Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Savage reliability compared to Triunph/BSA/Norton? (Read 1467 times)
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Re: Savage reliability compared to Triunph/BSA/Nor
Reply #105 - 02/06/08 at 11:03:54

I haven't been on this forum lately, for the reason of ,I'm tired of argueing. So lets see if I can do this civilized. I have been riding for 43 years and owned over 50 bikes, of a lot of makes and size.First off KwakNut is correct about the Savage being underpowered,thanks to the EPA, but so is a 1340cc Harley at 60hp. I have a 23hp 500cc Royal Enfield, that is a twist and wait bike, very slow but I like it. All bikes are different, even the same model. I hear of people doing over 80mph on a stock Savage. I came up with the chain conversion to get over 70mph out of mine, and it is jetted and piped with a K&N filter. I only weigh 150 and the bike was bought new in 06. It now does 90mph. Handeling depends on what type of riding you want to do. That is why I own 7 different bikes. One for each type I plan on doing. The BSA 441 for trails, the 500 Enfield for trails and backroads,the Enfield 750 Interceptor for fast curves and highway cruising, the 650 Triumph chopper for cool bad handleing ego trips, the 100+hp custom V-Twin for shear power and speed. That leaves my 06Savage and my 2002 Kawasaki W650(Triumph clone). I am going to sell all my bikes but two. The Savage will be used for two lane black top at 60mph, and the Kawasaki for highway and out of state trips. All others are for sale. I do not blame anyone for standing up for their bike. Even though the Savage is underpowered, my 2000 Kawasaki 650 twin runs 50hp, and it doesn't handle as good as the Kawasaki, it is a great looking bike, and handles better than my Triumph chopper or my 100+hp custom. The Savage gets about 60mpg. The Kaw gets 70mpg and weighs more with 20 more hp. Everyone could compare bikes until the next millenium, but what it comes down to is that if YOU like YOUR bike, and it suits your needs, that is all that matters. A few years ago I wouldn't have beed caught dead on a JAP bike. I still wish I could hold up the Harleys I used to own, but that is not the case anymore. Harleys aren't fast with out sinking a ton of money into them either. Because of my physical state and present riding habits the Savage and Kawasaki fit my needs, and that is all that matters. I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers in this post, that was not my intention, and I don't think it was KwakNuts either.       Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #106 - 02/06/08 at 12:44:31

Hutch what was the top speed of yours when it was stock?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #107 - 02/06/08 at 14:44:39

Bill67, my top speed was 70mph totaly stock. After a 152.5 main, a 55 pilot, K&N drop in filter, Jardine muffler, and the 17/43 chain drive conversion it now will do 90mph after laying on the tank for about 2 miles. The bike now has 3000 miles on it. It will cruise 75-80 all day now. This is what I mean about bikes being the same model and year and not running the same. Others claim almost that stock. I have seen the same thing over the years on different bikes and also cars. Same year, same model, different performance. Sometimes you luck out, sometimes you don't. One other thing to show comparisons is this. My 67 Royal Enfield Interceptor was static and dynamicly balanced from the facory.It revs like an Indy car and has no vibration. It is 60hp stock from a 750cc parallel twin. It only weighs 70 pounds more than the Savage, with 30 extra hp. Not bad for a 41 year old bike. My 68 BSA 441 is 29hp stock,for a comparison to another single. It weighs 25 pounds less than the Savage with about the same hp and is 40 years old. So much for Progress. But as mentioned, you can blame the EPA for that. When they went from 2 stroke dirt bikes to 4 stroke, they had to build a 400cc bike to run as good as a 250cc 2 stroke. Soon we will be riding 1300cc bikes with the performance of a 650cc. You can only choke a motorcycle motor so much and you have to go bigger to get the same output.As I have mentioned before, I plan on keeping my Savage because it is a beautiful looking bike, lends itself to a chopper look and is light. It fits my short ride needs. The 650 Kaw is just light enough for my physical limitations, but has the power, handleling, and that old British look I like so much. I love all bikes, but I could go on for days about where each bike shines and doesn't. There are no perfect bikes for all types of riding, only ones that YOU like for YOUR type of riding.As long as you are satisfied with your bike, that is all that matters.     Hutch

« Last Edit: 02/06/08 at 19:53:38 by Hutch »  

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #108 - 02/06/08 at 16:24:50

Very well said Hutch, I agree with you and am glad you didn't get pulled into the p1ssing match Wink.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
liltimmy
YaBB Newbies

Have a Thumpin' good
time!

