MANY PROBS NO ANSWERS (Read 322 times)
REPINSEGAVAS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

S.W. Oregon
MANY PROBS NO ANSWERS
02/09/08 at 11:57:52

HELLO ALL IVE BEEN LURKING AROUND FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS AND DECIDED TO JOIN AND GET SOME MUCH NEEDED INPUT ON MY PROB I BOUGHT MY 97 SAVAGE MARCH 07 WITH 2200MI AN I LOVE IT
BETWEEN MARCH AND OCT I PUT ON A BLISSFUL AND UNEVENTFUL (EXCEPT STANDARD MAINTENANCE AND AFTER MARKET TURN OUT 3" MUFF) 5500MI APPROX.

THEN TRAVELING DOWN THE FREEWAY AT ABOUT 70MPH IN THE FAST LANE I WAS PASSING A SEMI WHEN THERE WAS A LOUD CLUNK KIND OF BANG SOUND THAT MADE MY BIKE LURCH. I VERY QUICKLY GRABBED THE CLUTCH NOT KNOWING WHAT HAPPENED AND IT SMOOTHENED OUT. I THOUGHT EVERYTHING WAS OK SO I RELEASED THE CLUTCH  ATTEMPTING TO ACCELERATE IN ORDER TO GET PASSED THE TRUCK, WHILE STARTING TO TWIST THE THROTTLE BACK INTO PASSING MODE I REALIZED THERE WAS NO RESPONSE. THE BIKE WASNT RUNNING AND I WAS SLOWING DOWN NOT GOOD I GRABBED THE CLUTCH ONCE AGAIN HOPING THERE WAS STILL NO ONE BEHIND ME STARTED TO SLOW DOWN TO GET BEHIND THE SEMI SO I COULD GET OFF ON THE SHOULDER AND INSPECT MY BIKE. AFTER I REACHED THE SHOULDER REALIZING THAT WHAT HAD JUST TRANSPIRED HAN TAKEN PLACE IN THE MATTER OF SECONDS INSTEAD OF WHAT FELT LIKE AN ETERNITY. I COMMENCED TO CHECK MY BIKE, WELL FIRST I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD RESTART IT SO I PREPARED TO START THE BIKE AGAIN AND AS I PUSHED THE START BUTTON IT CRANKED OVER WITH GUSTO BUT WOULD NOT FIRE JUST CRANK OVER. AT THAT TIME I DECIDED TO CALL FOR SOMEONE TO COME GET ME AND TOLD THEM I WOULD START PUSHING TOWARD TOWN AS I WAITED FOR THEM  WELL NEEDLESS TO SAY ABOUT TWO MILES LATER I WAS NEARING THE OFFRAMP.  I CALLED MY HELP BACK TO LET THEM KNOW WHERE I WAS AN THEY HADNT LEFT TOWN  YET SO THEY MET ME JUST DOWN THE OFFRAMP. WHEN I REACHED THE SHOP AND STARTED TO EXAMINE THE BIKE FURTHER I REALIZED THAT AS IT CRANKED OVER IT SOUNDED AS IF THERE WAS NO COMPRESSION SO I REMOVED THE SPARK PLUG AND CRANKED IT OVER ONCE AGAIN SURE ENOUGH NO COMP. DECIDED TO PULL VALVE COVERS OFF AND CHECK VALVES FIRST CHECKED FIRST TWO VALVES NO PROB GOT TWO THIRD AND IT DIDNT FEEL RIGHT PULLED UP ON STEM AND IT PULLED UP ABOUT 1/8 IN NOT GOOD A DROPPED VALVE UPON CLOSER INSPECTION REALIZED THE CAM AND ROCKERS CHEWED UP AS WELL. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED I DIDNT HAVE TIME TO TEAR ANY DEEPER INTO IT AS I HAD TO LEAVE STATE NEXT DAY. AS I WILL HAVE TIME TO START WORKIN ON IT AGAIN SOON I WOULD LIKE TO GET AN IDEA ON WHY IT DID THIS AND IF THERE IS A BIGGER ISSUE I NEED TO ADDRESS THAN JUST PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER.

WHILE DOWN IM GOING TO ACCOMPLISH MANY OF THE UPGRADES LISTED ON THIS SITE AS WELL AS PERSONALIZE THE BIKE TO MY OWN LIKING DOCUMENTING ON HERE ALONG THE WAY.

ANY INPUT APPRECIATED. I RESPECT THE OPINIONS OF THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE, THE TIME IVE SPENT LURKING HERE IVE REALIZED THE PEOPLE HERE ARE A GREAT GROUP OF PEOPLE.

THANKS

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: MANY PROBS NO ANSWERS
Reply #1 - 02/09/08 at 12:07:31

First of all, welcome to the site, second, please do not type in all capital letters, that is considered yelling.

Now, to your problem. My 2000 Savage did that with the same exact symptoms, when I pulled the head cover off I found that my camchain had snapped.

When you say it turns over with gusto, exactly how do you mean? When my camchain snapped and I tried to turn it over, it sounded like a dang sewing machine because the starter was only turning the crank and not the cam as well because of no chain connecting the two anymore.

