Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Savage reliability compared to Triunph/BSA/Norton? (Read 1467 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Savage reliability compared to Triunph/BSA/Nor
Reply #30 - 02/04/08 at 06:19:47

Arthur wrote on 02/03/08 at 20:06:28:
Paladin. wrote on 02/03/08 at 19:50:06:
I need a reliable motorcycle.

It is exactly this attitude that has resulted in the majority of cars on the road being  gray, black or white generic econoboxes bought by all the mindless office drones and robots who want to conform and obey.

First, the majority of vehicles on the road are not black-gray-white econboxes.  In case you didn't notice, econoboxes are a thing of the past -- the days of ordering a car with the options of a radio and heater are long gone.

Find me an econobox.  The cheapest Ford is the Focus - standard CD/MP2 player, satelite radio, and it listens to you.    I've had a 1 liter sports car.  The Focus comes wtih a 2 liter 16 valve aluminum engine pumping out 130-140 hp.  Theyr'e ashamed of the weight and refuse to put it up on the web.  It costs nearly $15K.

Second, what is wrong with wanting to not be stranded by a broken down vehicle?  I've had unreliable.  Trust me!  Reliable is Much More Fun.  Being able to get to where you want to go is a Good Thing!  (Even better, being able to get back home!)

Lastly, the mindless drones don't drive econoboxes.  As mindless drones they heed the advertizing and get Volvos and BMWs and Mustangs and all the other over-hyped over-priced technotoys.  They read the magazines and go gah-gah over the multicylinder super powered killer bikes and mock the 650 single as having no performance.  Ignore that I rode the Ortega Highway west to east and was not passed by anything.  Ignore my 1300+ miles on the superslab last September.  Ignore the lass here who was mocked by a sportbike at a traffic signal and left him behind on the green.

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 02/04/08 at 06:29:31

Paladin. wrote on 02/04/08 at 06:19:47:
Arthur wrote on 02/03/08 at 20:06:28:
Paladin. wrote on 02/03/08 at 19:50:06:
I need a reliable motorcycle.

It is exactly this attitude that has resulted in the majority of cars on the road being  gray, black or white generic econoboxes bought by all the mindless office drones and robots who want to conform and obey.

First, the majority of vehicles on the road are not black-gray-white econboxes.  In case you didn't notice, econoboxes are a thing of the past -- the days of ordering a car with the options of a radio and heater are long gone.

Find me an econobox.  The cheapest Ford is the Focus - standard CD/MP2 player, satelite radio, and it listens to you.    I've had a 1 liter sports car.  The Focus comes wtih a 2 liter 16 valve aluminum engine pumping out 130-140 hp.  Theyr'e ashamed of the weight and refuse to put it up on the web.  It costs nearly $15K.

Second, what is wrong with wanting to not be stranded by a broken down vehicle?  I've had unreliable.  Trust me!  Reliable is Much More Fun.  Being able to get to where you want to go is a Good Thing!  (Even better, being able to get back home!)

Lastly, the mindless drones don't drive econoboxes.  As mindless drones they heed the advertizing and get Volvos and BMWs and Mustangs and all the other over-hyped over-priced technotoys.  They read the magazines and go gah-gah over the multicylinder super powered killer bikes and mock the 650 single as having no performance.  Ignore that I rode the Ortega Highway west to east and was not passed by anything.  Ignore my 1300+ miles on the superslab last September.  Ignore the lass here who was mocked by a sportbike at a traffic signal and left him behind on the green.

Excellent points, Paladin.  I hadn't though about it like this.  I'm from the old school.  I retract what I said.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #32 - 02/04/08 at 06:39:15

txsizzler wrote on 02/03/08 at 20:52:46:
.... still take pride in their rides. I surely hope you do.
I take pride in my bike.  If I wanted to blend I'd be riding a "performance" bike like all the mindless drones, or one of the endless variations of 'custon' Harleys and HD clones.

