Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel Shutoff Valve (petcock) (Read 163 times)
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Portland/Corpus Christi, TX.
Fuel Shutoff Valve (petcock)
01/30/08 at 19:45:02

I have an '03 LS650, bought about 3 weeks ago. Anyhow, I am having a problem with the fuel shutoff valve; I turn it to the OFF position (to the right), but the fuel doesn't seem to shutoff (I can run the bike fine with it in the OFF position, have rode up to 20 miles before turning the bike off on my own). Just curious if this means I have a bad petcock, and what the risks are for having it on continuously. If it is a bad situation, how hard is it to replace that valve? I have looked in the Clymer manual, but it says very little about the subject. Any help is highly appreciated!

Ian

"Life is like a bath; the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get!" -Garfield
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Fuel Shutoff Valve (petcock)
Reply #1 - 01/30/08 at 19:49:55

Aaaaaa ....  if it's a LS650 look close at the lettering.  
RES, ON and PRI .....  no OFF.  

There is a vacuum hose on the back that acts as the switch.  Turn off bike, vacuum goes away, the spring pushes the valve close.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Reply #2 - 01/30/08 at 20:06:38

Yeah, there isn't an OFF sign on it... I just figured when you had it in the position that should be OFF, it wouldn't allow any fuel through at all. I am relating this to the Honda Rebel I had during last summer... when you switched the petcock to OFF, it really meant OFF! I know I had forgotten to turn it ON a couple of times before taking off, and let me tell you, it was a surprise after going about a half mile and the bike just cutting off on me!  Shocked

"Life is like a bath; the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get!" -Garfield
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/30/08 at 20:09:37

Hey Ian, welcome to the club.

First, you should get a couple of manuals, the owners manual shows the basic operation of various features of the bike, such as the petcork aka fuel shutoff valve.

There isn't an off position because it is operated by vacuum.  I.E. when the engine is on so is the valve.  when it's off so is the valve.  the normal position of the lever is straight down.

Mine leaks abit even when off, but it hasn't caused a problem yet but I'm keeping an eye on it.

The second manual (or third) is the clymer's or suzuki shop manual (SSM for short).  There's a link somewhere on site posted just last week regarding a electronic copy at a library that can be acessed online.

WWW   IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/30/08 at 20:14:02

And when on prime, fuel will flow without bike running, so if your going to let it sit for a while, make sure it is on, or res. If not, and if the float needle leaks, the engine will fill up with fuel.

IP Logged
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Reply #5 - 01/30/08 at 20:14:45

Thanks verslagen and Mack! I didn't get an owners manual with the bike; I bought a Clymer 1986-2004 manual and couldn't find the info for it.

One question though... when I am not using the bike, should I have the fuel valve in the straight up and down position, or should I have it to the right (what I consider off, opposite from the Reserve)?

Ian

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/30/08 at 20:20:06

leave it straight down all the time.

if you hadn't riden it in a long time and the carb has gone dry, switch to prime to start then back to on.

when you are low on fuel switch to reserve to get you to a gas station.

if you can't find the owners manual online email me your address and I'll send it to you.

WWW   IP Logged
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Reply #7 - 01/30/08 at 20:24:56

Okay... thanks! I am going to put it straight down. So, to prime it, you just switch it to the right (opposite of the reserve setting)?

I will look for a owners manual on eBay. If you know of a site that has an online owner's manual, I would appreciate the link. Thanks!

Ian

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 01/30/08 at 22:17:31

You've got to read the petc0ck.  They are all different and besides, since when was there a rule that "to the right" is off?

Since I know the previous owner wasn't kind enough to give you the owners manual with the bike (they always keep them), go ahead and order a Clymer manual and one of my CDs.  I have lots of petc0ck pictures for you to look at Tongue

IP Logged
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/31/08 at 03:13:55

txsizzler wrote on 01/30/08 at 20:24:56:
Okay... thanks! I am going to put it straight down. So, to prime it, you just switch it to the right (opposite of the reserve setting)?

I will look for a owners manual on eBay. If you know of a site that has an online owner's manual, I would appreciate the link. Thanks!

Ian

It is on this Forum elsewhere and you can find it with a bit of patience,
However as you dont need patience, cos its here again Grin

http://home.comcast.net/~kenglong/2002_Suzuki_Savage_LS650P_Owners_Manual.pdf Wink

IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #10 - 01/31/08 at 07:40:23

verslagen1 wrote on 01/30/08 at 20:09:37:
The second manual (or third) is the clymer's or suzuki shop manual (SSM for short).  There's a link somewhere on site posted just last week regarding a electronic copy at a library that can be acessed online.

Anybody got a link for this?

WWW   IP Logged
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Reply #11 - 01/31/08 at 08:18:03

Thanks for the linky Lazy! I have saved a copy.. will do me wonders! (Not to mention, save me a few $$$)  Cheesy

Ian

IP Logged
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/31/08 at 11:10:07

Prophet_10 wrote on 01/31/08 at 07:40:23:
verslagen1 wrote on 01/30/08 at 20:09:37:

Anybody got a link for this?

it is

stoner wrote on 01/26/08 at 04:55:33:
Greetings from the great White North, man its cold here today, Minus 20C. Can't wait for summer,  Anyway....

Came across this site while searching for info on my Tracker 4X4.
http://www.bedlib.org/ebsco.html
The site is the Bedford Library and has numerous online manuals including the savage
when you enter the site, click on "auto repair reference center"
it will ask you for a User ID:  library
Password is: library
Go to the "small engine repair Reference Center"
and your in, you will see the "motorcycle icon" for the motorcycle repair manuals.

Hope this is of use to someone

Cheers

It is broken down into sections by a Librarian, so sometimes it refers to a picture or page not in that download, but with detective work the information is there. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 21:59:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Shutoff Valve (petcock)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.