Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Savage reliability compared to Triunph/BSA/Norton? (Read 1467 times)
Gort
Ex Member

Re: Savage reliability compared to Triunph/BSA/Nor
Reply #90 - 02/05/08 at 18:53:30

Paladin. wrote on 02/05/08 at 18:40:13:
Some people have no concept of really low performance.

I spent the summer of '64 in England, staying in Kent.  My uncle let me use his moped.  Rode it into London.  Had to push it up Shooter's Hill.

I rode a rented Suzuki 90 on a 160 mile round-trip Biloxi MS - New Orleans.

Had my 40 horse 4000 pound camper which I drove from L.A. to 100 Mile House BC (100 pounds/hp!)

Had a '54 Dodge pickup in '69 in Warner Robins GA -- flathead six.  When I bought it it had the front brake line pinched off and the right rear grabbed -- now THAT was pitiful braking.  Almost as bad as when I lost the master cylinder on my VW Beetle in Greece (which I drove a week using the hand brake.)

Had a Pinto -- the coupling between steering wheel and the rest of the steering stuff broke, so I had a rather large degree (15?) of slop.  Made staying in your own lane interesting.  An intake valve broke in the open position so that cylinder fired back into the intake.  I continued to work, drove home, pulled the plug wire from the offending cylinder.  Running on three cylinders my top speed dropped to about 25 mph.  Drove to and from work for a month before driving it to the junkyard.

Claiming the Savage has low performance/handling/braking is a joke.

A fine stable of racing vehicles.  I envy you.   By the way, did you score in England?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #91 - 02/05/08 at 19:27:49

KwakNut wrote on 02/05/08 at 09:54:20:
....my opinions were entirely fact-based and the product of experience of an awful lot of different bikes
Your "facts" are the deluded opinion of an adrenaline junkie.
Quote:
....it also accelerates slower than a portion of cars on the road.   That’s just so bad!  Except for supercars, no car should be faster accelerating than a full-sized bike - that’s just plain embarrassing!!
You are embarassed to ride anything slower than 99% of what's on the road?  Must suck to be you.  This is opinion, not fact.   Harley Davidsons are considered to be "full-sized" (or better) bikes.  I blew one off at a light driving the wife's cage -- a base bone stock 2 liter New Beetle.
Quote:
Like it or not it IS a very slow bike....
Opinion, not fact.  You obviously don't know what SLOW is.
Quote:
The handling is okay if you want woolly, imprecise handling and can't push the bike hard enough to feel flex in the poor frame, forks and shocks.
Your opinion, not fact, and disagreed with by many motorcycle expert in various magazine reviews.
Quote:
Yes, it stops....  it still needs better brakes.
Again, not fact -- simply the opinion of a speed freak who needs better brakes to avoid running into things because of excessive speed.  If you learn to control yourself you wouldn't need better brakes.
Quote:
...the Savage is a ... a low-grade performer.  Even 500cc budget twins like the Honda CB500, Kawasaki EN500, Suzuki GS500 out-perform the Savage in terms of power, brakes and handling....
More of your factless opinion.  Cite reputable comparison testing that shows these little twins out handle and out brake the Savage.  Give us the 0-40 times for these bikes.  "Performance" is more than "How fast can I go?"
Quote:
Fact – the Savage makes little power, unless somebody can put forward a case to suggest that under 30hp is good power??   Fact – it has faults, just read the forum.  Fact – it’s not a sharp handler – it’s just about okay for a cruiser.  Fact – it has weak brakes, they’re just about good enough – for a cruiser.  

It seems that if you pass off facts you will get flamed...

No, it is when you claim your biased opinion is factual.  Your posts are extremely short of facts.

WWW   IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #92 - 02/05/08 at 19:54:57

The End.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #93 - 02/06/08 at 02:02:30

bill67 wrote on 02/05/08 at 10:38:15:
kwaknut I think you like high rpm bikes Maybe thats the in thing in england because their cars are buzzy too.
I like both, and I don’t seek to compare the Savage with high-revving stuff.  It’s relative, but while I enjoy my ZX12 which revs to about 12k and still has strong mid-range and pulls clean and hard form 1500, I can’t stand the lighter race replicas – some of those things are revving to 16 or 18k,and have nothing useable below 8k.
However, for the Savage, I think a nice long stroke low-revving lump is perfect.  However, that lump should be producing more power than it does, and could have been made to do so at zero cost to Suzuki.  Bigger header bore, less restrictive exhaust port in the head casting, a little more compression (without becoming fuel sensitive) and a better cam profile would have cost nothing more to manufacture and we’d have a 45hp bike doing the same revs but with more torque and an even nicer ‘thump’.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #94 - 02/06/08 at 02:04:23

