Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Savage reliability compared to Triunph/BSA/Norton? (Read 1467 times)
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Re: Savage reliability compared to Triunph/BSA/Nor
Reply #45 - 02/04/08 at 10:53:35

I don't know of any 125cc motorcycle that will do 100mph. Now the Kawasaki 250 Ninja will break 100mph it is said by owners.

jjn

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #46 - 02/04/08 at 12:29:38

jjn wrote on 02/04/08 at 10:53:35:
 I don't know of any 125cc motorcycle that will do 100mph. Now the Kawasaki 250 Ninja will break 100mph it is said by owners.    jjn
The Cagiva Mito 125 does 100mph.  The Aprilia RS 125 comes out of the box capable of 93mph and will do close to 110 with just a power valve change.  The Yamaha RD250 and Suzuki X7 250 broke 100 in 1978.
If you compare with modern 250s, there’s no point, because plenty will do 110plus.

I know these aren’t cruisers, but the point I made remains valid.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #47 - 02/04/08 at 12:37:57

And my mildly tuned Savage tops out 92mph (GPS measured).   Again, just how far beyond the speed limit do you want to go???

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 02/04/08 at 13:39:53

Paladin. wrote on 02/04/08 at 09:22:46:
Slow compared with what?  Also explain why 30 hp in a 354 pound bike is underpowered.  Again, you have made the extrodinary claim, you need to support this claim.
The 535cc Yamaha Virago makes 44hp and is just as emissions-restricted as the LS.  (It also handles better, stops better, does around 105mph top end and weighs about 46lb more)
What is extraordinary about saying that a 650cc motorcycle only making 30hp is under-powered?  My dog can see that, and he’s not much of an engineer.
On the whole in the UK, the only people who would have a 30hp bike would be learners or little old ladies; I went for a Savage because I think it’s really cute and I think I can get a few more hp out of it to make it useable on the road.  I’ve driven in the States plenty when working over there and on vacation, and can tell you that our roads are very different.  We need more power because everybody around you accelerates harder for road position on our crowded little island and you need a machine that will respond to the throttle. Doesn’t a standard Savage take 7 seconds to reach 60?  That’s a joke for a bike.  We can’t expect all bikes to do it in under 3, but I’ve never had a road bike that would take more than about 4 seconds and I find it hard to believe that a 650 can take so long.

Quote:
You claim to be incompentent.  Fine.  That does not mean the Savage is underpowered. .

Why, but why, do you have to go for personal attack every time???? I have plenty of track experience on both 2 and 4 wheels.  I’m trained in defensive/evasive driving for some aspects of my military career, I cover 30.000 miles a year with no accidents for a decade, and (if I’m honest about it) can take just about any bike to the limit of its tyres.  So why incompetent?  Is that because I believe I can overtake a car more safely on a 50hp 250lb enduro bike than I can on a 27hp 354lb cruiser? Or is the ‘incompetent’ slur just another jibe because you’re running out of respectable, credible debate and have to resort to insults again?

Quote:
Since I know, from personal experience on the twisties, that the Savage DOES handle well the only crock around here is the crock you are dipping out of. .
Yes, you CAN ride a Savage round twisties. Yippee, well done.  Maybe it will go round them faster than a Fat Boy.  Again, well done old chap.  But, just because the Savage isn’t the worst handling bike on the road doesn’t mean it’s good.  Is that so very, very hard to understand?  I’ve tried pushing a Savage a few tmes out of curiosity – I live close to a hilly national park area with fantastic twisty roads everywhere – and would agree that it will go round bends, but far, far slower than a normal bike.  Let’s face it, a trike will get round bends, but not all that fast.

Quote:
You claim "too little power" -- back that claim up in the face of those who know from personal experience that the Savage has more than sufficient power.   Poor Brakes?  Substantiate that -- how many Savages have over run their brakes and smashed into things versus, percentagewise, the sport bike of your choice.  Poor handling?  Are you calling me a liar when I state that I was not passed by any sport bikes on two of the favored sport bike roads here in SoCal?  Explain how the bike can have POOR handling when it performs so well in the twisties.  Design quirks?  What are you talking about?  What is your hangup with the Savage?
I don’t have one, how many f####### times do I have to say I really LIKE the Savage?  I have no hangup with it, but I have to question when people describe it as being powerful, or handling well, when those are not its virtues.  
If you think the Savage has sufficient power, just think how much you’d enjoy a bike with a strong motor.  As for substantiating claims, I don’t need to substantiate my own experience of good brakes then getting onto a Savage.  I’d agree it stops a whole lot better than a 50s Harley – let’s celebrate that – but a tiny single front disk and a rear drum is a combination belonging in the Dark Ages.   I expect a bike to stand on its nose when I even think about the front lever.
Not being passed by sport bikes?  Plenty of guys without balls ride sport bikes slowly, or maybe they just hang back when some old guy is weaving all over the tarmac on a little cruiser with a frame and forks that act like they’re made of rubber bands when pushed.  

