Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reliability! (Read 237 times)
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reliability!
02/01/08 at 01:33:46

While searching for the place that does import them to the UK, I came across a Suzuki (General Forum) and this was the response to:-

Question
Has anybody got one of these imports?
A friend of mine who is 5' is considering getting one.
Any comments good or bad 'cos until today I'd never heard of 'em.

Answer 1
Don't, it'll scare the daylights out of him! The most scary handling bike I ever had the misfortune to ride. It handled worse tham my brothers wanky old CZ125!! Nuff said.

Answer 2
Import? They were a UK model for about 15 years. Mind you, hardly anyone bought one as they were criminally slow and handled like a tea trolley. You could possibly excuse that if they were reliable which they were definitely not. Probably the worst bike ever made by Suzuki, and one with more than 15k is almost unheard of. The only advantage for your vertically challenged friend is that it had a low seat height. Tell your friend to get a Virago 535 if he likes that sort of thing.

I am still getting used to mine, 100 mile done, so I cant comment on reliability yet, but it starts no Prob.

Do you think its "Sports Biker Predjudice"? Or is there areas of the Savage that can be unreliable so we need to keep an eye on it to have a "Stitch in Time"/"Nip it in the Bud" attitude.

I would like to hear comments

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Reliability!
Reply #1 - 02/01/08 at 02:56:49

Like everything else, if you do the maintenance at the right interval as the manufacturer suggested, it will last a long time. And then kicking in the factor of how you ride it (babying or gunning-it), it is another story. My bike was bought brand new and have giving me 4,000 trouble-free miles. I change oil every 1,000 miles. Yes, it's over kill on the oil change but I figure $6 of oil is cheaper than $600 of engine parts + labors. Reliability is relative to how it is being treated IMHO.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 02/01/08 at 04:52:05

if you run it out of oil, it will break.  Embarrassed it is a nuetral handling bike, a crotch rocket rider probably wouldn't like it. if the savage was a problem/burden or a poor sales performer to suzuki, they would not be into their 22nd year of virtually unchanged production.  Shocked

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 02/01/08 at 05:06:03

How do you reply to this......

First.... types of people...  there are several types of people in the world.  Those who think they have the best and everything else is junk (usually younger people and the ones that make the most noise) and those that understand that bikes have designs and you need to understand what the bike is designed for before hopping on.  Those that need a RUSH  and those that need the stress relief instead .  Those that actually do real work on their bikes,  those that pay for the work and those that ignore maintainence and complain when it breaks.    

Handling....  I went riding with a friend and his buddies.  Buddy on his recently purchased Honda Shadow 750 (vtwin) (hours earlier), his friends on two sport bikes (1 honda racer turned into a street legal, and one BMW 1200 sport bike).  We couldn't not keep up with the two friends....... so yea, the Savage & the Shadow don't "handle",.... but when we stoppped to stretch they talked about which turns they've gone off into the wood on (I don't want handling like that .....).    And many of these people talk about cafe racers,  but have you ever driven a '70 era Honda 750 four cyl,  the CAFE racer std.... that's scary.....

Slow....  yea,.. compared to a Suzuki sport bike (one of Suzuki's specialties) they are slow.  But it will easily do the speed limit,  and get there fast enough to have you holding on.  Yes, I've had the front tire in the air.... maybe 4 to 6 inches without trying.... so smooth I didn't know it was up until it came down when I shifted.   The Harley's in front of me were too heavy to get it up... Yes I was keeping up with the big "Fat-Boy" Harley's doing the "who can get to 55 mph the fastest".

Reliability??   Yea, the LS650 is an old design, which means you need to do the periodic maintainence.  Some SPORT bikes can go a bit longer in between, but not much.  And, on the LS650, fliuds are oil and front brake.  SPORT bike is brakes F & R, oil and raditor and some  rear shocks.   Next, look at one of the SPORT bikes.....then think about adjusting or rejetting the carbs..... can you even find them??      

And,  22 years,  how many SPORT bikes model stay in production more than 10.

I can go on & on......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 02/01/08 at 05:28:51

Oy Vey!!

Short answer:  20+ years virtually unchanged means it is the best in it's class.