What I have though, is a growing respect for that "little" bike.  Nearly untouchable on the streets.  Not easily passed on the twisties.  Adaquate on the superslab.  Loving the 2-laners.  And it just keeps chuffing along.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #33 - 02/04/08 at 06:44:00

Arthur wrote on 02/04/08 at 06:29:31:
Excellent points, Paladin.  I hadn't though about it like this.  I'm from the old school.  I retract what I said.
Obviously Old School!  You're a gentleman and a scholar and there's few of us left.

WWW   IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #34 - 02/04/08 at 06:58:10

Dynobob wrote on 02/03/08 at 16:49:31:
My LS650 has plenty of power and tons of torque. It handles GREAT and is very flickable. It's a very capable bike.

KwakNut - if your Savage runs so horribly, it's either stock or hasn't been tuned properly. If you're comparing modern sportbikes and crotch rockets to the Savage 650, why bother  Roll Eyes
My own bike had a cam wear problem, so, yes, it wasn’t right, but I’ve ridden 2 other Savages and I find it quite amazing that anybody can describe them as being powerful or handling well.  A 650 single should produce 45-50hp without being revvy, and still have loads of torque.  At 31hp, even with the bike so light, the Savage is woefully underpowered.  Comparing it positively to a Harley ditch pump for acceleration is like being happy that your compact car can out-drag a school bus.  Just.
As for handling, no bike with the kind of rake and trail found on the Savage can have good handling – it’s just not possible.  Just because a bike is light and can be ridden around a car park easily doesn’t mean it handles.  

I don’t compare the Savage to crotch rockets for power and handling, just to ‘ordinary’ mild-tuned all-rounders.  
The Savage fits a market niche – its buyers go for looks, image and character, mostly the character of the thumper, not performance.  For some people, the Savage has enough power.  For some people, it handles well enough.  I didn’t buy mine for power or handling, I have other bikes that do that – I bought the savage because I think it’s sooo cute and want to restore it and customise it a little.

It doesn’t matter as long as we’re happy with our own bikes and get pleasure from them.  I came across a guy at a bike meet a few months ago saying how fantastic his GSXR1000 handled.  Took a look at his tyres, and he had ¾ of an inch of chicken strips round the edges – he’d never leaned the bike far enough to find out what it could do, but for him, in his mind, he thought he was pushing the bike and knew how it handled.  By coincidence I passed him a little later (I was on a cruiser and not riding too hard); he may as well have had a Goldwing for the way he rode that race rep, but I guess he was happy.  We all get different pleasures from bike ownership.

I do like the Savage, but you’d really have to be in love with it to say it handles well or is powerful.

Dynobob wrote on 02/03/08 at 16:49:31:
The Savage is a proven design based on 1980s technology. Brit bikes are notoriously unreliable. Their Lucas electrics were poor and rather unreliable. The Savage with it's solid state electrics and belt drive are quite troublefree. I don't do much to mine but change the oil and ride the wheels off it.
I’m with you there – I used to enjoy travelling round with a toolkit and using it, these days I like trouble-free.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #35 - 02/04/08 at 07:17:02

IF You go to the trouble & expense of buying replacement electronics, make sure to wrap & protect from any EMP attack losses.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #36 - 02/04/08 at 07:31:00

Opinions are like a$$ holes.  Everyone has one...

But here's your chance to back up your opinion, KwakNut:

You said that the Savage is slow.  Ok. Compared to what?

You said the Savage is underpowered. Ok, again, compared to what?

You said the Savage handles like a school bus.  Again, what are you comparing to to?

Find me another 650cc single small cruiser motorcycle that is still in production to compare it to and I'll listen to your opinion.  Otherwise, you're blowing hot air.....  

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 02/04/08 at 08:20:22

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 02/04/08 at 07:31:00:
Opinions are like a$$ holes.  Everyone has one...
But here's your chance to back up your opinion, KwakNut:
You said that the Savage is slow.  Ok. Compared to what?
You said the Savage is underpowered. Ok, again, compared to what?
You said the Savage handles like a school bus.  Again, what are you comparing to to?
Find me another 650cc single small cruiser motorcycle that is still in production to compare it to and I'll listen to your opinion.  Otherwise, you're blowing hot air.....  

