Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Who moved my cheese, er... speedometer? (Read 426 times)
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Re: Who moved my cheese, er... speedometer?
Reply #15 - 02/07/08 at 04:06:57

Sounds like sense to me Jack - I just wish we had the freedom to do that sort of thing in the UK.

We have Police pulling you over to check whether your exhaust silencer has a steet legal stamp, or if your helmet visor is within an approved range of tint shading, and we can't wear any of the cool and comfortable cruiser-style helmets because they don't meet our nanny-state safety regs, so everybody has to wear a great big race-approved helmet.

They'll even pull you over to measure the height of the letters on your license plate on a bike, because the standard issue plates are so big they look silly on most bikes, and half of all motorcyclists have a smaller one made.

It's all very well my government being obsessed with safety (blame the fools who signed us up for the European Union) but I'd much rather be riding a bike with an add-on tank wearing just sandals and a pair of shades.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
jk
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 02/07/08 at 04:35:51

I'm sure a tank like that would come in handy during my trip this May...

As to the speedo cable- I've found a half dozen online that might work- these guys took really good pictures of the connectors and what not, but they left off the length of the cable. They must not want to sell them that badly, 'cause not a single one of them has responded to my emailed queries.  Angry And the bone yards 'round here have very slim pickin's (or are just plain clueless) Frustratin'.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #17 - 02/07/08 at 09:37:53

The less than alive-in-the-head Suzuki dealer here in town was going to order me a new cable but couldn't/wouldn/t tell me the length. In fact he wouldn't even tell me the price, but since it was to be a special order item I wouldn't even be able to take it back if it didn't work.

One thing I did try was to modify a version of a Honda (of some kind I think) cable. The end that goes into the tranny is a round plug about 1/2" long with a slot in it. I soldered a small washer into the slot and used a grinder to get the shape right to duplicate the shape of the "bumps" on the tranny end of the stock cable. The speedo end of the cables seems to be pretty standard. Then I had to cut the cable housing off and splice the Suzuki bottom of the outer sleeve (to keep the fitting that screws onto the transmission) and the Honda top together to cover the cable for it's full length. I'm pretty sure the industrial tape and clamped on fitting at the join would have kept everything intact over the long haul, but the fella at the yard with the go-cart let me end up with a more elegant solution when he took me to the Suzi-que 3 cyl. tach cable. Important either way is to clean the inner cable and pathway and to keep it lubed with oil, the same you use in the motor is just fine.

If all else fails, let me know and I can check at the yard here. It's a fair piece up the road, but I go that way from time to time. Back then they had three or four of those bikes rusting in the rain with cables still attached.

Jack

IP Logged
jk
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 02/07/08 at 17:18:17

Thanks for the offer Jack! I appreciate it. However, I found one this afternoon! Huzzah! 43" tach cable off of a GT250 or something... I forget. I'm supposed to be QCing some Boomerang packages right now... Yogi Bear ain't gonna watch himself.  Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 02/08/08 at 05:18:59

Did we find the cheese yet?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
bsdnfraje

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 02/08/08 at 10:17:42

(buuuuurp)

Nope, still looking.  I don't think anyone checked waaaaay over there...

IP Logged
jk
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 02/08/08 at 18:40:06

Want some coffee?

Ha! It's not coffee...

Newly relocated speedo...

Just needs some paint and a cable. I bought one off of fleaBay, but the guy hasn't sent me the invoice for shipping yet...  Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 02/08/08 at 19:03:04

That'll be a cup of joe that really wakes you up!

WWW   IP Logged
bsdnfraje

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 02/08/08 at 19:09:31

That speedo is too cool for preschool

IP Logged
jk
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 02/08/08 at 19:44:36

The stock speedo fits right in there, pretty tight. With the rubber gasket, the seal  was d@mn near airtight before I cut the can. I may just paint it, or I may wrap it with some polished sheet aluminum.

Probably just blast it and paint it.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #25 - 02/08/08 at 19:55:29

What kind of clamp did you use to mount it to the bars and how did you attach it to the can?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
jk
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 02/09/08 at 04:37:02

I used a one inch rubber insulated clamp, like for mounting conduit. I just drilled a hole in the can, used a 1/4-20 by 1/2" nut and bolt and some washers to connect it all together. I still need to drill the hole for the cable to go through. Can't really do that until I get the cable, but the way I'll do it is to cut a slot in the two halves and when they're pressed together- a round hole. I'll put a rubber grommet around the cable (and wire for the light) I'll probably go back during final assembly and use a larger diameter washer, solder it to the can- to reinforce the hole.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:18:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Who moved my cheese, er... speedometer?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.