oil change (Read 204 times)
jjester
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Idaho
oil change
02/09/08 at 21:50:37

I need to change the oil in my daughters 05 S40 how much does it hold?  I went to the dealer to by a repair manual but they didnt stock it and would have to order it and takes 3-4 weeks and they want 35 dollars for too.   Angry

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Re: oil change
Reply #1 - 02/09/08 at 22:02:04

2 qts gets you in the ballpark. I believe the numbers are actually 2.1 qts with a filter change.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/09/08 at 22:02:31

Depends on what you want to spend for getting it now.

Good deals can be had from ebay on Clymers and Suzuki Shop Manual.

Greg's CD can be gotten in the store.

And Clymers can be gotten to on line, check the tech sect I think there's a link in there.

The Owners manual can be found here too.  Great remedy for those lousy PO's who don't pass that on to you.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1201352134

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099572561

http://home.comcast.net/~kenglong/2002_Suzuki_Savage_LS650P_Owners_Manual.pdf  

I think I repeat myself or is it deja vu?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/10/08 at 00:34:21

The first few oil changes I did the 2.1 thing. Now, I dump 2 in it & go. I know It will need oil after a few hundred miles & I keep it up in the window. Not gonna mess with their .1 quart. Thats truly anal.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jjester
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Idaho
Reply #4 - 02/10/08 at 15:38:11

whats the opinion about oil vrs synthetic  does one help engines run cooler?

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/10/08 at 17:15:40

jjester wrote on 02/09/08 at 21:50:37:
I need to change the oil in my daughters 05 S40 how much does it hold?  I went to the dealer to by a repair manual but they didnt stock it and would have to order it and takes 3-4 weeks and they want 35 dollars for too.   Angry

I bought the Factory Shop manual and it was a waste of money unless you plan to do a serious engine rebuild.  Buy Clymer's manual.  It is much more practical and complete..for example the Factory Manual says nothing about the trick way to get the gas tank off.  Also, $35.00 seems cheap for a Factory Manual.  Mine cost $70.00.  Are you sure they aren't trying to sell you the owners' manual?

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/10/08 at 17:22:59

Arthur wrote on 02/10/08 at 17:15:40:
jjester wrote on 02/09/08 at 21:50:37:

I forgot to mention...beware the Ebay listings for a Savage Factory Shop Manual on CD.  Some of these sellers lie and send you a CD of the Clymers manual.  Also beware of the sellers who sell the Clymers manual on CD.  I bought one and it is all there, except the file is corrupt so that when you try to print out a certain page. you get a different page, and if you try to print out the whole manual, pages are missing and others duplicated.  I gave the CD to another person who tried it and ran into the same problem.  CD versions are much cheaper than the book but are worthless if you can't print out a page to take out to your bike to look at and match up against what you are seeing on the bike.

I bought the Factory Shop manual and it was a waste of money unless you plan to do a serious engine rebuild.  Buy Clymer's manual.  It is much more practical and complete..for example the Factory Manual says nothing about the trick way to get the gas tank off.  Also, $35.00 seems cheap for a Factory Manual.  Mine cost $70.00.  Are you sure they aren't trying to sell you the owners' manual?

IP Logged
jjester
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Idaho
Reply #7 - 02/10/08 at 18:37:49

the 35 dollars is for a clymer manual they do not stock it at my suzuki dealer

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #8 - 02/11/08 at 02:44:27

jjester wrote on 02/10/08 at 15:38:11:
whats the opinion about oil vrs synthetic  does one help engines run cooler?
Without wanting to set off yet another oil debate, the answer is synthetic, because synthetic oils reduce friction at molecular level, and generate less heat.  
They also resist overheating damage a whole lot better, and last longer in the sump - so despiyte initial purchase price being higher they don't actually cost you more in the long run (plus your engine should last twice as long!!).

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #9 - 02/11/08 at 13:03:56

ch section with step by step pics, its so easy I did it in a few minutes myself, this is a great site if you don't have a lot of past experience working on stuff to learn.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 02/11/08 at 18:13:35

jjester wrote on 02/10/08 at 18:37:49:

EBAY!

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 02/11/08 at 18:27:42

prefer colgate... Grin    arid extra dry     delco 400 10-40 the only thing i run in every machine i own.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #12 - 02/11/08 at 18:50:38

jjester wrote on 02/10/08 at 18:37:49:

I ordered my Clymers online, got it for around $23. I think it was through Amazon.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:32:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.