Paradise
Reply #109 - 02/07/08 at 04:30:29

My stock "05 can do 85mph easily, thats all the fast i need,  I weigh 260. I can hit the same speed hauling the ol' lady around, though acceleration suffers, with the whipping post on back. I do regular 120 mile round trips and I am not the slowest thing on the interstate, by a long shot. I have a friend with a custom sportster, with twice the engine displacement and he can not pull ahead of me until we reach 65. Through 3rd gear he is actually playing catch up as I can out accelerate him on the low end. His bike is now up for sale. He wants a boulevard. To top that all of I get twice the gas mileage. Yes we stop for me to get gas, as his 5 gallon tank hold much more, but topping of his tank when we fuel up, cost him almost twice as much as I spend at the pump. I also have no over heating in slow traffic. If  someone gave me a Harley, I would own it about as long as it takes to sell it on ebay. I could get a lot blingage for my thumper with cash from selling that over priced over rated piece of junk to some weekend warrior. As for old verses new thumpers    no comparison.

Hey Suzuki, give it up, it's still a SAVAGE !!!!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #110 - 02/07/08 at 04:54:58

Quote:
 I love all bikes, but I could go on for days about where each bike shines and doesn't. There are no perfect bikes for all types of riding, only ones that YOU like for YOUR type of riding.As long as you are satisfied with your bike, that is all that matters.     Hutch

AMEN

IP Logged
TheFid

WE Come Unclean.

U.K.  Morecambe
Reply #111 - 02/07/08 at 06:11:31

I`m not an expert biker,but i`ve had a few bikes including a 750 F1 superbike and a Triumph 900 thunderbird. I am now the proud owner of a 2003 Savage,I love this bike,not for its speed or handling but for everything i want in a bike at my age (69).I cannot imagine wanting to ride anything other than the SAVAGE 650.
ps.  My top speed to date recorded on the Sigma is 90.4.
That will do.

Take it easy.but TAKE IT.
Man does not cease to ride because he gets old,Man gets old because he ceases to RIDE.
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #112 - 02/07/08 at 06:43:37

My stock 06 S40 will do 70 all day long and still have enough left to pull to 80 with no problem.  I have run it at 70 for a total of around 350 miles in a day, and out of the total run that was around 450 miles, there were times when she was around 80.  I bought it brand new and it is completely stock.  I can run 65-70 on the highway and get around 62 MPG.  This is perfect for me, I perfer to cruise around 65 on the highway, and around 50-55 on country roads.  You just have to be careful and alert on the highways because of the light wieght.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #113 - 02/07/08 at 07:19:47

Bill67, Now you see what I mean about some bikes of the same model are faster. About a year ago I decided the bike needed lower rpm at 70mph and decided to come up with a way to convert to chain. A lot of people said there had to be something wrong with it, if I could only do 70 and it was redlined. I have been working on bikes for 40+ years and everything is correctly adjusted. Mine either needs more miles to loosen up, or it is a dog. It out accelerates most every Harley owner around here up to 60mph, but lacks top end. Since it cruises at 70-75mph all day, I don't care about top end. I can ride my used,$3000,now showing 7000 miles, Kawasaki 650 Triumph clone at 75-80 all day and still have 3000 rpm left, with a much more comfortable ride ,better handleing, and don't have to worry about cross winds or semi turbulance due to the extra 70 pounds of weight. It also out accellerates stock Harleys, to 90mph, and will due the 1/4 mile in 13.5seconds at 98mph. If my Savage is a dog, oh well, it is a pretty dog. Hutch

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #114 - 02/07/08 at 07:27:10

Mine new and stock,I went up to 80 once I have had  about 15 different bikes I know mine would do 85 for sure it was still pulling at 80 I weight 165.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #115 - 02/07/08 at 07:41:19

Bill67 With all the mods on mine it is struggling from 80mph to 90, and on a good day, laying on the tank will do 90.  I have been checked by a policeman friend of mine with radar, because the speedo is off with the chain conversion, and it has never went past a 75mph reading, that equates to a 88mph actual speed.   Hutch

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:25:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage reliability compared to Triunph/BSA/Norton?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.