably allows a little more air flow now that I think of it. I get no pipe discoloration to speak of. Oh yeah, I run synthetic oil too.

I say all this to build up to the fact that, with my one size over Dunlop on the back, I can run interstate speeds all day with my 180 pounds and another 100+ pounds on the back in bags and strapped on all over the place. Add to that the weight of the different seat, the five gallon tank on the front and the four gallon one on the back and my bike is quite a bit heavier than stock. I've run at over a true 80-85 mph on the interstate in the hills of N. Carolina a time or two when it was needed although, I prefer a true 65 mph or so because of the vibration quotient, the VQ as it were. I've run with the big dogs in August (until I couldn't take the noise any more) on two different trips to Miami and one to NC from southern MN, mostly on interstate, and the bike just goes. That's with a full fairing type windshield too.

If you want to run you can run. I hope to try the Rockies this next summer if I can get the new hardened cam chain installed. And get permission of course.

Jack

IP Logged
spotrot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/15/08 at 05:29:00

Jack,

Thanks for your input. I may get another S40 and just copy all your changes - I prefer not do cam, porting, piston etc.

If I can keep up with traffic in the slow lane on interstates when needed against a headwind or hill, with two passengers, 165 and 125, plus windshield and bags, I'll be happy.

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:18:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can newer S40's cruise 2-up at interstate speeds?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.