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 02/05/08 at 10:53:24:
What you have said over and over is if we're satisfied with our Savages, then we're deluding ourselves.  Well sir, there you are wrong.
Do you deliberately misquote, or are you just confused?  I did not say that.  I did not question that people should be satisfied with the bike – it’s a nice bike, and of course a proud owner will be satisfied.  There’s a difference between being satisfied with some limitations on a nice, characterful little bike and thinking it’s better than it is.  I said that if people think it handles well and has lots of power they are deluded – it has neither.  By all means be satisfied with 30hp and the Savage’s handling, but for goodness’ sake don’t claim that 30hp is lots of power.

Not everyone LIKES sport bikes (crotch rockets).  Personally, I hate them.  I think the people who ride them are testosterone deprived ignorant a$$holes who are trying to make up for the fact that they were born with no peni$....... But hey, that's just my OPINION.   I'm stating it AS AN OPINION.  Not like you.. .
What a gentleman you are.  That aside, I don’t want the Savage to be a crotch rocket, but it could have had a little more power, slightly better brakes and a stiffer front end.  That’s hardly wanting it to be a sports bike.

So, unless you wish to discuss the POSITIVES about the Savage with us, instead of preaching down to us ignorant huddled masses about just how dumb we are, then I invite you to take your OPINIONS elsewhere....
Very hospitable of you, I’m sure – but perhaps you missed the many comments I’ve made stating that I think the Savage is a great bike and I like it despite its flaws.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #95 - 02/06/08 at 02:06:32

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 02/05/08 at 11:53:00:
KwakNut, it seems to me that you are trying to compare the Savage/S40 with a sport bike and finding the Savage wanting. Suzuki must have done something right to be able to build and sell the Savage almost completely unchanged for over twenty years and still make a profit off of this bike.
I really wouldn’t want to compare it to a sports bike, I just think a few aspects could be just a little better and make a big difference to the bike.  I’ve ridden cruisers as well as sports bikes for years and chose the Savage because I really like it’s unique character.  It’s been unchanged because change costs money.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #96 - 02/06/08 at 02:07:40

Dark Savage wrote on 02/05/08 at 13:49:14:
So people don't misunderstand your intentions, opinions should at the very least be stated separate from facts. They should also probably have strong context clues that they are in fact opinion. If you don't then people might feel that you are abrasive or an @sshole.
Ok, my opinion is that 30hp from a 650 equates to is only 46hp per litre.  Some people may acknowledge that as fact.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #97 - 02/06/08 at 02:09:38

Polar_Pilot wrote on 02/05/08 at 14:48:34:
Look - he has an ax to grind with the Savage. Most riders/owners/readers here do not. End of story.
I don’t have an axe to grind with the bike, I think it’s a modern classic and I really like it.  I’ve said that time after time, but the baying mob chooses to ignore anything positive I say because I’ve had the gall to criticise their baby.
This started with me questioning claims that the bike has plenty of power and handles well – it doesn’t, unless ‘plenty of power’ means enough to pull out of a car park and ‘handles well’ means better than a trike.  I still like the bike, a lot, but it’s plain silly to suggest that the Savage is powerful.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #98 - 02/06/08 at 02:11:35

Paladin. wrote on 02/05/08 at 18:40:13:
Claiming the Savage has low performance/handling/braking is a joke.
I would have to agree that if you compare the Savage to a moped, a 50’s pickup, a 4-pot running on 3 cylinders and a Beetle with no brakes, it would comparatively be seen to have superb performance characteristics.  However, compare it to most bikes on the market and it is left wanting; thinking it’s a powerful bike shows limited experience - and vision.

