Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help with buying a Savage! (Read 308 times)
lexx9
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Help with buying a Savage!
01/30/08 at 18:54:11

I done the riders course last summer and I bought a 1983 Honda Cm450 for my first bike. This spring I am going to purchase a fairly new if not brand new ride.
      I would love to get a Savage but am wondering if will seem like stepping down compared to the CM450. The Cm 450 is physically bigger( I am 5. 11 and 190 lbs) also the CM is rated for 47hp . The other side is I am some what intimated by how wide almost all the new bikes are.
     I mostly do in town riding with scattered short trips on the highway. I live in a small rural town with about 3500 people so its mostly back roads. Any opinions would be great. I just don't want to spend my money and be disappointed.  Thanx lexx9

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Help with buying a Savage!
Reply #1 - 01/30/08 at 19:04:20

Whats the zero to 60 time on the Honda? Do you need to run steady at 80 mph? If your general ride is across town or 30 mile jaunts, the 650 is a great choice. Longer rides are no problem, really. one guy ran over 11,000 on a trip.I think its a great bike & if you arent looking to increase performance & jack with the sound, the MPG is pretty danged good. Not bad even after doing stuff to it. My daughter got 51 MPG on one I had put a Supertrapp on, w/14 disks, a 150 main jet & a performance cam. Also removed the innerwall from the header.. so, it has been modified some,,51 mpg & runs good. I wouldnt buy new. I DID, but I didnt know about this forum, or I would mosdt likely have bought used. WELCOME!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 01/30/08 at 19:14:08

I'm 6'3" and ride,and own two of them'86&'87.It's a little small but that will be fixed soon with new forward controls.I think the horsepower is a little overated for the Honda.I've ridden them plus I have a CL450 and they don't run like the Savage.My Harley is only around 50hp and it's 1200cc.I like the lightness of the Savage for quick manuvering.Plenty of torque to get out of situations.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Portland/Corpus Christi, TX.
Reply #3 - 01/30/08 at 20:03:35

I just started riding in May of 2007, with the purchase of a Honda Elite 80 scooter. That started my love with riding. In June of '07, I got a great deal on a 2006 Honda Rebel 250cc bike, and that really improved my technique, got me used to shifting gears, and even though the bike was a real lightweight, I started to truly understand the dynamics of riding.

In October of 2007, I sold off the Rebel, and got a super deal on a 2002 Kawasaki 1500 Mean Streak (11k miles, V&H Straightshots, Memphis Shades Windshield, etc.). Between selling the Rebel and the buying of the Kawi, I was out only $3300. Talk about a change! Going from a 250cc to a 1500cc monster was like night and day! The weight difference was huge too.. from 335 lbs, to around 800lbs! Thus, there was a bit of intimidation when moving up this fast, but let me tell you.. the exhiliration is like nothing you have ever felt before!

I bought my 2003 Savage three weeks ago (another great deal... has only 3040 miles, came with the saddlebags, got it for $1350). Still have the Kawi. I absolutely LOVE the Savage.. going back to something that lightweight, something that small, something SOOO maneuverable, is just WONDERFUL! This bike can do well on the freeway, or in town. I actually like the occasional backfire.. adds a certain charm to the bike. Plus, it just looks great!

So, to answer your question, I think it would be fine for you to get a Savage. You will really appreciate the things it has to offer, and if you keep your Honda, you will have two bikes to switch on and off from. The Savage is a unique beast; unlike anything you have ever rode before. Enjoy!

Ian

"Life is like a bath; the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get!" -Garfield
  IP Logged
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/31/08 at 04:05:12

In the UK as an adult, (16 year olds are restricted to 50cc) you are only allowed "learn on a bike with 125 cc.

After a test is passed on a 125, then you can go up to 33BHP (for two years), approx a 250cc "Modern Bike", though the Savage is a 650cc 33 BHP, so there must be a lot more Torque Available.

(Over 21 year olds can take a "Direct Access" test via a school on a 650CC bike providing they are in radio communication with an examiner or instructor, all the time that they are riding it.)

So a Learner Bike is 125 "Light Bike"and the Savage is classed as a Motorbike, and all else from a Bandit to a Hayabusa or Goldwing are classed as Heavy Motorbikes.

We find that the 125 is good at town commuting, but when you need to open it up on a highway there is something lacking.

33BHP Machines are adequate All Rounders and the Savage is Excellent for the "Vertically Challenged", Though a "Knee Down" Power Ranger (Matching Leathers etc), find that it is inadequate on the Power Front, though they do tend to forget about speed limits etc.

I have found that the Savage is Adequate to ride even with two up and "Slow" vehicles can be passed safely.

