Buying a 05 S40 (Read 350 times)
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Re: Buying a 05 S40
Reply #15 - 02/11/08 at 08:16:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/10/08 at 17:24:31:
Twist the grip, watch it flip. The torque would be very dangerous. .
Not necessarily.  If you include rider weight and fuel, that Boss Hoss has 502bhp for 1560lb, while my sports bike has 250hp for 682lb - about 14% more per lb than the Boss Hoss.  It will rotate in third off the throttle at 120, and you'd be on your backside in the blink of an eye if you give it a fistful in first, but it's very controllable as long as you don't do anything foolish.

I guess it would be dangerous if you gave a Boss to a complete novice or some young kid who doesn't know his limits, but powerful machines don't have to be dangerous.
I know some people struggle to deal with 30hp, but excess power is just beautiful to ride because you don't have to wring the motor's neck to get past things; it's always just a gentle roll of the throttle and you pass anything smoothly, safely and relaxed.  

Back to the original thread, Jjester might find the Savage's stock acceleration dodgy because he's used to bikes with more grunt.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
jjester
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Idaho
Reply #16 - 02/12/08 at 09:49:43

After changing oil and cleaning out oil soaked air filter (the dealer doesn't even stock an airfilter) the bike runs better.

there is a plug in the end of the vent hose from the aircleaner housing should that stay there or remove it and leave it out?   Undecided

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #17 - 02/12/08 at 09:56:40

It's worth checking whether it's a full solid plug - it may be hollow, just reducing the diameter of the breather.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #18 - 02/12/08 at 10:01:54

jjester wrote on 02/12/08 at 09:49:43:
After changing oil and cleaning out oil soaked air filter (the dealer doesn't even stock an airfilter) the bike runs better.

there is a plug in the end of the vent hose from the aircleaner housing should that stay there or remove it and leave it out?   Undecided

that's an oil drain for the air box - should pull the plug at oil changes and drain it -

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #19 - 02/12/08 at 11:50:11

Plug stays, if I recall correctly it's on the "clean air" side of the filter.  But.... if I were you, I would check it weekly for a while.

You may also want to change the sparkplug and run a fuel treatment (cleaner) thru the tank (STP??).

Was the oil over filled?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 02/13/08 at 07:47:06

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 02/12/08 at 11:50:11:

Plug stays, if I recall correctly it's on the "clean air" side of the filter.  But.... if I were you, I would check it weekly for a while.

You may also want to change the sparkplug and run a fuel treatment (cleaner) thru the tank (STP??).

Was the oil over filled?

Yup, plug should stay.  Otherwise, you suck road yuck in the clean side (after the air filter)... basically right into the carb.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:28:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buying a 05 S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.