Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Savage reliability compared to Triunph/BSA/Norton? (Read 1467 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Savage reliability compared to Triunph/BSA/Nor
Reply #75 - 02/05/08 at 10:09:43

Certainly, when one considers what I've designed to give us a piece of mind regarding the cam chain.  It wouldn't have cost 'zuki a dollar (or a hundred yen as the case may be) to fix it in the same maner.  By designing in a flaw, do they gaurranty their dealers an income?  Certainly a few dollars more and their wouldn't be a problem at all.

But this is a low cost bike.  You get what you pay for don't you?

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #76 - 02/05/08 at 10:38:15

kwaknut I think you like high rpm bikes Maybe thats the in thing in england because their cars are buzzy too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bsdnfraje

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #77 - 02/05/08 at 10:52:03

Howdy Fellas,

This has been an eye opening thread.  I still want a Savage though.  Sounds like it is perfect for city commuting, which is what I need.  Plus, I really dig thumpers.

But what we are likely to do if you start reading from the Quran in St. Peter's Square during Easter is giggle and move on.  As long as you aren't interrupting Benedict.  We actually want to hear what he has to say.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #78 - 02/05/08 at 10:53:24

The whole problem, Kwaknut is your attitude and the way you present yourself.

You have alot of gall to join a fan-based forum and from the start, verbally run down the bike that we all share and love and treat us as if we're all a bunch of uneducated half-wits....

What you have said over and over is if we're satisfied with our Savages, then we're deluding ourselves.  Well sir, there you are wrong.

The Savage may not have enough power to suit your needs, but I find it meets mine admirably.  You may feel that the Savage handles like an old lady in a wheel chair, yet I am quite satisfied with the way that it rides.  You may feel that it brakes like a school bus, which again, is fine for you.  I on the otherhand am perfectly satisfied with the braking performance of the bike.  That's right, KwakNut.  I am VERY HAPPY with the performance handling and braking of my Savage!  It meets ALL of my needs and is fun to ride.  (Did I actually just say that it's fun???? *Gasp. I'm so deluded!)

Not everyone LIKES sport bikes (crotch rockets).  Personally, I hate them.  I think the people who ride them are testosterone deprived ignorant a$$holes who are trying to make up for the fact that they were born with no peni$....... But hey, that's just my OPINION.   I'm stating it AS AN OPINION.  Not like you...  

So, unless you wish to discuss the POSITIVES about the Savage with us, instead of preaching down to us ignorant huddled masses about just how dumb we are, then I invite you to take your OPINIONS elsewhere....

(You are first in line for the Troll label for 2008.  Congratulations.!)

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #79 - 02/05/08 at 11:14:21

verslagen1 wrote on 02/05/08 at 10:09:43:
Certainly, when one considers what I've designed to give us a piece of mind regarding the cam chain.  It wouldn't have cost 'zuki a dollar (or a hundred yen as the case may be) to fix it in the same maner.  By designing in a flaw, do they gaurranty their dealers an income?  Certainly a few dollars more and their wouldn't be a problem at all.

But this is a low cost bike.  You get what you pay for don't you?

after these number of years the bike is likely cost reduced to the maximum - but I'm sure they're given stretch goals like most in manufact to milk the last penny out of the process and find another penny or two next month

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #80 - 02/05/08 at 11:53:00

KwakNut, it seems to me that you are trying to compare the Savage/S40 with a sport bike and finding the Savage wanting. Of course that will be the case as they are two different animals. The sport bikes are designed for high speed but low torque, while the Savage is designed for moderate speed and high torque. The Savage is a cruiser, the sport bike is a street legal racing machine.

Now I have nothing against the sport bike except the riding position and most of the idiots I have seen riding them. But to compare the performance, handling, and braking of a sport bike with that of a cruiser is like comparing a Lamborghini with a Lincoln Town Car. Both machines have there merits and flaws but both perform admirably for what they are designed for.

Yes, we all like to tweak are machines to get just that much more out of them, but left alone, the Savage does perform well within it's design specifications.