« Last Edit: 02/06/08 at 08:43:09 by KwakNut »  

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #99 - 02/06/08 at 02:18:49

Paladin. wrote on 02/05/08 at 19:27:49:
Quote:
...the Savage is a ... a low-grade performer.  Even 500cc budget twins like the Honda CB500, Kawasaki EN500, Suzuki GS500 out-perform the Savage in terms of power, brakes and handling....
More of your factless opinion.  Cite reputable comparison testing that shows these little twins out handle and out brake the Savage.  Give us the 0-40 times for these bikes.  "Performance" is more than "How fast can I go?" No, it is when you claim your biased opinion is factual.  Your posts are extremely short of facts.
It wasn’t factless opinion until you chose to edit out the figures I provided (like 57bhp/115mph for the CB) then call it factless.  
Reputable comparison?  You know I can’t just put my hands on magazine reports, so you’re trying anything you can to discredit what is obviously true.   I’ve ridden all of those bikes, have you?
If you honestly think the Savage is not out-performed (by a long way) by bikes with almost twice the power, not much more weight, and bigger brakes, you have a lot of learning to do about bikes.
As for 0-40, who measures anything less than 0-60??

I’m not an adrenaline junkie, I just say it like it is.  And while I REALLY LIKE THE SAVAGE (how many times do I have to say this???), I’m not going to try to convince myself that it’s a powerful high performer.  It’s at the low end of the motorcycle performance scale, by any reasonable comparison, but it’s still a darned nice bike.

Accept that, and try to be a little less touchy.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #100 - 02/06/08 at 05:04:59

KwakNut wrote on 02/06/08 at 02:02:30:
However, for the Savage, I think a nice long stroke low-revving lump is perfect.  However, that lump should be producing more power than it does, and could have been made to do so at zero cost to Suzuki.  Bigger header bore, less restrictive exhaust port in the head casting, a little more compression (without becoming fuel sensitive) and a better cam profile would have cost nothing more to manufacture and we’d have a 45hp bike doing the same revs but with more torque and an even nicer ‘thump’.

And AGAIN...  Since you failed to read the first TWO explainations:

The stock performance you get is NOT the fault of Suzuki, the Savage or anyone involved in the production, distribution or sale of the motorcycle.  The reason you recieve a castrated thumper in the first place is due to stringent clean air regulations!

The bike has NO pollution contols.  In order to meet emissions standards, the engineers had NO CHOICE but to reduce its performance by restricting the engine.

Your gripes about the header, cam, exhaust and bore are bogus!  yes, the bike would perform MUCH better than it does stock.  But it would NOT MEET modern emissions standards.  THEREFORE IT COULD NOT BE SOLD!

If you want that kind of performance, YOU, the end user, will have to make the modifications (and suffer the consequences if ever subject to emissions testing).  It's your bike.  Do what you want.

BUT Don't continue to make broad statements like the bike IS UNDERPOWERED (No matter what we say).   It may be underpowered TO YOU.  That does not mean that WE find it underpowered.  That's the difference between FACT and OPINION....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
markrider

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #101 - 02/06/08 at 06:42:26

Hey, KwakNut,

IMO it's all about what makes each and every one of us feel good about ourselves riding in the breeze.  All I can tell you is I feel better about me thumping along on the Savage at 50MPH than I used to feel going 90 on my old 750 Nighthawk or blowing the Sportsters off with my H2 500 Kawasaki back in the 70's back in my days of misspent youth.  I've been riding since 1965 and I learned to be more tolerant and less judgemental about what works for others.  (Bet you never read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Persig)
We can all enjoy our rides while being less judgemental of others.
Markrider

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #102 - 02/06/08 at 08:52:57

markrider wrote on 02/06/08 at 06:42:26:
Hey, KwakNut,
IMO it's all about what makes each and every one of us feel good about ourselves riding in the breeze.  All I can tell you is I feel better about me thumping along on the Savage at 50MPH than I used to feel going 90 on my old 750 Nighthawk or blowing the Sportsters off with my H2 500 Kawasaki back in the 70's back in my days of misspent youth.  I've been riding since 1965 and I learned to be more tolerant and less judgemental about what works for others.  (Bet you never read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Persig)
We can all enjoy our rides while being less judgemental of others.
Markrider
I agree, it’s down to what bikes makes each of us tick.  I like the Savage, maybe not quite as much as some guys on here, but I really like it.  I’m not knocking anybody for having one, because I think it’s a great little bike.
The point I raised was that, nice though it is (full of character, value for money, good looking, easy to work on, fun to ride etc) it is not a powerful, high performance machine.
I challenged claims that it’s a powerful bike and a good handler.  That’s all, and some people have blown that way out of proportion.

