Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What's the effect of the cam issue? (Read 275 times)
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
What's the effect of the cam issue?
02/12/08 at 06:03:53

If the cam chain issue occurs I assume the cams stop spinning and you are dead in the water.  But will damage to the engine be done if this happens?  Is the engine an interference design?

« Last Edit: 02/14/08 at 05:06:58 by Keith_T »  
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: What's the effect of the cam issue?
Reply #1 - 02/12/08 at 08:32:59

Depending on the position of the valves( open or closed) the piston can touch the valves. The valve(s) can bent or break and cause more damage inside the cylinder.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/12/08 at 11:21:27

Its been a while since I saw the reference, and dont know where I saw it, but the remark, not necessarily on this site, was that the tensioner breaks and falls into the Engine.

After seing other posts here I dont think that is the case, unless you oily handers can visualise broken bits falling down a valve hole or something.

I suspect that the Intertia of our big thumpers would mean that the piston has a number of chances of hitting one or more valves and is likely  break a valve letting the bore be damaged as well.

A long time ago I had a BMW 750 car, twin Cylinder Bike engine being the motive power, and that dropped a valve (Just Broke) I had to rebuild the engine, bore was damaged.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/12/08 at 12:02:52

Keith_T wrote on 02/12/08 at 06:03:53:
If the cam chain issue occurs I assume the valves stop spinning and you are dead in the water.  But will damage to the engine be done if this happens?  Is the engine an interference design?

Unless you're gonna go back to the flat head design, all engines are of an interference design.  The valves open when the piston goes down and close when it goes up.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 02/12/08 at 12:09:37

I forget where, but I saw a photo of a piston that was damaged when it hit a valve.  That happens because the valve timing is incorrect.

And somewhere a tensioner separated and the spring fell into the primary gears.

BTW - Valves don't "spin", and all 4 stroke reciprocating engines have an "interference design" if the valve timing becomes seriously incorrect Tongue

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #5 - 02/12/08 at 12:25:29

Savage_Greg wrote on 02/12/08 at 12:09:37:
BTW - Valves don't "spin", and all 4 stroke reciprocating engines have an "interference design" if the valve timing becomes seriously incorrect Tongue

Sorry, I meant to say cams not valves.  By interference I'm thinking of modern car engines where the clearance between piston and valve is so tight that if the timing is out of spec they can collide.  In non-interferece engines the valve would have to be seriously incorrect to do this, like you said.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 02/12/08 at 12:51:19

Keith_T wrote on 02/12/08 at 06:03:53:
If the cam chain issue occurs I assume the valves stop spinning and you are dead in the water.  But will damage to the engine be done if this happens?  Is the engine an interference design?

Well of course if the cam chain lets go the cam stops spinning. But where the valves stops nobody knows. If you are lucky; the valve springs pull the cam around (if its free) until the rockers are on the low part of the cam lobes and the valves are all closed. If "unlucky" something freezes up the valve train/cam and some valve(s) are stuck at full open. Or worse yet something happens to make the spring clips let go; or the stem of the valve gets broken in it's guide. Then you have a nice big hunk of metal in there denting, bending, scratching every possible thing in the cylinder. On the cam chain side, I seem to recall at least one person's chain failure leading to a cracked crankcase; because the chain dropped and jammed up below it's crank sprocket. Does this sound right anyone, or am I remembering something wrong?

At any rate, it is best not to tempt fate when it comes to valve train timing and specs. My wife has a mid 90s Chrysler 4-cylinder car which had a reputation of having the timing belt let go at about 70k and destroying engines. We had the belt changed as a routine maintenance at about 60k just to be safe. I've also eluded the supposed imminent failure of the transmission in those vehicles at 65-70k by finding out that despite what the owners manual says: NEVER put Dexron in those Chrysler transmissions. Go to the Chrysler dealer and pay the $8 a gallon for their OEM type 4 or 5, and the transmission will last a l-o-n-g  time, just as it should. An ounce of preventive maintenance is worth several busted knuckles and bloody fingers worth of wrenching later!  Wink

IP Logged
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/12/08 at 15:42:47

Interference Design?

I am way out of touch here but if you want to get rid of exhaust gas it must be on the "Up" stroke, so the Valve must be open.
Therefore if there is a performance advantage it must be inlet valves only that are interference or am I missing something?

IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 02/12/08 at 17:50:06

Yes the exhaust valve starts to open just before BDC after the power stroke as the piston pass's BDC  the ramp of the lobes profile opens the valve to its full open pos. while the piston is comening up as the piston nears TDC the lobe profile starts to allow the valve to start closing keeping it with enough clearance from piston as not to have contact. Many cams have profiles which will keep the exhaust valve open ever so slight past TDC of the exhaust stroke an allow the intake valve to start to open This allows air fule mix to pass out the exhaust .This is a scavaging to clear cylinder of exhaust gas's and start the intake stroke. Many do not realize there is a very low vacume at the exhaust port as the valve nears closing but this relies on the cam lobe profiles. This is one reason it is very importain to address valve adjustments with the correct engine temp and the correct clearance You must sure make sure you are at TDC at the end of the compression stroke.
It's late Iv'e said enough
Ridw on Ride safe
Viper

IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 02/12/08 at 17:58:37

Sorry as you can see I can't see the key board or I have forgotten how to spell.
Ride on Ride safe
Viper

Yes again valve timeing cam lift and cam profile (the way the lobes are ground) Make power

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 02/13/08 at 08:13:54

Maybe it wouldn't be an issue on a side valve engine...

But the Savage40 ain't one...and neither is my Malibu or Dodge for that matter.

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #11 - 02/13/08 at 08:24:34

I think that most older overhead valve engine have enough clearance that unless the valves come out of their guides they cannot impact the pistons.  I was hoping the Savage engine was an old enough design to be non-interference.  Below is an excerpt from a wiki on timing belts that describes the difference between interference and non-interference.  But in the case of the cam chain it sounds like the valves are not the main issue, but the issue is the chain dropping down into the engine and causing havoc.

Quote:
Depending on the design of the engine, the piston and valve paths may "interfere" with one another and incorrect timing in their movements may result in the piston and valves colliding. (Such designs are also called "interference head" or "interference engines", and include virtually all diesel engines. Conversely, non-interfering engines, such as the Mazda B engine, are called "free-wheeling" or "non-interference" engines.)

In interference designs, regular service is especially important as incorrect timing may result in the pistons and valves colliding and causing extensive engine damage and therefore costly repairs. The piston will likely bend the valves or if a piece of valve or piston is broken off within the cylinder, the broken piece may cause severe damage within the cylinder, often also affecting the crankshaft. Some manufacturers, such as Nissan, have switched back to timing chains for the majority of their engines because of the breakage problems associated with belts. However, in some newer engines, timing belts are designed to last the effective life of the engine. Other manufacturers, such as Toyota, use a mix: timing chains on their interference engines and timing belts on their non-interference engines.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 02/13/08 at 08:49:13

Keith_T wrote on 02/13/08 at 08:24:34:
I think that most older overhead valve engine have enough clearance that unless the valves come out of their guides they cannot impact the pistons.  I was hoping the Savage engine was an old enough design to be non-interference.  Below is an excerpt from a wiki on timing belts that describes the difference between interference and non-interference.  But in the case of the cam chain it sounds like the valves are not the main issue, but the issue is the chain dropping down into the engine and causing havoc.

Quote:
Depending on the design of the engine, the piston and valve paths may "interfere" with one another and incorrect timing in their movements may result in the piston and valves colliding. (Such designs are also called "interference head" or "interference engines", and include virtually all diesel engines. Conversely, non-interfering engines, such as the Mazda B engine, are called "free-wheeling" or "non-interference" engines.)

In interference designs, regular service is especially important as incorrect timing may result in the pistons and valves colliding and causing extensive engine damage and therefore costly repairs. The piston will likely bend the valves or if a piece of valve or piston is broken off within the cylinder, the broken piece may cause severe damage within the cylinder, often also affecting the crankshaft. Some manufacturers, such as Nissan, have switched back to timing chains for the majority of their engines because of the breakage problems associated with belts. However, in some newer engines, timing belts are designed to last the effective life of the engine. Other manufacturers, such as Toyota, use a mix: timing chains on their interference engines and timing belts on their non-interference engines.

Well, then based on Wiki, the simple answer is "no".  If you loose the cam chain you will be F*&$&@...

Now, why do you ask?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 02/13/08 at 09:06:00

How can all these engine mfgrs have "non-interference" designs when the savage doesn't, especially concidering it low compression ratio?

Every car that I've every owned has had the issue.  Can anyone confirm this design feature?

WWW   IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #14 - 02/13/08 at 09:21:42

[quote author=1C293E3C046D6E6B5B0 link=1202825033/0#12 date=1202921353]Keith_T wrote on 02/13/08 at 08:24:34:
Now, why do you ask?

Well, I originally asked because I am considering a Savage and want to know the risks involved with the cam issue.  But it looks like the issue isn't so much the valves as the other damage it can cause.  The bike I am getting only has 600 miles, so I will just start off using synthetic oil and check the tensioner every 5k miles.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:28:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What's the effect of the cam issue?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.