Suzuki must have done something right to be able to build and sell the Savage almost completely unchanged for over twenty years and still make a profit off of this bike.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #81 - 02/05/08 at 13:20:51

KwakNut wrote on 02/04/08 at 08:20:22:
[Wow – why do some of you guys respond to criticism of a motorcycle as though I’m saying bad things about your mother’s virtue?

because you are....... lol  Grin  for some her the love of our machine is much like the love we have for our mother.

people here are really really attached to the machine, quirks and all. it is like you are insulting the mother.  i've yet to meet a group of people more loyal to their machines than savage owners.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Dark Savage
YaBB Newbies

Austin, TX
Reply #82 - 02/05/08 at 13:49:14

KwakNut wrote on 02/05/08 at 09:54:20:
Dark Savage wrote on 02/05/08 at 07:18:28:
Instead, you posted an exaggerated view without any kind of perspective for people to know you were exaggerating.  . . . . . .You said "Compared to most other modern Japanese bikes the LS is flawed - it's unbelievably slow, handles like a croc, doesn't stop, has a major problem with the cam chain tensioner falling out before the chain reaches service limit, and has typically dubious Suzuki quality issues on surface finish." Lets analyze this.
I didn’t exaggerate, my opinions were entirely fact-based and the product of experience of an awful lot of different bikes that I can compare with.  I’ll add to your comments:

A. All bikes have design flaws, of course  – but not many will eat hard metal and wreck the motor at 15000 miles because of a tensioner design fault.

B. You actually state that the Savage ‘accelerates quicker at non-highway speeds than a large portion of cars on the road’, from which I have to infer that you agree it also accelerates slower than a portion of cars on the road.   That’s just so bad!  Except for supercars, no car should be faster accelerating than a full-sized bike - that’s just plain embarrassing!!
Like it or not it IS a very slow bike – people counter that statement by saying it can travel at highway speed.  Is that supposed to be impressive, being able to hit 75 or 80 on a 650cc bike? A couple of mph faster than an old Panther, made in about 1950 and about the same size single cylinder - and 25mph slower than a Virago 535!!
I just find it amazing that anybody can own a 650cc road bike that can only hit maybe 80mph and claim its powerful.  
On an earlier thread about the Savage’s power on poor soul described it as ‘massively over-powered’ compared to 250cc cruisers.  Well,it would be.  
I guess I could describe my old lady as an awesome cage fighter if I compare her to next door’s 2-year old child.  It's all relative.

C. The handling is okay if you want woolly, imprecise handling and can't push the bike hard enough to feel flex in the poor frame, forks and shocks.  I can live with that kind of setup on a cute little bike like the Savage, because my use for it will be slow town riding, but I would not try to convince myself – or anybody else – that the Savage handles well.  It’s very limited bike in terms of handling, unless you compare it to some barge of a big soft-sprung heavy cruiser.

D. Yes, it stops and meets build standards for stopping.  I would even agree that it stops faster than you could manage by dragging your boots on the ground, or an old vintage bike with tiny drums.  Big deal – it still needs better brakes.  Guess some people are only used to poor brakes and happy with them.

E. ‘Some design issues’!!  That’s a great way to describe a problem which prematurely toast the motor.  You a politician??

F. As I said perfectly clearly, finish is a Suzuki problem far from unique to the Savage.

I’ll stand by the statement that people buy a different bike if what they want is performance – the Savage is a cute little thing but it’s a low-grade performer.  Even 500cc budget twins like the Honda CB500, Kawasaki EN500, Suzuki GS500 out-perform the Savage in terms of power, brakes and handling (57bhp/115mph for the CB) – and they’re made for learners to cut their teeth on before they move on to a proper bike.  
The Virago 535 must be about the closest competitor and runs rings round the Savage for brakes, power and handling.  

Trippah summed it up nicely with “the Savage is a 20 year old under-engineered mildly tuned beastie, designed for relatively easy going putters”.  At least some people on here can make an honest reflection on the market niche that their bike fills.

The Savage is a nice little bike and is a pleasure to sit on and tinker with, and fits a market niche.  But don’t call it powerful, and don’t delude yourselves that it handles well.  That would just be opinion based on limited experience of mainstream bikes, and it would seem that such opinion is a no-no round here!

Fact – the Savage makes little power, unless somebody can put forward a case to suggest that under 30hp is good power??   Fact – it has faults, just read the forum.  Fact – it’s not a sharp handler – it’s just about okay for a cruiser.  Fact – it has weak brakes, they’re just about good enough – for a cruiser.  

It seems that if you pass off facts you will get flamed and called names when over-sensitive owners feel their pride in their little thumpers is dented – maybe that’s what will never change.

Thanks for taking the time to reply with a well thought out post. It makes it much easier for the intelligent and the not so intelligent to see what you are saying.

I haven't personally ridden many bikes so I can't argue on handling or braking because I don't have a point of reference. I do know that doing city speeds the Savage has a much quicker feel to the handling than my dad's Honda VLX cruiser. I prefer the handling of the VLX for highway though. I am also fairly proficient at math so let me give a shot at the "little power" opinion.

The Savage is 352 pounds and has 31 HP. I would venture to say the average Savage rider is 170 pounds. The combined weight of the rider and the bike is 522 pounds. This gives us 16.8 pounds per HP.