Wow – why do some of you guys respond to criticism of a motorcycle as though I’m saying bad things about your mother’s virtue?
If you really must get so defensive and pedantic about it, here we go:

Slow compared to what?
Well, how's about you show me the list of bikes over 600cc that will only make a top speed of 79mph.  Even a Virago 250 will do 75.  Plenty of 125s will do over 100mph.  It’s hard to name a bike over 400cc that is slower.
Underpowered.  Do I really have to explain that 30hp (or maybe its as as bad as 27) from a 650cc lump is low?  Do I really need to list 450, 400, 350 and even 250cc singles that make more power?
I know the Savage has a deliberately long-stroked engine to give it its characteristics, but it’s still running at least 10-15 hp below what a low-revving 650 single should be putting out.  I can overtake cars more safely on my single cylinder 400cc off-roader than I can on a Savage.
Handling.  I didn’t say it handles like a school bus – check my post again.  I may have said it handles like a crock.  It does.  Anybody who thinks a bike with that kind of steering head angle handles needs to learn what it’s like to ride a bike with more practical steering geometry.  Hey, why not even admit that the world is round and try riding a sports bike on occasion – you’d not be saying the Savage handles much longer.  No custom bike with long forks handles well – they just can’t.  Think simple - sports cars handle well, limousines don’t.
Find you another 650cc single small cruiser still in production.  Hmm – is that like, find me another natural satellite of the Earth, apart from the Moon?  I don’t recall there having been all that many 650cc single small cruisers – or does my memory fail me?  It’s still in production because it’s a cute bike, it luckily fits under European power limits for learner riders, and because it doesn’t have direct competitors.

For heavens’ sake.  Don’t be so defensive.  The Savage is a great little bike, but I’ll repeat what I said before.  It has too little power, poor brakes, poor handling and a few design quirks.  It’s still a nice thing, and I like it despite its weaknesses.

If some people think it handles well, and think it has plenty of power, well good for them, I just don't agree with them.  I have a friend who thinks big fat ladies are more attractive than those with a firm 36/24/34 figure.  I don't agree with him either.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #38 - 02/04/08 at 08:27:16

KwakNut wrote on 02/04/08 at 08:20:22:
Wow – why do some of you guys respond to criticism of a motorcycle as though I’m saying bad things about your mother’s virtue?

Slow compared to what?
Well, try to find me ANY bike of 600-650cc that will only make a top speed of 79mph......
I've been on the I-110 at 85mph (just keeping up with traffic.)  How much over the speed limit do you require?

We're complaining because you are posting a deep pile of manure.  Someone might believe you, so we have to correct your nonsense.  I notice you ignored my offer to help you out.

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #39 - 02/04/08 at 08:39:24

Too slow???  Just how muc OVER the speed limit do you want to ride?  I ride mine 70-75mph all day long on the interstate and still have power to pass slower traffic.

Under powered?  Compared to a fuel injected, computer controlled sport bike, the only way you can meet clean air standards with a carbeureted engine is to choke it down.  You want to pregnant dog about it being de-tuned, yell at the EPA, not the bike..

Handles like a crock.  Again, your apples to horse cart comparison of a cruiser to a sport bike.  Dude.... It is a cruiser.  It is not designed to lean over at 85* angles through a turn.  It's not designed to allow you to take 90* turns at 50mph.  It's a cruiser.  You sit back and enjoy the ride.

You suggested expanding my horizon and trying a sport bike?  Been there, didn't like that.  The riding position sucks for long distance travel.  My wrists hurt, my back hurt and my legs were uselessly cramped from being in the same position for too long, the passenger accomodations are spartan at best and you can't carry anything other than your wallet.  SO what's the point?  Oh thats right.  Go fast..  Satisfy that testosterone urge...  No thanks.. I'm too old for that kind of bravado.

