Send Topic Print
CAN'T START (Read 344 times)
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Re: CAN'T START
Reply #15 - 02/05/08 at 16:12:51

How old is the fuel? Is there any water in it? I would try draining that fuel and putting fresh fuel in and maybe even try a different gas station than before.

JakeB

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #16 - 02/05/08 at 16:13:47

Savage_Greg wrote on 02/05/08 at 15:41:05:
Did you check the level in the bowl?  Did you drain the bowl?

That's the first thing I would do. Drain the carb bowl repeatedly. The gas in the bowl will go stale far quicker than the gas in your tank. Ethanol laced gas is even worse from what I've seen. There's a convenient screw on the bottom of the bowl for draining. If you find no gas in the bowl, suspect your petc0ck. If you have gasoline in the vacuum line to the petc0ck, it's likely failing.

Put 2 or 3 ounces of SeaFoam carb cleaner in your gas tank - it will help.

Don't use much of that ether starting fluid. It is VERY HARD on your motor.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 02/05/08 at 19:26:08

How does it start 1 hour after shutting off after a ride? How about 4 hours after a ride? I say a ride, not a start & idle, I mean, full operating temp, then shut off, allow to cool, restart. Start easy? Are you letting it sit for days between runs? If so, set the petcork on PRI, note the arrow on the lever.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 02/05/08 at 21:14:44

Remember KISS Smiley

IP Logged
Black Betty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/06/08 at 10:11:01

Thanks everybody - all very useful.  I need to get someone round here (my bike lives in my front room - so being cold isn't really the problem).  Yes I know not to use the easy start much as engines get addicted.

Cheers - keep your suggestions coming just in case all of the above fail!  (hopefully not!) Smiley

Yes I remember Kiss.  I'm an old lady ha ha!

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #20 - 02/06/08 at 17:23:41

I suspect the problem is between the seat and handlebars. When was the last time you bought an airfilter? I'm just sayin......

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 02/07/08 at 05:05:53

That's simple enough  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #22 - 02/07/08 at 09:48:08

Just a tag note about using "starter fluid" type spray in your carb. I highly recommend staying away from the ether based stuff that was originally meant for starting high compression diesel engines. It can be REALLY bad for a low compression engine like the Savage.

Instead, I recommend using WD-40 as a starter fluid. It burns good enough to make engines start easy, and lubes some too as it goes through. I've used the WD-40 on everything from lawnmower engines up to a Ford 460 V-8 with good results and no damage. Much less dangerous to use that low flash point ether too.  

Edit: Now after having given this advice, I've though about it again. And question the use of WD-40 in a vacuum actuated slide carb; because of the potential for leaving undesirable contaminants on the slide; which should be kept perfectly clean! Discussion?? ? ?  Undecided

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 02/07/08 at 15:53:36

Rockin_John wrote on 02/07/08 at 09:48:08:
Just a tag note about using "starter fluid" type spray in your carb. I highly recommend staying away from the ether based stuff that was originally meant for starting high compression diesel engines. It can be REALLY bad for a low compression engine like the Savage.

Instead, I recommend using WD-40 as a starter fluid. It burns good enough to make engines start easy, and lubes some too as it goes through. I've used the WD-40 on everything from lawnmower engines up to a Ford 460 V-8 with good results and no damage. Much less dangerous to use that low flash point ether too.  

Edit: Now after having given this advice, I've though about it again. And question the use of WD-40 in a vacuum actuated slide carb; because of the potential for leaving undesirable contaminants on the slide; which should be kept perfectly clean! Discussion?? ? ?  Undecided

Sure.

1 - I've never tried WD40 that way, and didn't really know it worked.

2 - I agree about the slide.

IP Logged
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 02/08/08 at 10:16:46

I have onlu used the Starter spray on a car that was left standing, with a mechanical fuel pump.

The Problem was that the fuel had drained/evaporated and the engine would not turn over fast enough to pump up the petrol.

Solution either take out trhe plugs to lopse compression and wind it for 30 seconds or use the spray, the spray worked a treat, engine fired and turned over fast enough to pump up the petrol.

Now if you have to do something like this to start every time, something is wrong and needs to be sorted.

I have heard it described that the engine gets "used to it" if you use it too much, but I cant see how an engine can get "addicted", but I can see that you will possible dry the head out of oil etc, and do damage, also I am not sure what would happen to the piston rings with prolonged use.

As for the original problem, has it been tried yet in Prime?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 02/08/08 at 13:06:48

Lazy Old Rider wrote on 02/08/08 at 10:16:46:
I have onlu used the Starter spray on a car that was left standing, with a mechanical fuel pump.

The Problem was that the fuel had drained/evaporated and the engine would not turn over fast enough to pump up the petrol.

Solution either take out trhe plugs to lopse compression and wind it for 30 seconds or use the spray, the spray worked a treat, engine fired and turned over fast enough to pump up the petrol.

Now if you have to do something like this to start every time, something is wrong and needs to be sorted.

I have heard it described that the engine gets "used to it" if you use it too much, but I cant see how an engine can get "addicted", but I can see that you will possible dry the head out of oil etc, and do damage, also I am not sure what would happen to the piston rings with prolonged use.

As for the original problem, has it been tried yet in Prime?

Sounds more like the owner gets addicted, to me.  I don't think the carb spray is intended to cure what ails the car.  It eventually needs to see a doctor.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:29:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › CAN'T START

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.