A 2002 Honda Shadow VT750 C2 has 43 HP and weighs 505 pounds according to bikez.com. If you put the same rider on this bike you get a combined weight of 675 pounds. This gives us 15.7 pounds per HP.

The HP to weight ratio of the Savage looks pretty close to (but slightly under) one of the best selling import cruisers on the market (which is also a bigger bike).

You also say the Savage will go "maybe 80 MPH". I can personally attest that a stock Savage will do more. I was 2up on the little Savage last night. I weigh about 160 and I would guess my passenger to weigh about the same. I was cruising at about 85 and didn't have the throttle all the way open. This was not downhill. My speedometer is actually pretty accurate. There's plenty of radar machines around here to compare to.

When I read your original post it seemed to me to hint that the Savage was so bad as to be a danger. Doesn't stop, unbelievably slow, and handles like a croc are often taken to be very strong terms and I'm sure you didn't mean for them to come off that way. Regardless, all three of those are an opinion even if those opinions are based on facts like "the Savage doesn't accelerate as fast as XXXX bike". Those opinions were thrown in with facts like the finish has quality issues and the timing chain tensioner often fails prematurely.

So people don't misunderstand your intentions, opinions should at the very least be stated separate from facts. They should also probably have strong context clues that they are in fact opinion. If you don't then people might feel that you are abrasive or an @sshole.

IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #83 - 02/05/08 at 14:48:34

Thanks for taking the time to reply with a well thought out post. It makes it much easier for the intelligent and the not so intelligent to see what you are saying.

Not sure what this comment about intelligence has to do with a discussion about the Suzuki Savage?

I haven't personally ridden many bikes so I can't argue on handling or braking because I don't have a point of reference. I do know that doing city speeds the Savage has a much quicker feel to the handling than my dad's Honda VLX cruiser. I prefer the handling of the VLX for highway though.

Comparing the LS650/C40 to the VLX is comparing roller skates to roller blades - same idea but with different technology so the comparison becomes pretty meaningless

I am also fairly proficient at math so let me give a shot at the "little power" opinion.

The Savage is 352 pounds and has 31 HP. I would venture to say the average Savage rider is 170 pounds. The combined weight of the rider and the bike is 522 pounds. This gives us 16.8 pounds per HP.

A 2002 Honda Shadow VT750 C2 has 43 HP and weighs 505 pounds according to bikez.com. If you put the same rider on this bike you get a combined weight of 675 pounds. This gives us 15.7 pounds per HP.

The HP to weight ratio of the Savage looks pretty close to (but slightly under) one of the best selling import cruisers on the market (which is also a bigger bike).

Math only tells mechanical numbers and these are so variable as to really not mean much in the real world

You also say the Savage will go "maybe 80 MPH". I can personally attest that a stock Savage will do more. I was 2up on the little Savage last night. I weigh about 160 and I would guess my passenger to weigh about the same. I was cruising at about 85 and didn't have the throttle all the way open. This was not downhill. My speedometer is actually pretty accurate. There's plenty of radar machines around here to compare to.

That is simply to fast. Guess my 48 years of riding  have made me very conservative but that is to much speed for a Savage to carry with two up. Have you figured out what you will tell your friends parents after the accident that you are setting up by running that speed? I had to do that once- tell my best friends parents that his face would be scarred for life because I was driving to fast. Think about it - please

When I read your original post it seemed to me to hint that the Savage was so bad as to be a danger. Doesn't stop, unbelievably slow, and handles like a croc are often taken to be very strong terms and I'm sure you didn't mean for them to come off that way. Regardless, all three of those are an opinion even if those opinions are based on facts like "the Savage doesn't accelerate as fast as XXXX bike". Those opinions were thrown in with facts like the finish has quality issues and the timing chain tensioner often fails prematurely.

So people don't misunderstand your intentions, opinions should at the very least be stated separate from facts. They should also probably have strong context clues that they are in fact opinion. If you don't then people might feel that you are abrasive or an @sshole.

Well written until the last sentence. What did you accomplish by swearing?

Look - he has an ax to grind with the Savage. Most riders/owners/readers here do not. End of story.

There is an old saw - you can argue with me but you cannot argue with logic. I believe his logic is flawed so that is the end of it

IP Logged
Dark Savage
YaBB Newbies

Austin, TX
Reply #84 - 02/05/08 at 15:33:51

Not sure what this comment about intelligence has to do with a discussion about the Suzuki Savage?

I guess I could have said "easier for anyone" instead. I just shortened it down from something much longer and that happened to stay in.