Quote:
Obviously.  But you are not stating that you merely disagree.  You are claiming that the Savage is pitifully underpowered, handles poorly, can't stop, etc..  You are claiming that as being factual and not just the misinformed opinion of a biased nut.
Look, I’ve owned about 60 bikes and ridden literally hundreds.  I love bikes, have done for 25 of my 42 years, and I’ve had and enjoyed many kinds of bikes.  I’ve just never owned one with the combination of weak engine/brakes/suspension that the Savage boasts.    How’s about you try something novel here – post something back without stooping to personal insults against somebody who had the audacity to question the perfection of the mighty Savage, and while you’re at it, tell me what bikes you compare the Savage to?  What other bikes have you had over the years?

IP Logged
Dark Savage
YaBB Newbies

Austin, TX
Reply #49 - 02/04/08 at 13:42:16

I don't know of any 125cc motorcycle that will do 100mph. Now the Kawasaki 250 Ninja will break 100mph it is said by owners.

jjn

All of these are 2stroke. The Savage is a 4stroke. There's quite a bit of difference between the two that makes a 2stroke much more powerful at higher RPMs. These differences also give them very dirty emissions and they are therefore no longer in use.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 02/04/08 at 13:59:35

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 02/04/08 at 12:37:57:
And my mildly tuned Savage tops out 92mph (GPS measured).   Again, just how far beyond the speed limit do you want to go???

That's fine for me. I'm tuning my Savage but it won't be a long distance machine so 80 or 90mph will be quite enough. I’m building the Savage to be my round-town shopping and errands bike.  I do love speed and have had Z900/1000s,  GPZ900s. GPZ1000s, ZZr1100s, GSX-R1100s, and various race replicas as well as things like Bandits and XJRs.  My trusty (and ever so pretty) old ZL1000 tops out at about 140, my tuned ZX12 will scream pass 190 without the laughing gas and has hit a measured 214 with the button pressed , but I'd never want that sort of use from a Savage.

I don’t need the Savage to handle better – it’s actually quite good fun pushing a bad-handling bike to its limits at lower speeds, and you always get plenty of feedback from soft frames and rubbery forks.  What I would want is something just a little more exciting power wise at low/medium speed when I twist the throttle, so I can enjoy a bit of a buzz when I pull past traffic.  You really can't have too much power, and 30hp is simply inadequate.

That doesn’t mean I’m calling the bike no good, or bad-mouthing its owners, I’m just saying the Savage has its weaknesses.  Hardly a crime, or so I thought!

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 02/04/08 at 14:12:50

Dark Savage wrote on 02/04/08 at 13:42:16:

jjn

All of these are 2stroke. The Savage is a 4stroke. There's quite a bit of difference between the two that makes a 2stroke much more powerful at higher RPMs. These differences also give them very dirty emissions and they are therefore no longer in use.

Wow, I never knew that - the Savage is a 4-stroke?  what does that mean?

Sarcasm aside - and I think it may have been called for in this case - would you care to point out which 250 Ninja is a 2-stroke?  As far as I knew, it was a 4-stroke.
And, for the record, the 2-strokes are still in-use, being made and being sold.
You’ll also find that the power advantage of 2-strokes is far less than it used to be over 4-strokes, now that we have 4-stroke road bikes pushing towards 20000 rpm.

I wasn’t seeking to compare 2-strokes and screamers with the Savage – they are totally different animals.  I was merely clarifying the doubt over whether 125s (and 250s) can exceed 100mph.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #52 - 02/04/08 at 15:15:58

KwakNut wrote on 02/04/08 at 13:39:53:
So why incompetent?

There's 2 things fundamentally wrong with your argument:

1. You pass judgement on ALL Savage 650s based on your more than likely limited seat time on a bike with substantial engine damage, which is probably in factory tune. The accessment you gave of YOUR Savage's performance may very well be accurate. It is certainly isn't true of ALL Savage 650s.

Is your bike stock (jetting, exhaust, intake)?

2. Coming to a Savage message board full of proponents of the bike and bashing it isn't too wise.

The Savage you own is YOUR bike. If you aren't satisfied with it's performance or handling, sell it and buy something more satisfying. I find the tuned Savage quite a capable machine and it does EVERYTHING I need it to do (and quite well IMO). Are there other bikes out there that perform better? Sure there are. Do I care? Nope.

