Ain't Skeered (Read 257 times)
Kix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southeast US
Ain't Skeered
02/10/08 at 17:25:06

Thanks to all the help and advice from the guys on here I just finished re-jetting the carb. on a '98 Savage I recently bought.  I also "thinned out" the white washer.   Smiley     LANCER sent the new jets.  And Greg's CD is lots of help. Wink
I also raised the front of the seat and thanks to 2 or 3 posts about how to accomplish that.    Shocked
Then the rattle in the headlight got fixed too.  And whoever posted that fix ......... thanks!    Roll Eyes
Before I found this forum I was a little skeptical about trying to fix something as complicated as the carb.  Now, I AIN'T SKEERED!    Grin
Thanks    KIX

KIX '98 Savage with Jardine
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Ain't Skeered
Reply #1 - 02/11/08 at 07:15:12

kinda fun too!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 02/11/08 at 13:39:39

You fixed the rattle in the headlight?  You mean that I have a new rattle to fix?

Tongue

IP Logged
Kix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southeast US
Reply #3 - 02/11/08 at 14:20:23

Well, I thought I fixed the headlight rattle.  That is until I rode today and realize all I did was sorta silenced it but not totally. Undecided
Guess i need to disassemble it again and see what's next. Huh

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 02/11/08 at 14:50:55

Kix wrote on 02/11/08 at 14:20:23:
Well, I thought I fixed the headlight rattle.  That is until I rode today and realize all I did was sorta silenced it but not totally. Undecided

What's next is to get rid of that stock plastic piece-o-junk headlight shell, and get something made from metal. There are reasonable alternatives. I think the long-necked light on my 99 cost me about $60 total.

Picture mid-swap:

http://catoosatrading.com/images/cycles/headlight_swap.jpg

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 02/11/08 at 18:11:26

Kix wrote on 02/11/08 at 14:20:23:

Okay.  So let's try it this way Tongue

You said you fixed the headlight rattle, but it looks like maybe you didn't.  So, maybe it wasn't the headlight.  Plus, I hadn't heard of a headlight rattle anyway.

What about the famous "speedo rattle" that just about everyone deals with?  Could it be the speedo?

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 02/11/08 at 18:25:03

Savage_Greg wrote on 02/11/08 at 18:11:26:
[You said you fixed the headlight rattle, but it looks like maybe you didn't.  So, maybe it wasn't the headlight.  Plus, I hadn't heard of a headlight rattle anyway.

What about the famous "speedo rattle" that just about everyone deals with?  Could it be the speedo?

my speedo doesn't rattle,  now the speedometer, that does have a rattle

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Kix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southeast US
Reply #7 - 02/11/08 at 18:57:26

Actually when it's rattliing (vibrating) I can reach around the windscreen and put pressure on the headlight with my fingers and quiet the rattle.  So, I know it's the headlight at least this time.  I read something on this site maybe in the Tech section that mentioned something about vinyl tape around the headlight inside the bucket.  When i took mine apart I could see where it had been rubbing near the tob of the headlight so that's where I taped.  It was getting late and I assumed that was the extent of the problem.  Apparently I was darn near right. Undecided  It'll give me something to do whenever I finish doing whatever I'm supposed to be doing.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 02/11/08 at 22:39:07

sluggo wrote on 02/11/08 at 18:25:03:
[You said you fixed the headlight rattle, but it looks like maybe you didn't.  So, maybe it wasn't the headlight.  Plus, I hadn't heard of a headlight rattle anyway.

Pardon me.  I forgot that you guys out east like to use big words.  My bad....

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 02/11/08 at 22:42:13

Kix wrote on 02/11/08 at 18:57:26:
Actually when it's rattliing (vibrating) I can reach around the windscreen and put pressure on the headlight with my fingers and quiet the rattle.  So, I know it's the headlight at least this time.  I read something on this site maybe in the Tech section that mentioned something about vinyl tape around the headlight inside the bucket.  When i took mine apart I could see where it had been rubbing near the tob of the headlight so that's where I taped.  It was getting late and I assumed that was the extent of the problem.  Apparently I was darn near right. Undecided  It'll give me something to do whenever I finish doing whatever I'm supposed to be doing.  Roll Eyes

Gotta have a mission

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 02/12/08 at 12:16:32

Tech Section "Headlight Rattle"

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1186192038

NOTE TO ROB/Sluggo/VROOM1776 : The index link for this doesn't work.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 02/13/08 at 08:20:26

Okay...so I missed that one.  Oops.

However, I don't believe the case of a headlight rattle is very common, and it begs the question, "why?"  Neither of our 2 Savages ever had this issue...

Not sure that every problem actually qualifies as a "trait" like the speedometer (sluggo) rattle does.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 02/13/08 at 10:21:23

Savage_Greg wrote on 02/13/08 at 08:20:26:
Okay...so I missed that one.  Oops.

However, I don't believe the case of a headlight rattle is very common, and it begs the question, "why?"  Neither of our 2 Savages ever had this issue...

Maybe not so much "missed" ....  maybe more of a "haven't had to deal with it yet".  

Mine rattles now, and this is the first bike I've owned that the HL ever rattled.

Being the inquisitive person I am, I popped the headlight out to see what was in there and to inspect it.  I've noticed the rattle ever since then.  (one of those Homer Simpson moments).    I can see someone having the same issue if they replaced their bulb.  

The fix is one of my "To-Do" things.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 02/13/08 at 23:22:21

sluggo wrote on 02/11/08 at 18:25:03:

Maybe not walking slow, but what about when you are jogging? Wait, no one jogs in a swimsuit.. Guess the speedo no rattle..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:24:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ain't Skeered

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.