Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
moving out to AZ hot weather riding (Read 377 times)
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
moving out to AZ hot weather riding
01/29/08 at 18:12:01

Hey all I tried a search on hot weather riding and I guess I didn't fine much.

Here is the question I am moving out to AZ Pheniox for school and I

was woundering if my motorcycle will have a problem with the

summer heat?  I use sythetic oil.  Will my bike over heat and die? I

will have to get to school for noon.  High heat of the day.

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: moving out to AZ hot weather riding
Reply #1 - 01/29/08 at 18:42:49

Mobil 1, parent to all FULL synthetics, was developed by a Mobile chemical engineer for jet engines (which have bearings, by the way) which get warmer than hot in normal use.  The oils were very thin by car standards but the guy put it in his own car because he had tested the stuffing out of the new synthetic oil against all existing oils and he knew what Mobil 1 could do.  

His car didn't blow up and lasted well over 100,000 miles and he took the cam in to work to measure the lobes when he had to take it down for a part cracking and breaking.  He blew his boss and his buddies minds, the cam was barely starting to wear on the lobes at all.

He further blew their minds when he told him he had just changed the oil filter every year and kept the oil topped up -- he had never changed the oil, ever.

Mobil 1 oil was born as a commercial product the next year.  It is the only oil any of the big three will put in a turbo charged engine because the turbos don't cook it and plug up their little oil bearing passages (a perennial very expensive warranty problem with turbo equipped sports cars).   All Corvettes get Mobil 1, only oil that is recommended period for those highly stressed engines.

Lots of water over the dam since then.  Synthetics have become better and more diverse.  The rule of thumb remains the same -- if it runs hot, put a full synthetic in it to have trouble free performance.  I run 15w50 in my Savage -- for peace of mind in any forseeable thermal conditions.  

I do change my oil, BTW, because our clutches put out bits of cork, our trannys and cam chains lay down tiny bits of metal and our big pistons do blow some by when the engine is cold.  I ain't foolish cheap.  

I follow BMW oil change practices now (another company that has gone over to 100% synthetic oil as they pride their vehicles on lasting a long long long time).

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Reply #2 - 01/29/08 at 19:33:03

Thanks for the info Oldfeller. Smiley

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/29/08 at 19:53:48

Your bike will be fine. Just remember it is'nt fan cooled, so if you idle a lot in traffic, shorten you oil change intervals, regardles of what kinda oil you use. If you can manage, and oil cooler will help. I use that Mobil 1 stuff, and have since break in, but not because I like, but because I'm doing a long term comparison. I have another 650,air cooled,4 valve, single that has only gotten Castrol 20/50 car oil, and has been riden hard with over 26,000 miles to date. No signs of stoping yet. No matter what oil you run NEVER extend you change intervals, oil gets contaminated. Aditives loose effectiveness, but the oil never wears out(conventional). Look at an engine that has only run on propane, and compare that to a gasoline burner, its plane to see why oil  contamination, is the main factor for oil change. There is a large dam outside of Pheniox, that has absoluty no water around it anywhere, kinda apocoliptic looking. Is "school" MMI?

IP Logged
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Reply #4 - 01/29/08 at 20:12:50

Yup MMI you know any thing about it? Any good thought on studying?

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/29/08 at 20:31:41

I thought it was nice school. I stayed a week in Pheniox with a friend, who graduated from the Harley course there. They have everything except the desire to learn, thats up to you. If you want to party, there is plenty of that to do there, but if you want to succede at learning, it'll take a lot of grit. If you start feeling burnt out, just hop up to the Grand Canyon for the weekend, its cheaper thru the gate on a bike anyway. Enjoy.

IP Logged
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Reply #6 - 01/29/08 at 20:40:27

I have the desire to learn big time. I cant wait. I hope I can get full Fedr finan Aid and Pell Grant. Just did the phone interview Monday.

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/29/08 at 21:28:01

Onederer wrote on 01/29/08 at 19:53:48:
Your bike will be fine. Just remember it is'nt fan cooled, so if you idle a lot in traffic, shorten you oil change intervals, regardless of what kinda oil you use. If you can manage, and oil cooler will help. I use that Mobil 1 stuff, and have since break in, but not because I like, but because I'm doing a long term comparison. I have another 650,air cooled,4 valve, single that has only gotten Castrol 20/50 car oil, and has been riden hard with over 26,000 miles to date. No signs of stoping yet. No matter what oil you run NEVER extend you change intervals, oil gets contaminated. Aditives loose effectiveness, but the oil never wears out(conventional). Look at an engine that has only run on propane, and compare that to a gasoline burner, its plane to see why oil  contamination, is the main factor for oil change. There is a large dam outside of Pheniox, that has absoluty no water around it anywhere, kinda apocoliptic looking. Is "school" MMI?