We all know about opinions. .... everybody has one.

Your comment about living on a small island and needing lots of power to drive around traffic is also narrow minded. You certainly don't know EVERYTHING about this country. Come to this side of the pond and drive in LA, DC, Boston, or NYC on a bike. Then you'll be qualified to comment about OUR traffic and/or make comparisons.

IP Logged
Dark Savage
YaBB Newbies

Austin, TX
Reply #53 - 02/04/08 at 15:26:40

KwakNut wrote on 02/04/08 at 14:12:50:
Dark Savage wrote on 02/04/08 at 13:42:16:

jjn

Wow, I never knew that - the Savage is a 4-stroke?  what does that mean?

Sarcasm aside - and I think it may have been called for in this case - would you care to point out which 250 Ninja is a 2-stroke?  As far as I knew, it was a 4-stroke.
And, for the record, the 2-strokes are still in-use, being made and being sold.
You’ll also find that the power advantage of 2-strokes is far less than it used to be over 4-strokes, now that we have 4-stroke road bikes pushing towards 20000 rpm.

I wasn’t seeking to compare 2-strokes and screamers with the Savage – they are totally different animals.  I was merely clarifying the doubt over whether 125s (and 250s) can exceed 100mph.

Fair enough. I guess the post you were replying to did say he doesn't know of any that can do it except the ninja 250.

And yes there are some 2 strokes still being made and sold but what I meant was there aren't any street legal ones still in production (at least where I live, correct me if somebody found a loophole through the EPA's net)

I have to say there is definite truth to stuff you are saying. Yes there are motorcycles that are faster. Yes there are motorcycles that have better handling and braking. There's always something "better". This world is Hell bent on getting you to buy something "better" too.

If you really want somebody to take you seriously then try comparing a motorcycle of the same type (i.e. cruiser) with a similar price. Who cares about engine size when the more powerful bike cost's 25 percent more. Are the brakes about right for the weight of the bike and the HP rating? Yes. Will it stand on it's nose? I would hope that no cruiser would considering the amount of rake. For the price you really do get a lot with the Savage. No it's not the marvel of modern engineering but no one ever claimed that it was.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 02/04/08 at 15:36:16

Dynobob wrote on 02/04/08 at 15:15:58:
KwakNut wrote on 02/04/08 at 13:39:53:
So why incompetent?

There's 2 things fundamentally wrong with your argument:

You pass judgement on ALL Savage 650s based on your more than likely limited seat time on a bike with substantial engine damage, which is probably in factory tune. The accessment you gave of YOUR Savage's performance may very well be accurate. It is certainly isn't true of ALL Savage 650s. .
If you’d seen a few other posts, you’d see that I’ve ridden a few Savages.

All this bitching started when I just said that 30hp isn’t enough for a bike (I apply that to any bike, anywhere, any style).  Some people might think 30hp is awesome.  I think it’s inadequate.  Guess it’s down to what you’re used to.  I’ve never had a road bike before with less than about 90hp, so I am struggling to get my head around having to wring the throttle’s neck to get anywhere.  I’ve ridden and tried low-powered bikes, but not owned one before now.

Quote:
Is your bike stock (jetting, exhaust, intake)?
The carb mods were done but the exhaust cam lobe  and rocker were worn badly on mine, but not on the others I tried.

Quote:
2. Coming to a Savage message board full of proponents of the bike and bashing it isn't too wise.
I’m not bashing the bike.  How many times do I have to repeat that I really, really like the bike.  I think it’s a little beauty, but I can’t see why some people get so worked up just because I say it has its faults.  
So many posters are desperate to up the power that they’re spending relatively big money (for a cheap bike) on exhausts, carburettors, cams, head work – is that because it has enough power?

Quote:
The Savage you own is YOUR bike. If you aren't satisfied with it's performance or handling, sell it and buy something more satisfying. I find the tuned Savage quite a capable machine and it does EVERYTHING I need it to do (and quite well IMO). Are there other bikes out there that perform better? Sure there are. Do I care? Nope.
I didn’t buy mine because I wanted a speed machine, I bought it because it’s a quirky little bike and fun to pootle around on.  That doesn’t mean I will take holy vows to ignore its faults.

