Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Considering S40 (Read 226 times)
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Considering S40
02/09/08 at 21:10:24

My Dad's wife has an S40 that she is selling.  Tonight at the Chicago bike show I spend a lot of time looking at the one there.  I am 6 foot so I was concerned about fitting on the bike.  It's ergonomics seem similar to many of the other cruisers I sat on even though it is a smaller bike.  I sat on it for 5 minutes at a stretch many times.  it seemed pretty comfortable, especially for the size of the bike.  I've read the seat can be changed to a Sportster seat.  How easy/hard is that to do?  In the past I had a Yamaha Virago 1100 that I loved.  It was lightweight and handed well.  How is the handling in the twisties on the S40?  How is the engine's power?  I've been passed by a Savage when i was going 75 mph, so it must be able to do at least 80?  Does the bike vibrate at higher speeds?  The other bikes I am considering are the Nighthawk 250 and 750 as well as some 80's UJM's.  I like the S40 because it will be an almost new bike for around $2000.  Plus I like the simplicity of it.  It seems I would be able to fix a lot of things myself if needed.  The bike will be mainly for evening or weekend fun rides of 20-30 miles.  I had much larger touring bikes and cruisers in the past but just want a fun knock about bike now.  Are forward controls still made for the S40?

« Last Edit: 02/10/08 at 05:43:15 by Keith_T »  
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Considering S40
Reply #1 - 02/09/08 at 21:29:32

In my opinion the Savage/S40 is a great bike for the purposes you mentioned and more. There is one member here Paladin who took an extended cruise and had no problems what so ever.

I too am six foot tall and I built my own forward controls, you can buy some ready made forward controls from seeger cycles and other places on the net. There is a member here who is building some out of aluminum and selling them. Ed L is his name.

You are correct, the Savage/S40 is very easy to work on as long as you have a manual and with loads of help from the folks on this site. We have some very knowledgeable guys and gals here who are more than willing to answer any questions.

I don't know how hard it is to replace the seat because I am still using my stock seat for my 2000 model Savage. But many here have done the change over and have stated that it is not actually that difficult to do.

Yes, it does vibrate a bit at higher speeds but you get used to it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 02/09/08 at 21:33:51

Oh, by the way, welcome to the site.  Wink

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #3 - 02/09/08 at 22:11:50

I am 6 ft and am very comfortable on my S40. The vibrations are tolerable. I mostly commute about 30 minutes each way mixed freeway and city streets. Love the bike for what it is, easy to work on, no carbs to sync, etc. You will find threads here where folks have converted from belt drive to chain drive. This allows you to tailor the final drive ratios to move the sweet spot to match your riding. Welcome to the site!!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/09/08 at 22:28:37

Let's put it this way... it's not a sport bike.  But it's handling is light and responsive.  And you won't beat a Ferrari uphill drag race, but you'll many a pinto choking on it's own fumes.  A manual, this site are all you need as long as you have some common sense to work on your own bike.

Seat change over:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1161011205

BTW: check out the tech section, alot of stuff is already covered. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 02/10/08 at 04:59:59

It's a thumper, it is supposed to vibrate.  Unfortunately Suzuki designed a rather efficient counterbalancer.  It has a LOT less vibration than I expected or would have accepted.  For me, the vibrations don't get annoying until 80mph.

For just knocking about you might consider shedding a few pounds -- check out the various bobbers.

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #6 - 02/10/08 at 13:22:43

Hey watch the Pinto jokes, GrinI just happen to be building one.Yet another one of my projects.'77 Cruising wagon(panel wagon). Roll Eyes

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #7 - 02/10/08 at 13:36:14

I found out it is an 04, not an 05 so it would be a Savage.  I liked the drag bars on the bike I sat on.  Are the buckhorn bars in about the same position as the drag bars or back much further?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 02/10/08 at 14:53:57

Demin wrote on 02/10/08 at 13:22:43:
Hey watch the Pinto jokes, GrinI just happen to be building one.Yet another one of my projects.'77 Cruising wagon(panel wagon). Roll Eyes

Sorry, it was all I could think of in the approximate unperformance minded car that was at least better than a stock vdub.

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #9 - 02/10/08 at 15:01:05

The Buckhorns are up and back giving a slightly more upright riding position.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 02/10/08 at 19:32:54

When I first picked up my bike, the buck-horns felt a little odd. But, then I loosened the bar clamps and tipped them forward a bit.  Now they're good.  
 I have some probelms with my shoulders  (did a few months as an apprentice stone mason...  hammer on rock... not good for the body joints).  The buckhorns have the grips at a slightly better angle.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #11 - 02/10/08 at 20:20:54

I looked at the bike tonight and liked it alot.  It has a set of Leatherlyke hard bags that come with it.  I wasn't counting on that.  With them I definitely want the bike.  As long as an expected bonus at work comes through as planned the bike will be mine.  I have wait until mid-march though. Sad

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #12 - 02/12/08 at 11:03:26

Keith_T wrote on 02/10/08 at 20:20:54:
I looked at the bike tonight and liked it alot.  It has a set of Leatherlyke hard bags that come with it.  I wasn't counting on that.  With them I definitely want the bike.  As long as an expected bonus at work comes through as planned the bike will be mine.  I have wait until mid-march though. Sad

I just got my '05 S-40 this month, and it is driving me crazy because the weather sucks so bad that I can't even really play with it at all. So I know how you feel about having to wait.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 02/12/08 at 11:44:38

Who was the singer....Carly Simon??  "Anticipation......"

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 02/13/08 at 06:31:23

Keith_T wrote on 02/10/08 at 20:20:54:
It has a set of Leatherlyke hard bags that come with it.  I wasn't counting on that.

That is a very nice addition.  Paladin has them and I still want some.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:31:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Considering S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.