Shortly after Mobil 1 was introduced to the public,  a monthly magazine called "Road Test" did a photo article concerning it.  They took 2 new identical V8 engines into a lab and dismantled them, micrometer measuring and recording all the tolerances.  The engines were re-assembled and both run non stop for the equivalent of 100,000 miles.  One engine used a top grade of conventional oil and filters, all changed according to the engine manufacturer's suggested service interval.  The other engine used Mobil 1 and the oil and filter were never changed.  Upon disassembly and inspection of the parts, the conventional oil engine tolerances were what would be expected of a 100,00 mile engine.  The Mobil 1 engine's tolerances were within factory specs for a new engine.  All of this was shown in photographs.  I've tried to buy the back issue of road test that had this article, but could never find it.  They also did a surprising test of Chevron gasoline.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #8 - 01/30/08 at 02:59:56

Oldfeller/Onederer/Gort

Some interesting conversation on oils here! Oldfeller and Gort’s tales are true – I used to work for Mobil as a technical sales engineer in the UK, working with industrial and automotive end-applications.  The Mobil 1 series is simply the best – by far.

Mobil 1 History.  Since a fellow called JR Ewing pioneered vacuum distillation of lube oils and set up Vaccuum Oil a long time ago, which became SOCONY Vacuum, then Mobile, then Mobil, Mobil Oil has been the market leader in lube technology.  Exxon, Texaco, Amoco, Shell, BP – all the other big players have accepted that, and focussed elsewhere.  

Synthetics.  Mobil took it further and led the synthetics market.  Most lube oils are distilled from crude to separate out molecules with about a 30-carbon structure.  They’re all sorts of shapes, being isomers, but with about the same chemical structure.  Because they are all uneven shapes, with some like crosses, some like Christmas trees or whatever and the odd one a straight line, they have varying levels of resistance to thermal or physical breakdown.  The Mobil 1 range is made from gas!  They’re polyalphaolefins, which means the approx 30-weight carbon molecules are polymerised from C2 gas to make lovely perfect straight carbon chains, every time.  And guess what – Mobil patented the manufacturing process.  All the others have to make do with purification processes to try to emulate what Mobil does.  Lots of smaller companies make very expensive specialty synthetic high performance and racing oils.  Ask yourself whether they have the billion-dollar backing to conduct the research that Mobil does, or whether they have a few hundred million in a bottom drawer to make a synthetic polymerisation plant at one of their refineries.  It’s a bit like wondering whether a BMW M5 is better engineered than a home-built hotrod.  The very same, exact same, Mobil 1 oil you can buy at a gas station is what’s put in fomula one engines – think on that.

Why synthetics are better.  The straight carbon chains of the synthetic are just incredible – they are highly resistant to thermal breakdown, which is why they’re often the only lubes to deal with very hot high performance engines.  They also break down less under physical stress- like between gear teeth, and they rub less against each other microscopically, so you actually get less friction – and therefore less heat/more power/less fuel!!  (change engine oil, gear oil, diff oil and hub grease for synthetics and you gain 2.5-4%).

Test results.  I’ve seen European engines come off test beds after programmes like the one described by Gort and with exactly the same results.  You can easily double the life of an engine by using Mobil 1.  With gearboxes, where contamination is less of a deal, we saw 500% increases in industrial trials.  Yes – 5x life extension.

Oil never wears out? Onederer, your statement that conventional oil never wears out isn’t entirely true.  You’re quite right that the main problem is additives losing their effectiveness – especially the detergent/dispersant package being used up.  Oil will thicken with accumulation of suspended carbon, and thin with accumulation of fuel contamination – maybe a combination of both.  It also may suffer from suspended water (it’s designed to safely hold a few percent water) and metal contaminants, though most debris and bits should be pulled out by the filter.  Viscosity improvers will break down over time, but that just narrows the oil’s viscosity range. However, there’s another factor, which is break down of the base oil itself.  The actual base stock will eventually oxidise, and that happens a lot quicker with normal oils than with synthetics, especially Mobil 1.  Eventually it gets tired, though it can be recycled by filtering through clay beds to get rid of the crap.