Quote:
Your comment about living on a small island and needing lots of power to drive around traffic is also narrow minded. You certainly don't know EVERYTHING about this country. Come to this side of the pond and drive in LA, DC, Boston, or NYC on a bike. Then you'll be qualified to comment about OUR traffic and/or make comparisons.
Have done, in DC and NYC of the cities you list and a few others too.  It doesn’t compare – the roads are a lot quicker in the UK because people don’t stick to the limits like they do in the US and we have higher limits on narrow, twisty roads.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 02/04/08 at 15:45:03

Dark Savage wrote on 02/04/08 at 15:26:40:
I have to say there is definite truth to stuff you are saying. Yes there are motorcycles that are faster. Yes there are motorcycles that have better handling and braking. There's always something "better". This world is Hell bent on getting you to buy something "better" too..

I’m not saying the Savage needs to be as fast as a Hayabusa, or stop like a GSX-R600, or have the mid range of a muscle bike, or handle like a Ducati.

I’m just saying that, while it’s a really, really appealing and pleasant bike, it does need more power, and its brakes and handling aren’t great.

Those honest comments resulted in a baying mob, going for my throat – one of whom seemed hell bent on throwing in personal insults whenever he could; hope he feels better for that.

The Savage’s faults don’t stop me from liking it, but the problem over the last few pages here is that some of the fans just go ape when somebody has the audacity to suggest that the machine could be better.  Time for a reality check guys.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #56 - 02/04/08 at 15:48:11

KwakNut wrote on 02/04/08 at 15:36:16:
So many posters are desperate to up the power that they’re spending relatively big money (for a cheap bike) on exhausts, carburettors, cams, head work – is that because it has enough power?

In stock form, it didn't FOR ME. I found it rather anemic until I did a few inexpensive mods. Another PLUS in the Savages favor is it is very simple and easy to work on. How many people don't jet their own twins or 4 cylinder bikes because of the complexity? The Savage is a FUN bike and EASY TO WORK ON.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 02/04/08 at 16:03:01

Dynobob wrote on 02/04/08 at 15:48:11:
In stock form, it didn't FOR ME. I found it rather anemic until I did a few inexpensive mods. Another PLUS in the Savages favor is it is very simple and easy to work on. How many people don't jet their own twins or 4 cylinder bikes because of the complexity? The Savage is a FUN bike and EASY TO WORK ON.
Another great advantage of this loveable little bike which I’d agree with 100%.  I'm happy working on complex modern 4-cylinder bikes, carb or injection, but I'm happier still if I've just got one carb and one set of valves to play with.
Like I said, I do like the Savage and appreciate its many good points - but I can't get away from finding its performance to be a little limited.  That shouldn’t make me some kind of deviant.

I can live with the brakes because they're typical of the style of bike, same with the handling, but I must get more power.  Hopefully when I've put it back together (head ported, cylinder skimmed a little, better pipe, carb mods, camshaft from Lancer) it will feel like a different engine.  

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #58 - 02/04/08 at 16:14:19

If this bike where faster, braked better, handle better , what would you do with it that you don't do now?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #59 - 02/04/08 at 17:32:23

Oh my,  oh my ......

He's a baiting the entire torch carrying mob and surviving just by insisting that only the righteous and truthful among them can fling the first torch on to his oil soaked woodpile.

Truth, a real world kawa ninja 250 4 stroke legal sold pollution certified scoot can do what he said -- 100 mph.

He's still standing on his oil soaked bundles of kindling voluntarily chained to his post of position by his own words, only insisting that you be as honest as he is.

OK, here's my match -- I agree that our bike isn't modern and isn't rocket fast and can be improved by us and still not be as sporty as some or as nimble as some are right out of the box.  

I could have figured out how to lower a 250 ninja and I could have had better performance and over 60,000 miles on an engine/camchain just as long as I remembered to use synthetic oil and keep the right oil level inside the little songbird at all times (they use oil, BTW).

But I'd have felt silly buzzing around on it all the time working through the 11,000 RPM rev up at each shift.    
Buzzzzz
Buzzzzzzz
Buzzzzzzzzzzzz
Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

(looks silly,  sounds even sillier when you hear it)

So I blow out my match and simply say "I thought about everything you've said here even before you said it and I have looked around at other bikes -- and if I find one that suits me better than my Savage I might just buy it. "

If I find something that makes me feel better looking at it and riding it.  

Ain't found one yet that was worth mentioning so far.

<g>

'Cept maybe that wee little water cooled 450 South Korean holigan cycle that still needs some help in the narrow/tall butt seating department a'for being considered even somewhat civilized....

SNORT!
SNOORRRT!
SNOOOOORRRTTT!
VRRROOOOOOOOMMMM!
ROOOOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRR!
Weee(flash)Weeee(flash)Weeee(flash)Weeeee

(sounds of fast police pursuit)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:23:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage reliability compared to Triunph/BSA/Norton?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.