Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Who moved my cheese, er... speedometer? (Read 426 times)
jk
Ex Member

Who moved my cheese, er... speedometer?
02/04/08 at 15:57:49

I'm moving my speedo up the handlebars and I'm looking for a longer cable. I did a search here, for "speedometer cable" but could only find a reference to a tach cable of an older Suzuki GT 750 triple. Any one have any idea what year I should look at? Or other solutions? Thanks!

IP Logged
jk
Ex Member

Re: Who moved my cheese, er... speedometer?
Reply #1 - 02/04/08 at 16:11:37

According to BikeBandit, the tach cables for a GT750 have the same part number from 1972 to 1977. It's only fifteen bucks. I'll try eBay as well...

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 02/04/08 at 21:31:04

I moved mine up to the handle bars last year. I changed to a Harley tank but wanted to keep the old speedo as I knew how much it was off and wanted to keep track of the real miles on the bike. I'm not sure of the model number but I picked up the tach cable from a Suzuki 3-cyl at a bike pre-owned-laying-on-the-ground parts emporium for somewhere around $10.00. The local dealer who couldn't tell a bass from his (well, you know) was less than no help, but the yard dog at this bike salvage place just had me hop on the golf cart and took me right to what I needed. If you have any doubts about it take your old cable to make sure the ends are a match. Just make sure to pull the cable out, wipe it down good, do the slush-pump thing with oil on a rag to clean out the cable housing and lube with whatever motor oil you use in the bike. I do the synth oil thing so I'm sure there'll never be a problem. I re-new the cable oiling every year or so.

As a side note, if you want to save some bucks, instead of spending $30-$50 for a housing from an auto parts store you can do what I did. I took a PVC pipe coupling fitting and rough sanded it so the plastic type paint would stick to it nicely. The tach from our bikes fits in it almost perfectly. perfectly when you add a few layers of duct tape around it. There's a few more steps involved in the process and it's all written up here somewhere on this site from when I did the job. there's hints on what I did to keep the original lights, making a back protective cap and mounting it to the bars.

jazzcarter's 2000 Suzuki Savage

Jack

« Last Edit: 02/05/08 at 07:09:05 by Savage_Rob »  
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 02/05/08 at 16:37:23

With a tank that big on the back shouldn't you have flammable placards on there and a hazmat license? GrinNow that's a gastank. Cool

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
rocky
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 02/05/08 at 17:21:34

What Harley tank did you get to work?

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 02/05/08 at 20:17:52

The front tank is a five gallon one piece from a Harley softtail that I picked up with a dent in it from a Harley shop for $50.00. It was an insurance take-off. The whole process of the change over is written up on here somewhere.

The tank on the back is a four gallon aluminum tour tank from a company that makes a few different versions AND will make them to just about any capacity you want. If I have to I can go well over 400 miles before having to find a gas station. Makes it easier to shop for the two cent saving on down the road.

Jack

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 02/05/08 at 21:20:48

Man, that's a cool tank setup (I know, I read about it before)...

But did you find the cheese?

Grin

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #7 - 02/06/08 at 01:05:49

That rear tank looks great, but if it came within a mile of a traffic cop in the UK you'd be arrested and the bike impounded!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 02/06/08 at 07:46:28

why? - because of the placement ?

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/06/08 at 08:37:48

Reelthing wrote on 02/06/08 at 07:46:28:
why? - because of the placement ?
Our 'design and use' vehicle regulations are pretty stiff.  We're even limited to the size of fuel can we can keep in a garage at home.

A traffic cop would go ape over dangerous placement/insecurity of that fuel tank.  it may be strapped down, but it doesn't look like it would stay connected to the bike long if there were an impact, so you'd have a leaking gas tank rolling round the accident scene.
I'm sure it does the job and it's been well fitted - but not to whatever government or industry-approved standard is required for type aproval.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea and I for one would happily strap something like that on if I were going touring round some remote region.

Think back to the massive punitive damages that were awarded against one of the motor manufacturers in the States a few years ago when a pick up truck’s tank exploded after side impact from a car – that woke the industry up a little in terms of fuel tank safety, and the law as well.

I suspect an enthusiastic cop your side of the pond could be just as interested in that tank!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 02/06/08 at 09:33:54

Seems difficult to be cordial, so be it.