I haven't personally ridden many bikes so I can't argue on handling or braking because I don't have a point of reference. I do know that doing city speeds the Savage has a much quicker feel to the handling than my dad's Honda VLX cruiser. I prefer the handling of the VLX for highway though.

Comparing the LS650/C40 to the VLX is comparing roller skates to roller blades - same idea but with different technology so the comparison becomes pretty meaningless

It's what I have experience with. It is at least a cruiser style bike of similar size unlike much of what KwakNut was comparing to. I can't really think of much you can compare the Savage to. It's really a bit unique.

I am also fairly proficient at math so let me give a shot at the "little power" opinion.

Math only tells mechanical numbers and these are so variable as to really not mean much in the real world

HP really doesn't mean a whole lot either but I was trying to convince KwakNut who seems pretty stuck on HP meaning a lot.

That is simply to fast. Guess my 48 years of riding  have made me very conservative but that is to much speed for a Savage to carry with two up. Have you figured out what you will tell your friends parents after the accident that you are setting up by running that speed? I had to do that once- tell my best friends parents that his face would be scarred for life because I was driving to fast. Think about it - please

I was flowing with traffic that was going that speed. It would have been unsafe to be going slower, especially on a bike.

Well written until the last sentence. What did you accomplish by swearing?

I guess I was just trying to be frank with him and tell him why people were being so rude. I didn't mean to offend anyone's sensibilities.

Look - he has an ax to grind with the Savage. Most riders/owners/readers here do not. End of story.

There is an old saw - you can argue with me but you cannot argue with logic. I believe his logic is flawed so that is the end of it

[/quote]

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #85 - 02/05/08 at 15:50:59

Well, isn't this the interesting thread ?  There are a lot of words but for what ?

I like big singles; that is why I have this bike.  There are indeed shortcoming and that is why I have been playing with it since I first got the little bugger.  I am also a chronic tinkerer so that is a big part of it too.  Tweak the engine for a bit more power, forks and shocks for a little better ride, better seat cushion to uncramp the butt muscles.  But the main thing is that it is fun to ride for me.  I like the torque/power characteristics of of a big single ... it is just fun.  Smiley

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #86 - 02/05/08 at 16:18:29

round and round we go!!! i never liked the savage at all till i got one. why did i get one? it was very cheap. i also own bigger and smaller bikes. the savage is just plain fun to ride(i admit i beat on it occasionally) handles better than my chopper, could probably out run it around town and in the twisties. stops better than my other bikes. gets good milage. it doesnt matter to me what anyone else thinks about it, its mine and i like it. you all make me laugh.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #87 - 02/05/08 at 16:30:22

Where I commute from Frisco,Tx to Dallas on Preston rd. it doesn't matter if you have 10hp or a 100 you are still only going to go the speed of traffic.If you're a lane splitter,try it in Dallas see what happens.I like my Savages(yes two)I can go to school,and work for about $4.00 a day with premium versus $20.00 a day in my truck.
Comparing the Savage,and a sport bike is like me challenging you to a tug of war.Your car versus my 4wd truck.Even if you have 400hp car I'm still going to out pull you with my 200hp truck.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #88 - 02/05/08 at 18:40:13

Some people have no concept of really low performance.

I spent the summer of '64 in England, staying in Kent.  My uncle let me use his moped.  Rode it into London.  Had to push it up Shooter's Hill.

I rode a rented Suzuki 90 on a 160 mile round-trip Biloxi MS - New Orleans.

Had my 40 horse 4000 pound camper which I drove from L.A. to 100 Mile House BC (100 pounds/hp!)

Had a '54 Dodge pickup in '69 in Warner Robins GA -- flathead six.  When I bought it it had the front brake line pinched off and the right rear grabbed -- now THAT was pitiful braking.  Almost as bad as when I lost the master cylinder on my VW Beetle in Greece (which I drove a week using the hand brake.)

Had a Pinto -- the coupling between steering wheel and the rest of the steering stuff broke, so I had a rather large degree (15?) of slop.  Made staying in your own lane interesting.  An intake valve broke in the open position so that cylinder fired back into the intake.  I continued to work, drove home, pulled the plug wire from the offending cylinder.  Running on three cylinders my top speed dropped to about 25 mph.  Drove to and from work for a month before driving it to the junkyard.

Claiming the Savage has low performance/handling/braking is a joke.

WWW   IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Reply #89 - 02/05/08 at 18:47:34

Wow, this has got to be one of the dumbest threads I have read on this forum...and I must be even dumber for having read it.

I think you guys need to go for a putt and chill out, it ain`t that cold.

WB

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:22:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage reliability compared to Triunph/BSA/Norton?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.