Why are we so defensive?  Hmm.  This is a Savage forum.  We're all pretty much satisfied with our bikes.  Then along you come telling us what a dog it is and how we should expand our horizons... Its comparable to preaching from the Koran in St. Peter's square on Easter...

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 02/04/08 at 08:50:41

Paladin. wrote on 02/04/08 at 08:27:16:
Slow compared to what?
Well, try to find me ANY bike of 600-650cc that will only make a top speed of 79mph......
I've been on the I-110 at 85mph (just keeping up with traffic.)  How much over the speed limit do you require?
We're complaining because you are posting a deep pile of manure.  Someone might believe you, so we have to correct your nonsense.  I notice you ignored my offer to help you out.
Ah - 85mph on the speedo, so maybe doing 75-77 real speed, unless you have a calibrated speedometer?
Now you can't really be dumb, I know that.  We both know that if you have a little excess power, you can overtake more safely.  It's no good saying a 79mph top speed is good enough if it takes you half a day to get from 65 to 79 to pull past something - and the bike is really going to struggle to do that up a hill and into a headwind.  I wouldn't expect a small crusier to stand on its back wheel at 120 and push hard through 200 when I twist the throttle like my nitroused ZX12 will, because that's not what they're about, but I would hope for a little more power than the standard Savage has, just for comfortable town riding.

As for manure, what have I posted that is factually wrong?  Are your sensibilities so narrow-minded that you just can't tolerate somebody having an opinion that differs from your own?  Or is it just that you don't like being reminded that you're easily impressed by a small underpowered bike that handles badly?

I'm finding some reactions to an open criticism of the Savage's shortcomings to be fascinating.  A little like the cries of heresy by the Spanish Inquisition must have been.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 02/04/08 at 08:59:49

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 02/04/08 at 08:39:24:
Why are we so defensive?  Hmm.  This is a Savage forum.  We're all pretty much satisfied with our bikes.  Then along you come telling us what a dog it is and how we should expand our horizons... Its comparable to preaching from the Koran in St. Peter's square on Easter...  
Well, it’s certainly generated the same kind of reaction.

Speed and power: the thing just doesn’t pull hard enough at low or high speed.  Even for a long stroke carburetted air-cooled engine, it’s producing way under what we should get.  As I’ve said many times, I LIKE the bike.  To be honest I just think it’s a shame Suzuki didn’t produce a full power version, with a better head and cam.  Fact remains it is under-powered and slow, whatever people say.  

Handling:  yes, I agree, and I wouldn’t expect or want it to keep up with a race replica, but the whole point is that no cruiser handles well, they’re cruisers, and you have to live with awful handling if you want the looks and the riding position.  Why deny it?

Like I said I LIKE THE SAVAGE.  I like it a lot, but that doesn’t mean I will stick my head in the sand if somebody suggests it’s not perfect, or scream heresy if somebody criticises its obvious faults.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #42 - 02/04/08 at 09:22:46