I have read the book, by the way!  An old friend read it and recommended it.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #103 - 02/06/08 at 09:05:55

Kwak maybe to got the 400

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #104 - 02/06/08 at 09:37:01

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 02/06/08 at 05:04:59:
And AGAIN...  Since you failed to read the first TWO explainations:
The stock performance you get is NOT the fault of Suzuki, the Savage or anyone involved in the production, distribution or sale of the motorcycle.  The reason you recieve a castrated thumper in the first place is due to stringent clean air regulations!
The bike has NO pollution contols.  In order to meet emissions standards, the engineers had NO CHOICE but to reduce its performance by restricting the engine.
Your gripes about the header, cam, exhaust and bore are bogus!  yes, the bike would perform MUCH better than it does stock.  But it would NOT MEET modern emissions standards.  THEREFORE IT COULD NOT BE SOLD!
If you want that kind of performance, YOU, the end user, will have to make the modifications (and suffer the consequences if ever subject to emissions testing).  It's your bike.  Do what you want.
BUT Don't continue to make broad statements like the bike IS UNDERPOWERED (No matter what we say).   It may be underpowered TO YOU.  That does not mean that WE find it underpowered.  That's the difference between FACT and OPINION....
Actually no, I chose again to ignore your ‘explanations’ as they were bull.  
Put it like this.  I’m a chartered mechanical engineer, I’ve worked automotive industry, oil industry, been a military engineer the last 16 years, and I’ve built and modified an awful lot of bike and car engines (mostly V8s) over the last 25 years as my hobby/weekend business involves that kind of thing.  I’ve had to struggle sometimes to get cars through emissions, and that’s often come down to cam profiles being too radical – you go for a lot of overlap, and you get a lot of hydrocarbons coming out the pipe (which can be harder to deal with than CO).  I understand a lot about emissions and regulations (and, as an aside, I’ve known that there are 2 TDC positions for a bike when you’re setting the valves since I was about 12 years old, unlike some of us).

What makes you think it Suzuki had to restrict the bike so much to get it through emissions?  Wrong I'm afraid.  Why isn’t the Virago 535 only 30hp if that’s the case?  It costs a little more, but it’s not smothered in emissions kit.  
You seem to think it would be prohibitively expensive to mod it and get more power while keeping emissions down.  Wrong again.  Crankcase air recirculation would cost pennies.  Ignition re-curve would cost pennies.  Producing a different cam profile would cost zero – they’ll have loads of development profiles available to programme into the grinding machine anyway.  The compression ration doesn’t need to be that low, and the header diameter could be better.  
The first big restriction in the exhaust port is due to the spring seats sitting deep in the head and blanking off part of the port – that’s just down to Suzuki engineers concentrating on the engine’s looks and profile more than gas flow.  Better valve train design could have removed that obstruction in the casting.
There’s also a deliberate cast-in restriction to the exhaust port orifice.  That’s a factory restrictor.  As well as limiting flow, that will cause some premature scavenger wave reflection which will worsen emissions, guaranteed, not improve them.
The only thing that would be emissions-dependent would be jetting, needle and mixture screw setting, just like it is on every other bike.

When the Savage was launched emissions weren’t the problem they are now.  2006 EPA standard for a Class 3 motorcycle  is 1.4 grams per kilometer of HC + NOx  (Hydrocarbon + Oxides of Nitrogen) and 12 grams per kilometer of CO (Carbon Monoxide).  Suzuki could easily achieve that at virtually no cost for a Savage to produce another 10 or so hp.  The limit from 1980 to 2006 was 5g of hydrocarbons – that’s a piece of cake to achieve, so blows your emissions claim out of the water.

There are plenty of other, simple bikes (twins admittedly, but they’re hardly going to cost more to sort than a single) which produce much more specific horsepower than the Savage, and sail through emissions regs with hardly any emissions equipment on the bike.  Believe me, that little engine could produce more factory power and pass emissions if Suzuki had wanted it to.

So why does it only produce what it does?

Remember that the Savage, like many Japanese bikes, is built for the Japanese and European markets as well as the US.  Its design and application are very dependant on their markets.  What really IS more than coincidence is that there’s a European law for power limits on young riders with less than 2 years of experience which limits them to less than 33bhp.  There are similar rules in other European countries.  The advertising banners for the Savage in the UK whe it was launched were covered in references to it meeting the learner power limit.

That’s why the bike is only 31hp.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:21:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage reliability compared to Triunph/BSA/Norton?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.