Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Nice day for a ride...if she would quit stalling! (Read 567 times)
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Re: Nice day for a ride...if she would quit stalli
Reply #30 - 07/08/08 at 18:21:39

I tried adjusting the screw but honestly I couldn't hear a difference in RPMs. So I went with the "adjust till it's fixed" method. I gunned the throttle and let it snap back. Where it was originally, the rpms dropped to where the bike almost stalled. I leaned out the mix until that went away. I kept turning clockwise until I got a backfire, then backed it up between those two points. After a 20 minute stop & go ride in 95-degree heat, no more stalling. I'll see how it goes on the commute tomorrow.

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #31 - 07/09/08 at 06:36:57

meck wrote on 07/08/08 at 18:21:39:
I tried adjusting the screw but honestly I couldn't hear a difference in RPMs. So I went with the "adjust till it's fixed" method. I gunned the throttle and let it snap back. Where it was originally, the rpms dropped to where the bike almost stalled. I leaned out the mix until that went away. I kept turning clockwise until I got a backfire, then backed it up between those two points. After a 20 minute stop & go ride in 95-degree heat, no more stalling. I'll see how it goes on the commute tomorrow.

Throw a new sparkplug in and check it after a tank of gas.   Should be tan, white is too lean, black is rich....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #32 - 07/16/08 at 13:54:19

It was working fine for a few days, then the stalling came back. Generally it is after I am holding the throttle at constant speed for a while, then slow down eventually to a stop. I have already bumped up the idle speed with no effect. I replaced the vac line from petcock to carb and it seemed much better, even after a longer ride. Then today I was riding about 8 miles at a constant 40mph. When I went to slow down for a turn, the engine bogged way down, nearly to a stall, then a HUUUUUGE KAPOW backfire, then it stalled. This happens with the petcock on ON and on PRI. I went back and tried to readjust my idle speed and my idle mix, but I haven't gone riding again yet. Any other suggestions? I am supposed to be making a longish (60 mile highway speed) run tomorrow afternoon so it's getting to be crunch time.

BTW, it does seem to be much worse in hot weather. Last night after I replaced the vac line it was about 75 degrees... now it is around 95.

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
mentaka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Wales GB
Reply #33 - 07/20/08 at 16:26:03

Hello,
Dont know if your still keeping trake of your post but i gotta suggestion for you.
Cant say this is gonna be the problem or even work but fingers crossed it seems to have done the trick for me for now as i was having exact same problem.
Breather tube.
Take bung off and empty it.
Sounds simple and maybe a little stupid but ive been having same problem as you on and off for about 6 mths. One day decided it was time to check breather tube and empty it if needed and like i said so far so good.
Hope this helps.

IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #34 - 07/21/08 at 08:27:38

Do you mean the blow-by tube from the engine to the air box? There was nothing in there. Or, did you mean the capped drain tube under the air box? That is empty as well...

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
mentaka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Wales GB
Reply #35 - 07/21/08 at 10:35:52

It was the breather tube with the cap. Shame that didnt work, as i said it seems to have done the job for me.

IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #36 - 07/24/08 at 08:22:33

Looks like I found it... it was the petcock. I had the thing apart and the diaphram looked good - I gave a little suction on the vac port and didn't feel any leaks so I figured I was good. The fact that she was still stalling and bogging while on PRI also threw me. I took the petcock off again, did the mod to manual and it's nice and smooth now.

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 01:16:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Nice day for a ride...if she would quit stalling!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.