....Slow compared to what?
Well, how's about you show me the list of bikes over 600cc that will only make a top speed of 79mph....
The Savage is not in that list.  YOU made the claim.  YOU back it up.  Slow compared with what?
Quote:
Underpowered.  Do I really have to explain that 30hp (or maybe its as as bad as 27) from a 650cc lump is low?  Do I really need tob list 450, 400, 350 and even 250cc singles that make more power?
Yes you do.  Also explain why 30 hp in a 354 pound bike is underpowered.  Again, you have made the extrodinary claim, you need to support this claim.
Quote:
I can overtake cars more safely on my single cylinder 400cc off-roader than I can on a Savage.
You claim to be incompentent.  Fine.  That does not mean the Savage is underpowered.
Quote:
Handling.  I didn’t say it handles like a school bus – check my post again.  I may have said it handles like a crock.  It does.
Define "crock".  Does "crock" mean "remarkably well"?
Quote:
 Anybody who thinks a bike with that kind of steering head angle handles needs to learn what it’s like to ride a bike with more practical steering geometry.
The claim is not that the Savage hendles like a sport bike.  Your claim is that the Savage handles like a crock, whatever the hell that means.  You need to back up your claims.
Quote:
Hey, why not even admit that the world is round and try riding a sports bike on occasion – you’d not be saying the Savage handles much longer.  No custom bike with long forks handles well – they just can’t.
Since I know, from personal experience on the twisties, that the Savage DOES handle well the only crock around here is the crock you are dipping out of.
Quote:
....For heavens’ sake.  Don’t be so defensive.  The Savage is a great little bike, but I’ll repeat what I said before.  It has too little power, poor brakes, poor handling and a few design quirks.
Repeating the same unsubstantiated bogus claims does not make them true.  You claim "too little power" -- back that claim up in the face of those who know from personal experience that the Savage has more than sufficient power.   Poor Brakes?  Substantiate that -- how many Savages have over run their brakes and smashed into things versus, percentagewise, the sport bike of your choice.  Poor handling?  Are you calling me a liar when I state that I was not passed by any sport bikes on two of the favored sport bike roads here in SoCal?  Explain how the bike can have POOR handling when it performs so well in the twisties.  Design quirks?  What are you talking about?  What is your hangup with the Savage?
Quote:
If some people think it handles well, and think it has plenty of power, well good for them, I just don't agree with them. ....

Obviously.  But you are not stating that you merely disagree.  You are claiming that the Savage is pitifully underpowered, handles poorly, can't stop, etc..  You are claiming that as being factual and not just the misinformed opinion of a biased nut.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 02/04/08 at 09:28:46

KwakNut wrote on 02/04/08 at 08:50:41:
I'm finding some reactions to an open criticism of the Savage's shortcomings to be fascinating.  A little like the cries of heresy by the Spanish Inquisition must have been.

Well, what did you expect?  You are in the Vatican and you just told the Pope there is no God?  What's your purpose here?  To enlighten us heathens?

For the record, my savage acelerates up hill from 65 to 75 in a blink of an eye (ok I couldn't blink cause of popping eye effect, so it really is a few seconds) and will do 86 up same hill.  On the flat I'm well over that, but that was purely accidental   Smiley  Also, speedo is nearly deadnuts on.  I have a VR1 and occasionaly will check the speedo on neighboring cages.

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #44 - 02/04/08 at 09:49:50

KwakNut wrote on 02/04/08 at 08:59:49:
Speed and power: the thing just doesn’t pull hard enough at low or high speed.  Even for a long stroke carburetted air-cooled engine, it’s producing way under what we should get.  As I’ve said many times, I LIKE the bike.  To be honest I just think it’s a shame Suzuki didn’t produce a full power version, with a better head and cam.  Fact remains it is under-powered and slow, whatever people say.  

And again, I ask you to turn your criticisms from the bike to the clean-air nazi's.

In order to meet clean air standards, Suzuki had to strangle the engine.  There are no pollution controls on the bike.  Fuel delivery and timing are all mechanically controlled.  Since there is no exhaust catalyst, no fuel injection, no sensor packs to maintain optimal a/f ratios, the only solution is to smother the engine.  Adding all the pollution controls would nearly double to cost of the bike and would probably kill future sales.

Instead, we get a castrated version of what a Thumper could be.  (You didn't have that problem with the '60s and '70s vintage bikes because there was no focus on emissions, only power).  That doesn't mean it always has to be like that.

A few simple tuning tips that any monkey with a screw driver could do and you're in business, freeing up those trapped ponies.  A quick tune of the carb and a less restrictive exhaust and the bike you're spending so much time denograting is now performing up to its potential.

Suzuki can't sell an unleashed stroker version of the bike because of clean air rules.  Its up to us (the end user) to un-do the restrictions and let the bike breathe....

Now compared to the older English thumpers (Norton, Vincent,Triumph), the last time I checked, I was able to ride across the county line without having a complete tool chest strapped to the back of the bike.  If I recall correctly, owning one of those bike either implied you were a mechanic or you were dating one....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:18:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage reliability compared to Triunph/BSA/Norton?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.