Change intervals.  Also, you can extend change intervals with synthetics.  Some haulage companies are now running 100,000 mile oil change cycles with synthetics with regular filter changes, and they’re still getting extended life over mineral oils.  We used to run our company cars on it and usually double the recommended change periods.  We also had the facility to take out some of the old oil and get full lab sample tests done.  The results always showed that the Mobil 1 was performing better and protecting better at 20000 miles than a mineral oil could brand new.  No bull, just tested proof.  I run double change intervals with normal filter changes.  My turbodiesel car has 180000 miles on the clock from doing this, runs sweet, burns no oil and still returns 50 miles to the gallon.

Bike vs car oil.  Some people are concerned that car oils have different addictives which are not suitable for bikes.  Two suggestions I’ve heard are that there are too many friction improvers in car oils for bike clutches, and that the car oil doesn’t have enough detergent dispersant pack for a bike, especially a twin, and you’re better with a diesel car oil.  I’ve run a LOT of bikes on Mobil 1, including several tuned bikes that have really pushed the clutch to its limits, but I’ve never had a slippage problem.  As for detergent levels, you can run a diesel on Mobil 1 – so it’s not exactly short of detergents!.  If a bike has clutch problems, that’s because it has clutch problems.  Maybe there are a few models out there that have too little reserve strength built into the clutch and they can be a problem with a better oil, but that’s going to be a very rare problem.
Also, just for the record, in many cases the difference between the bike oil and the car oil is the label.

Synthetic myths.  The early synthetic oils were based on other chemistry – like glycols for instance – and were incompatible with conventional mineral oils.  That is not the case with Mobil 1.  It’s chemically the same as your mineral oil base stock, just a purer version of it.  So, if anybody tells you you have to be careful where you use Mobil 1 or that you have to flush the old oil out first, just nod your head and ignore them.  Think of it as the Mobil 1 being a blueprinted machine assembly, while the others are Friday afternoon rush jobs.  It will mix happily with other oils and it is exactly the same in terms of compatibility with seals and other laterials.  I would advise using a simple mineral oil for bedding in, say 500  miles, but that's all.

Manual transmissions.  Put Mobilube SHC in your axle (differentials need EP additives), but Mobil 1 is great for gearboxes.  Most manual transmissions just don’t need special lubes, and the oil industry has been laughing for decades while charging for them, because all you really need in a gearbox is a straight oil, with virtually no additives.  Expensive gear oils are just overkill when your engine oil, bought cheaper by the gallon, will do just as well, if not better.

Over in the UK we have a chain of motor accessory outlets which sell their own brand of synthetics – but I happen to know that it is Mobil 1, filled into rebranded containers by Mobil at their blending and packing plant.  So the choice is $80 for a gallon in a Mobil can, or $50 for a gallon in a re-branded can.  No-brainer!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Reply #9 - 01/30/08 at 05:29:52

KwakNut wrote on 01/30/08 at 02:59:56:
Oldfeller/Onederer/Gort

Some interesting conversation on oils here! Oldfeller and Gort’s tales are true – I used to work for Mobil as a technical sales engineer in the UK, working with industrial and automotive end-applications.  The Mobil 1 series is simply the best – by far.

Mobil 1 History.  Since a fellow called JR Ewing pioneered vacuum distillation of lube oils and set up Vaccuum Oil a long time ago, which became SOCONY Vacuum, then Mobile, then Mobil, Mobil Oil has been the market leader in lube technology.  Exxon, Texaco, Amoco, Shell, BP – all the other big players have accepted that, and focussed elsewhere.  

Synthetics.  Mobil took it further and led the synthetics market.  Most lube oils are distilled from crude to separate out molecules with about a 30-carbon structure.  They’re all sorts of shapes, being isomers, but with about the same chemical structure.  Because they are all uneven shapes, with some like crosses, some like Christmas trees or whatever and the odd one a straight line, they have varying levels of resistance to thermal or physical breakdown.  The Mobil 1 range is made from gas!  They’re polyalphaolefins, which means the approx 30-weight carbon molecules are polymerised from C2 gas to make lovely perfect straight carbon chains, every time.  And guess what – Mobil patented the manufacturing process.  All the others have to make do with purification processes to try to emulate what Mobil does.  Lots of smaller companies make very expensive specialty synthetic high performance and racing oils.  Ask yourself whether they have the billion-dollar backing to conduct the research that Mobil does, or whether they have a few hundred million in a bottom drawer to make a synthetic polymerisation plant at one of their refineries.  It’s a bit like wondering whether a BMW M5 is better engineered than a home-built hotrod.  The very same, exact same, Mobil 1 oil you can buy at a gas station is what’s put in fomula one engines – think on that.

