Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quick (and dumb) battery charging question (Read 66 times)
Spydre
YaBB Newbies

Boston, MA
Quick (and dumb) battery charging question
02/12/08 at 07:47:26

I finally pulled the battery out of my savage to charge it a bit before the spring rolls around, but after reading the manual, I was a bit confused as to what I should do about the 6 vent screws (or whatever) on top.

While charging, should I leave the screws off?  Also, am I supposed to put distilled water in them?  Any help would be really appreciated.  If you want, I could take pictures of the battery for reference.  Thanks a lot!

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Re: Quick (and dumb) battery charging question
Reply #1 - 02/12/08 at 07:58:16

On some more modern batteries those vent plugs are meant to stay in place, on most it is better to loosen them to let the cells vent while you charge.  If they look like there's no way to pry them out, leave them in.

It's always best to use distilled water if you can.  In some areas the tap water is quite soft and mineral-free, but in others it's quite hard and will tend to coat your battery plates.  It's not the end of the world if you use ordinary water, but distilled is better for battery life.

No need to top them up unless they're getting low, and don't top them right up to the roof of the battery.  There should be minimum and maximum fill lines on the battery casing, and the full line is usually a good quarter inch from the top of the battery to allow room for gas expansion and avoid acid being vented.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Spydre
YaBB Newbies

Boston, MA
Reply #2 - 02/12/08 at 08:15:45

Thanks for the quick response.  Right now, I unscrewed the vent caps and took them off while charging.  I'll check the water levels in them and add a little bit if it looks like it needs it then.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/13/08 at 02:28:06

The water will run off easily instead of going in the hole, its so darned little. Unless you can pour a very thin, well aimed, sream & then its easy to overfill the cell. I used a syringe, well, I DID, before I blew the poor thing up & replaced it with a Big Crank.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:26:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Quick (and dumb) battery charging question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.