jjester
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Idaho
Buying a 05 S40
02/06/08 at 20:12:47

My Daughter is buying an 05 S40

I myself have a C50T wich is a water cooled v-twin, This will be her first bike and my first experince with an air cooled one lunger.  Will she be able to take 100-200 mile road trips at freeway speeds? And what are some of the tricks to keeping the engine cool?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Buying a 05 S40
Reply #1 - 02/06/08 at 20:23:53

Finish the recommended break in period of 500 miles, then change over from dino oil to a good name brand synthetic oil of 10-40w to 15-50w.  

This assures minimal future wear to the properly broken in engine and a rather complete resistance to overheating from all causes including road stress.  

Our engines don't get all that hot to begin, especially after we read up and perform the carburetor white spacer mod and the appropriate adjustment of the air screw (see Search function or just read through all the topics in the Tech section for details).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 02/07/08 at 06:45:24

jjester wrote on 02/06/08 at 20:12:47:
 Will she be able to take 100-200 mile road trips at freeway speeds?
As long as she is content to ride with the traffic rather than zipping past at triple digit speeds.  A windscreen makes steady 65-70 rather enjoyable.  Others report movement from wind gusts, I hardly ever noticed.

WWW   IP Logged
jjester
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Idaho
Reply #3 - 02/07/08 at 10:32:46

Thanks guys

will let her know that she will be fine taking it on some road trips.
She was wanting to ad a wind screen and saddle bags.
Good sugestions to find bolt-on aplications with out modifacations?

Also there is a small oil leak around air cleaner housing I havent had a chance to check it out yet but whqat are some of the known causes for this as it only has 6200 miles on the bike?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 02/07/08 at 11:21:06

Air cleaner is located behind right side sheet metal cover.   The air box is actually under the seat.

So,  can you get a picture of the leak ?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #5 - 02/07/08 at 11:41:20

jjester wrote on 02/07/08 at 10:32:46:
...She was wanting to ad a wind screen and saddle bags.  Good sugestions to find bolt-on aplications with out modifacations?...
I'm a minimalist.  I have a National Cycle FlyScreen -- takes wind pressure off the body, leaves full wind in face, goggles required.  Insufficient for freeway against 30-40 mph headwinds.

I also have a National Cycle Street Shield.  It served well on tour, sunglasses sufficed in lieu of goggles.  Only time I needed the goggles was in a 40 mph cross wind as the protection area moved 12 inches to the side.   It is still small enough not to detract seriously.

Either mounts/dismounts in a few minutes.

Luggage options are limitless.  Saddlebags under or over the seat, small or large enough to require moving the turn signals, leather or plastic.  Hardbags of whatever you can fabricate brackets for, or my LeatherLyke bags (which aren't listed for the S40 but will fit maybe requiring the sissybar fenderrails.)  In L.A. I need to be able to lock my saddlebags.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 02/07/08 at 12:08:29

Also there is a small oil leak around air cleaner housing I havent had a chance to check it out yet but whqat are some of the known causes for this as it only has 6200 miles on the bike?

Oil leak around the air cleaner?
I guessing you got a spot under the bike.

1st check the air box drain tube under the bike, should be hanging down a bit.  There's a plug, pull it out and some oil/gas/water will come out.  If there's alot of gas, check the petcork and carb for proper operation.

2nd speedo cable seal.  this little bugger gets lost more often than not.  And you can't just buy another.  Suitable replacement is an O-ring.  This leak is visible on the right side if you got it.

3rd starter seal.  this can be damaged when the starter is removed and replaced.  This leak drains out from around the primary drive pulley under the bike so it's not obvious.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 02/08/08 at 11:25:58

She was wanting to ad a wind screen and saddle bags.
Good sugestions to find bolt-on aplications with out modifacations?

Most throw-over bags will work.. Willie & Max make some that seem to last a long time.  I have a National Cycle Dakota windshield on mine and I like it a lot.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
jjester
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Idaho
Reply #8 - 02/09/08 at 21:29:51

My Daughter & I just picked up her s40 today  It is compleatly stock with 6200 miles on it . It sem pretty doggy on accel. is that nomal also leaking oil out around air cleaner area so i pulled airfilter out to find housing clear full of oil.   It apears as though it might be overfull on oil so will change oil on monday but if still has problem has anyone else see this?   Lips Sealed

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 02/09/08 at 22:12:22

That's a real good idea to change the oil.

Oil does get in the air box via the breather hose, but for it to be full? very unusual.

Check the oil in crankcase for a gassy smell.  If you got a leaky petcock gas can flow into the crankcase a couple of ways.

If the diaphram is busted, it can flow down the vac line to the carb and then into the cylinder then pass the rings.

Or, if it is a bad needle valve, flood the carb, into cylinder, etc.

You need to check all.

Or the dam mechanic's trainee just put in 4 qt's when only 2 were needed.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #10 - 02/10/08 at 05:06:35

jjester wrote on 02/09/08 at 21:29:51:
.... It sem pretty doggy on accel....

Subjective, depending on what you are used to.  But mine will easily be doing 40 mph inside of 200 feet.  (I have a MAC muffler and I don't know what the P.O. did to the carb but it runs jes' fine)

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 02/10/08 at 11:26:11

Paladin. wrote on 02/10/08 at 05:06:35:
.... It sem pretty doggy on accel....

Subjective, depending on what you are used to.  But mine will easily be doing 40 mph inside of 200 feet.  (I have a MAC muffler and I don't know what the P.O. did to the carb but it runs jes' fine)

Some folks seem to need 200 in 40 feet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #12 - 02/10/08 at 11:52:27

For those who insist on the most horsepower:

Boss Hoss stopped production of the 502cid/502hp model... get the very last one:
http://www.bosshosscycles.com/showbike.php?bikeID=221

Otherwise, a couple miles south ( http://www.californiabosshoss.com/ ) of me, I can pick up a used '05 Boss Hoss 350cid/415hp for only $35K.

Personally, I'll give up a little for easy of handling.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 02/10/08 at 17:24:31

Twist the grip, watch it flip. The torque would be very dangerous.
Somehow that just seems counter to my idea of what a bike is sposed to be. I DO wish someone would give me one, I would sell it without ever starting it & buy a few things I want.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #14 - 02/10/08 at 18:47:20

My Daughter & I just picked up her s40 today  It is compleatly stock with 6200 miles on it . It sem pretty doggy on accel. is that nomal also leaking oil out around air cleaner area so i pulled airfilter out to find housing clear full of oil.   It apears as though it might be overfull on oil so will change oil on monday but if still has problem has anyone else see this?   Lips Sealed

That much oil in the Air box is not normal.  

Taking a guess here,.....your thought that one of possible problems could be that the oil may have been over filled may be right.  The oil level sight glass is checked with bike level.  If someone was unfamiliar with this, and they changed the oil and filled it with bike tilted (just on kickstand w/o a block under), then you might get oil here, there and everywhere.

EDIT:  And if you had that much oil in the air box,  it might dog out. with a clogged filter.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:31:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buying a 05 S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.