Why synthetics are better.  The straight carbon chains of the synthetic are just incredible – they are highly resistant to thermal breakdown, which is why they’re often the only lubes to deal with very hot high performance engines.  They also break down less under physical stress- like between gear teeth, and they rub less against each other microscopically, so you actually get less friction – and therefore less heat/more power/less fuel!!  (change engine oil, gear oil, diff oil and hub grease for synthetics and you gain 2.5-4%).

Test results.  I’ve seen European engines come off test beds after programmes like the one described by Gort and with exactly the same results.  You can easily double the life of an engine by using Mobil 1.  With gearboxes, where contamination is less of a deal, we saw 500% increases in industrial trials.  Yes – 5x life extension.

Oil never wears out? Onederer, your statement that conventional oil never wears out isn’t entirely true.  You’re quite right that the main problem is additives losing their effectiveness – especially the detergent/dispersant package being used up.  Oil will thicken with accumulation of suspended carbon, and thin with accumulation of fuel contamination – maybe a combination of both.  It also may suffer from suspended water (it’s designed to safely hold a few percent water) and metal contaminants, though most debris and bits should be pulled out by the filter.  Viscosity improvers will break down over time, but that just narrows the oil’s viscosity range. However, there’s another factor, which is break down of the base oil itself.  The actual base stock will eventually oxidise, and that happens a lot quicker with normal oils than with synthetics, especially Mobil 1.  Eventually it gets tired, though it can be recycled by filtering through clay beds to get rid of the crap.

Change intervals.  Also, you can extend change intervals with synthetics.  Some haulage companies are now running 100,000 mile oil change cycles with synthetics with regular filter changes, and they’re still getting extended life over mineral oils.  We used to run our company cars on it and usually double the recommended change periods.  We also had the facility to take out some of the old oil and get full lab sample tests done.  The results always showed that the Mobil 1 was performing better and protecting better at 20000 miles than a mineral oil could brand new.  No bull, just tested proof.  I run double change intervals with normal filter changes.  My turbodiesel car has 180000 miles on the clock from doing this, runs sweet, burns no oil and still returns 50 miles to the gallon.

Bike vs car oil.  Some people are concerned that car oils have different addictives which are not suitable for bikes.  Two suggestions I’ve heard are that there are too many friction improvers in car oils for bike clutches, and that the car oil doesn’t have enough detergent dispersant pack for a bike, especially a twin, and you’re better with a diesel car oil.  I’ve run a LOT of bikes on Mobil 1, including several tuned bikes that have really pushed the clutch to its limits, but I’ve never had a slippage problem.  As for detergent levels, you can run a diesel on Mobil 1 – so it’s not exactly short of detergents!.  If a bike has clutch problems, that’s because it has clutch problems.  Maybe there are a few models out there that have too little reserve strength built into the clutch and they can be a problem with a better oil, but that’s going to be a very rare problem.
Also, just for the record, in many cases the difference between the bike oil and the car oil is the label.

Synthetic myths.  The early synthetic oils were based on other chemistry – like glycols for instance – and were incompatible with conventional mineral oils.  That is not the case with Mobil 1.  It’s chemically the same as your mineral oil base stock, just a purer version of it.  So, if anybody tells you you have to be careful where you use Mobil 1 or that you have to flush the old oil out first, just nod your head and ignore them.  Think of it as the Mobil 1 being a blueprinted machine assembly, while the others are Friday afternoon rush jobs.  It will mix happily with other oils and it is exactly the same in terms of compatibility with seals and other laterials.  I would advise using a simple mineral oil for bedding in, say 500  miles, but that's all.

Manual transmissions.  Put Mobilube SHC in your axle (differentials need EP additives), but Mobil 1 is great for gearboxes.  Most manual transmissions just don’t need special lubes, and the oil industry has been laughing for decades while charging for them, because all you really need in a gearbox is a straight oil, with virtually no additives.  Expensive gear oils are just overkill when your engine oil, bought cheaper by the gallon, will do just as well, if not better.