We sure are pleased someone finally came to tell us the errors of our ways no idea how we managed to survive this long in our state of ignorance.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/06/08 at 09:40:55

Reelthing wrote on 02/06/08 at 09:33:54:

We sure are pleased someone finally came to tell us the errors of our ways no idea how we managed to survive this long in our state of ignorance.
Easy tiger - I said "I think it looks great".  I said "I think it's a great idea and I for one would happily strap something like that on if I were going touring round some remote region".

I just suggested it might not please a traffic cop, that's all!

No offence intended.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #12 - 02/06/08 at 15:24:15

KwakNut wrote on 02/06/08 at 09:40:55:
Reelthing wrote on 02/06/08 at 09:33:54:

Easy tiger - I said "I think it looks great".  I said "I think it's a great idea and I for one would happily strap something like that on if I were going touring round some remote region".

I just suggested it might not please a traffic cop, that's all!

No offence intended.

No offence, but it looks to be better attached than the couple of bolts that hold the stock tank in place!  Besides, I think he's put enough miles on to have one or two police notice it.  We're not as stringent as you...we are just "sue happy" is all.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Re: in Germany (and other EU countries)
Reply #13 - 02/06/08 at 17:14:03

Quote:
That rear tank looks great, but if it came within a mile of a traffic cop in the UK you'd be arrested and the bike impounded!

Yes that bike is awesome.
Smiley
In Germany, where I used to live and are going back to soon enough, there would probably be a bit more tolerance from the cops side, BUT you would have to remove it every year before taking your bike to the government's "TUV" check-up that certifies yearly your vehicles roadworthiness (since theoretically you are  not supposed to do any  unauthorized modificatios to any vehicle by yourself) OR in the case of an accident your insurance could be invalidated.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 02/06/08 at 20:59:41

Oh my, what have I done here? I guess a  little anecdotal info might help calm the waters here.

The rear tank is sold in this country by a company that sells a lot of them. Their mounting straps are 1/4" steel held onto the bike by four bolts, usually to a luggage rack. In my case those four bolts go through a sheet of 1/4" steel that's bolted very securely through my stock solid steel sissy bar. I don't want to test it, but the site of the company that makes and sells these tanks has comments from folks who have flipped their bikes with these tanks on them and they've stayed attached and spill-proof. Got to be better than those PVC tanks those lads use just sitting on their four wheel off road toys.

I can attest to the fact that when my bike was lying on it's right side after a semi blew it over on the gravel shoulder of a country road the stock tank leaked a lot more gas from around it's cap than the tank on the back did. The aux tank can be had with an internal splash baffle and an over-flow catch tank so as to be legal in CA.

As for a  rear end ramming caused explosions, I guess if I'm hit that hard, I doubt I'll be the one worrying about a fire. But as stated above, I don't think the tank is going anywhere without the bike still attached. and it's way sturdier than the thin sheet metal of the stock tank on this bike. The Harley tank on front is stronger than stock on this bike as well.

Now, as to the state by state legal issues, I've not gone around and asked the various local constabularies as to their local ordinances. I have ridden in and through around 2/3 of the eastern half of the country with nary a second glance from the police, even when I was passing them on the big slabs. I think if anyone would be interested in pulling me over Georgia, Alabama or Florida would have been all over me like stink on doo-doo. If I get it together enough for the trip I want to do next summer I'll let you know about California.

Bottom line for me is that I've never given any thought to the idea that that back tank would come off, rupture or be anymore dangerous than carrying a quart of gas in an aluminum container in a saddle bag. I put it on to stay and trust me it's not going anywhere easily. The tank sits high enough that it'll go on top of pretty much any hood should I get hit. And if somebody doesn't see that big honkin' red oval light on the tank then I'll have the painful pleasure of knowing they were in the wrong.

A little facetious on the light thing, but if we want to ride we take some chances. We prepare the best we can and (at least most of us) obey the laws. And at least here in MN my buddy the police chief hasn't told me I should take it off. Of course he's a Gold Winger and only knows comfort anyway.

Straddle the saddle and keep on pedaling,

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:17:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Who moved my cheese, er... speedometer?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.