As for riding on Dirt Roads not a lot here, "C***P roads yes but dirt no, I am not so sure re the Belt Drive and picking up grit etc, though I have read here about guys putting on a Chain Conversion.

So again it is another endorsement to a Savage, the next move may and it is a may now, be a Kwak Drifter or if the money is there a Victory Vegas Low, but that is just in the indeterminate future.

Whatever you choose enjoy it

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 01/31/08 at 04:35:06

lexx9 wrote on 01/30/08 at 18:54:11:
...I would love to get a Savage but am wondering if will seem like stepping down compared to the CM450. The Cm 450 is physically bigger( I am 5. 11 and 190 lbs) also the CM is rated for 47hp ....

That is 47 PEAK horsepower -- at what RPM?  What hp is being produced at more reasonable RPMs?  What is the torque rating?  For a given displacement a single cylinder produces the most torque.  Torque is what gives you neck snapping acceleration, not hp.  HP gives you high end performance, top speed.

Some while back one of our lady Savages reported about a sport bike making noises at a stoplight.  When the green came she left him in the dust.  The Savage is, IMO, the ideal city bike.  In addition it is more than acceptable on county lanes and in the twisties; and even capable of touring as long as you are comfortable sticking to speed limits.

WWW   IP Logged
sharon

love life

Reply #6 - 01/31/08 at 04:59:25

If you're not sure about the s40 check out the s50. I bought one a few weeks ago, I kept my thumper but I wanted something a little bigger for some of the long trips we have planned this summer.

I'm like you I didn't what a bike that felt chunky when I sat on it. The s50 is the same as the s40 but different. It fells like the s40 when you sit on it, it has the smaller drag style bars, the narrow tank and seat and it doesn't feel heavy. It's a 800 vtwin instead of a single. I haven't had a chance to get out and ride because of the weather but I think I love it as much as I do the thumper.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 01/31/08 at 05:25:07

If almost all your riding is as described, assuming that the Savage "fits" your riding position, you will not be disappointed or looking for a different ride anytime soon.

However, you might want to ask yourself why you are looking to change - is it just to get something "new?" If so, does new to you mean modern? The technology on a Savage is not modern. This is what makes the Savage appeal to a lot of people (I ride a MC designed 20 plus years ago). Other people want a modern MC with fuel injection, computers etc. If this is the only reason for changing, how soon will you be wanting another MC. My point is that if you are going to change MC's every year, go for the Savage this year and something new next year.

lexx9 wrote on 01/30/08 at 18:54:11:
     I mostly do in town riding with scattered short trips on the highway. I live in a small rural town with about 3500 people so its mostly back roads. Any opinions would be great. I just don't want to spend my money and be disappointed.  Thanx lexx9

IP Logged
lexx9
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 01/31/08 at 12:59:03

Thanks for all the advice. I am looking for something newer meaning a new bike. My bike is fine but its 25 years old and not as reliable as I would like. I am not worried about the tech side of it I'm of the school the simpler the better? Thanks again lexx9

IP Logged
Dark Savage
YaBB Newbies

Austin, TX
Reply #9 - 01/31/08 at 13:30:17

lexx9 wrote on 01/31/08 at 12:59:03:
I am not worried about the tech side of it I'm of the school the simpler the better? Thanks again lexx9

Can't get much simpler than the Savage/S40. One carb, one cylinder, air cooled, belt drive is about as simple as it gets.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 01/31/08 at 14:34:27

IT IS SIMPLE, DEPENDABLE, INEXPENSIVE, AND IS GREAT FOR THE AROUND TOWN AND COMMUTE STUFF.  THE LOW AND MIDRANGE TORQUE, COMBINED WITH ITS MANEUVERABLILITY MAKE A VERY ATTRACTIVE RIDING PACKAGE.

IP Logged
lexx9
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 01/31/08 at 14:41:53

What do the 2008 S40 go for new in the US? Here in Canada its $6200.00.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #12 - 01/31/08 at 15:38:31

Depends on where in the U.S..  Here in LaLaLand you can get an out the door quote from http://www.otdcyclesports.com/  -- out the door means it's the price you pay to ride away, bike, tax, license, registration, setup, delievery, extras, you name it.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 01/31/08 at 15:47:30

Around $4800 out the door

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #14 - 01/31/08 at 20:40:43

got access to my e-mail, otdcyclesports wrote me:
Quote:
Thank You! You are on your way to saving big dollars on your Suzuki 07 S40 BOULEVARD. Todays price is $4,199 OUT THE DOOR, including all applicable taxes, registration, and document fees. We do not charge any freight, set-up, or destination charges.

Sometimes it is good to be sitting in the middle 4,850 sq.miles holding 13 million people.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:24:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with buying a Savage!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.