Do you have a manual? That will be the first question many folks here will ask.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/09/08 at 13:22:31

Doesn't sound like he has your luck, Yonah.  That engine's toast.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 02/09/08 at 13:28:44

SAVAGESNIPER (see, I caught that)

Yep, and CAPS are hard to read, too.  Of course, there are some that never use the shift key or punctuation, but this is still hard to follow.  Kept loosing my place. Tongue

So, anyway, welcome inspite of your problem.  Can't tell you "why" it did that...Did it have enough oil?  Have you done any other work to it that we don't know about?

Does seem like you managed to Sniper that Savage though...

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 02/09/08 at 15:34:58

REPINSEGAVAS (SavageSniper?),

Doesn't sound good.  Like they said above, you are at the point where you are going to need a manual.

To answer some of the question above, Pull exhaust, and pull right side cover (Clutch /oil fliter side).  

TIP, as you get ready to remove bolts, get cardboard, draw a picture of what you are taking off, then as you take bolts off, punch them thru the cardbaord at the about the same spot on the picture.  Makes reassemboly a breeze.

Good luck.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #5 - 02/09/08 at 17:24:16

verslagen1 wrote on 02/09/08 at 13:22:31:
Doesn't sound like he has your luck, Yonah.  That engine's toast.

Yeah, after re-reading it I noticed that.

Apparently I do have some good luck. Either that or my gremlin bell works better than I thought, both times the bike broke down while riding, it was a relatively easy fix with no internal damage.

I can't believe I didn't twig to Savage Sniper, I'm usually pretty good at that kind of thing.

IP Logged
REPINSEGAVAS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

S.W. Oregon
Reply #6 - 02/09/08 at 19:37:27

First I apologize for the caps wasnt thinking about the difficulty reading.

I do have a clymers for it i have also been working on cages since i can remember so the mechanical part comes fairly easy to me. Ive owned several bikes just never had to tear any apart.

I do not believe it is the cam chain everything still turns over freely piston, cam and all, just with no comp, with no abnormal sounds which is surprising considering the dropped valve. I thought i would have heard it clunking in the cylinder.

It had plenty of oil the only work done to it since I bought it was the 3" turn out muff and two oil changes.

Its just seems odd $1200 for a 97 with 2200mi and no probs to have that serious  of a prob after an additional 5500mi put on it with no signs of probs previously.

I will be pulling head off the middle of this week to see what damage might be done internally. Im keeping my fingers crossed that it isnt too bad an I can rebuild it. Ill keep you posted on what i find.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #7 - 02/09/08 at 19:43:09

Yes, please do keep us posted, all of us here love to hear/read about other riders work on their bikes (with pics if possible).

Good luck, I hope it isn't as serious as you think it might be.

Oh, and apology accepted, everyone does that every once in a while. Many times I start typing and don't realize that my cat had stepped on my keyboard and turned on the caps lock.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 02/09/08 at 19:53:08

Hmmm, no compression, dropped valve... after muff change.

Did you rejet?  You might just have a burnt valve.

Hope you have an easy time with it, what ever it is.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #9 - 02/10/08 at 05:52:08

welcome aboard, in a worst case scenario, the cam chain tensioner popped, valves ran into piston, things got ugly after that. pull the right side cover and hope for the best. good luck, keep us advised.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 02/10/08 at 06:27:59

REPINSEGAVAS wrote on 02/09/08 at 19:37:27:
I do not believe it is the cam chain everything still turns over freely piston, cam and all, just with no comp, with no abnormal sounds which is surprising considering the dropped valve. I thought i would have heard it clunking in the cylinder.

Just have to wait until you find out what came loose before we know what caused the problem...

IP Logged
REPINSEGAVAS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

S.W. Oregon
Re: MANY PROBS NO ANSWERS (update)
Reply #11 - 02/20/08 at 10:22:26

Finally got the time home to tear into the savage and find my worst fears. Needless to say i will never again take my bike to a local yocal for an oil an filter change.

I drained the oil and found that the bike held approx a pint and a half. Im assuming the cause of all my probs had oil change done about a week before engine failure.

I removed the right side cover and the cam chain was ok the tensioner was about 7/8 out and in need of attention but had not given up. When I removed the head I found that I had indeed dropped the head of one of the exhaust valves which was lodged (on edge) half way through the  piston.

I also found that the head had been severally damaged with a gouge from the valve located at the top rim of the exhaust seats approx. 1/4 inch deep (OUCH).

Fortunately the cylinder came through the whole experience unscathed. Now since the bike is completely disassembled it will not be even close to stock after reassembly. I have currently found all the parts I need for reassembly except a place to scrounge up a replacement head.

If you know of a good place to scrounge up a head at a reasonable price please let me know. My savage is screaming at me to be back on the road.

I will be posting updates an pics of the reassembly, I have many ideas that i can now implement during the resurrection of my faithful steed.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 02/20/08 at 11:23:17

There was a set on ebay just yesterday.

Almost $200 for head and cover.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 02/20/08 at 13:46:43

Since you need to remove the cylinder to get the piston out, remember to get the cylinder wall honed.   And, take the new piston with you so they can check clearences.   It's a farily tight fit.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 02/20/08 at 16:43:20

Lancer has cams that add some OOOmph.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:17:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › MANY PROBS NO ANSWERS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.