It's a THUMPER.  Thumpers apeal to a vey small group of people.  For the most part we are not impressed by unusable peak HP, we know that what gets you moving is torque and for a given displacement nothing out-torques a single cylinder engine.  For it's displacement it is among if not the slowest bike for top speed.  It can pick up a speeding ticket on any road in the world that has any limit.  What more do you need?  It is not a sport bike and riden to the limits a sportbike will spank the Savage in the twisties.  I am not a skilled racer as the only way to find the limits of your bike is to excede them -- and I rather not fall slide crash etc..  BUT.    I've taken Thumper on the Angles Crest and Ortega highways . . . while I did not pass any sport bikes, no sport bike passed me.

As a thumper it has a few quirks that might upset some people.  In a slow tight turn, if you don't ride the clutch the bike has a lunge-lunge-lunge behaviour from the widespread power pulses.

Bottom line, while not the absolute best performer it is more than capable of any reasonable task.  If it wasn't then it would not still be on the market.

Reliability?  As others note, change the oil regularly.

I'm abusive to vehicles.  Horribly.  People still tell stories of what I did 40 years ago; and I haven't impoved much.

Thumper, a Y2K with 5K miles, was delivered to the house Aug. 15th, 2004 -- riden up from Laguna Hills by it's owner who was diven back home by the new owner.  THEN I took the MSF course, licensed, insured and rode to work Oct. 14th, 2004.  Been riding nearly evey day since, well over 1000 days and 17K miles (almost 23K on the clock now.)  Did a 570 mile day followed by a 510 mile day.  I do try to change the oil and filter regularly, mostly do on a 3 to 4K basis.

But I have never even touched the spark plug, nor have I checked the valve adjustment.  And it still runs FINE.  You have to be stupid abusive to kill this thing.  When (not if) I kill Thumper his replacement will be a new S40.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 02/01/08 at 05:42:40

Then, on the other hand, it is a good all around bike that is fun to ride.
Did ya'll say that already?  Well, doesn't hurt to repeat some things.

Wink

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #6 - 02/01/08 at 07:27:19

I'm glad the first responder has never ridden a MC with scarier handling (probably means they haven't ridden many). The Savage is a small light cruiser and handles as such. This is good and bad, but there are a lot worse handling MCs out there.

As far as reliability, there really isn't a whole lot to go wrong. Proper maintenance, a repair here and there, but I've been reading this forum and others for a couple of years, and really haven't seen anything alarming about the Savage.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 02/01/08 at 07:34:34

And you don't see any LS650's on the recall list.  

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/01/suzuki/index.html

Grin Cool Wink Smiley Roll Eyes

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 02/01/08 at 07:50:02

Maybe it's the weather?  Our temps are moderate and dry compared to the UK.

Sportbikers comments about a cruiser?  All opinions are biased.

The cg of the bike is low and the forks have quite a bit of rake.  Hense it is a little harder to turn if you don't know how.  Once you do it is easy as pie.

Reliability?  I got mine with 16k on the odometer.  At 20k, I did the required cam chain maintenance.  Which if ignored, would kill the bike somewhere between 10 and 30k.  I'm now up to 26k with nary a wanky day that wasn't a routine maintenance issue (tires, battery)

Performance?  Rejet it and you'll be very happy and it will still have fairly good gas mileage.

I'm my own mechanic, so my costs are parts only.  So it's economical.

My friends number in the 1000's and are around the world.  It's a bike to have fun on... my kind of fun.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 02/02/08 at 06:40:14

I think they are just full of crap.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 02/02/08 at 07:24:33

Greg, that's BS

WWW   IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #11 - 02/02/08 at 22:47:45

I think it handles fine.  I hadn't ridden for 12 years or so when I test-rode mine, and nothing struck me as funny about the handling.  My old bikes were standard-position Suzuki 1100s, and I found the cruiser seating to be quite comfortable.  Bah; in Europe everybody expects everything to sound and feel like a sewing machine running.   Cheesy

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 02/03/08 at 04:26:00

verslagen1 wrote on 02/02/08 at 07:24:33:
Greg, that's BS

Okay.  Bull Crap.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:23:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reliability!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.