Over in the UK we have a chain of motor accessory outlets which sell their own brand of synthetics – but I happen to know that it is Mobil 1, filled into rebranded containers by Mobil at their blending and packing plant.  So the choice is $80 for a gallon in a Mobil can, or $50 for a gallon in a re-branded can.  No-brainer!

Hey thanks This was very interesting KwakNut!
So I will use mobil 1 for oil right I can just walk in the store and buy Mobil 1 that is made for cars and put it into my Ls650 Cool! What are the names of the re-branded cans? Do thet sell them in the US

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Reply #10 - 01/30/08 at 05:33:11

Onederer wrote on 01/29/08 at 19:53:48:
Your bike will be fine. Just remember it is'nt fan cooled, so if you idle a lot in traffic, shorten you oil change intervals, regardles of what kinda oil you use. If you can manage, and oil cooler will help. I use that Mobil 1 stuff, and have since break in, but not because I like, but because I'm doing a long term comparison. I have another 650,air cooled,4 valve, single that has only gotten Castrol 20/50 car oil, and has been riden hard with over 26,000 miles to date. No signs of stoping yet. No matter what oil you run NEVER extend you change intervals, oil gets contaminated. Aditives loose effectiveness, but the oil never wears out(conventional). Look at an engine that has only run on propane, and compare that to a gasoline burner, its plane to see why oil  contamination, is the main factor for oil change. There is a large dam outside of Pheniox, that has absoluty no water around it anywhere, kinda apocoliptic looking. Is "school" MMI?

Onederer  

Tell me more on what a oil cooler is

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #11 - 01/30/08 at 06:08:30

Soon wrote on 01/30/08 at 05:29:52:
So I will use mobil 1 for oil right I can just walk in the store and buy Mobil 1 that is made for cars and put it into my Ls650 Cool! What are the names of the re-branded cans? Do thet sell them in the US
My pleasure.

The company in the UK is called Halfords - they have a nation-wide chain of supermarket sized car accessory outlets.  I've never seen them in the States.

In many, many cases, the local-branded lubes you buy are just re-branded Mobil/Exxon/Texaco/Shell or whatever.  The oil companies charge one price for their own brand-leading premium oils, and other prices for either their lower-grade bulk-buy industrial lubes or indeed the re-branded bulk buys.
In many cases, the bulk buy oils that are sold by the barrel or in bulk at 50 cents a litre are exactly the same as the premium oil sold in a gallon can at $4 a litre, because it's cheaper to keep the stuff running through the plant than to stop production and adjust the process for a different run of product that will only be slightly different.

Mobil are a little more cagey about synthetics – they understandably like to protect the ‘get what you pay for’ justification of synthetic prices, and synthetics do cost a whole lot more to produce than mineral lubes.  There isn't a budget version for industrial use, and relatively little discount on bulk purchase of synthetics is available even for big volume buyers.  I was surprised when I saw the Halfords cans being filled in Mobil’s UK blending plant a few years ago.  

Whether Mobil will do the same on US home soil, and risk the main home market discovering that they can buy the same stuff cheaper from another outlet under a re-brand label, I don't know.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #12 - 01/30/08 at 06:40:27

Soon wrote on 01/29/08 at 18:12:01:
Hey all I tried a search on hot weather riding and I guess I didn't fine much.

Here is the question I am moving out to AZ Pheniox for school and I

was woundering if my motorcycle will have a problem with the

summer heat?  I use sythetic oil.  Will my bike over heat and die? I

will have to get to school for noon.  High heat of the day.

dont sweat it  Grin  we run our bikes every day all year,  we run 20w50 dino and change it often. the local police bikes dont even run oil coolers  Huh  KEEP OIL IN IT  Embarrassed  that is important  Cool

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Reply #13 - 01/30/08 at 09:14:42

i had a girlfriend once that left me and then went to school down there at MMI...
darn i shoulda followed her she was smokin hot.
last i heard she is still in school down there.. goin on third year

Frank T. Cartoys jantzen beach

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
WWW dirtbikehero mryummm   IP Logged
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Reply #14 - 01/30/08 at 09:26:43

KwakNut wrote on 01/30/08 at 06:08:30:
Soon wrote on 01/30/08 at 05:29:52:
My pleasure.

The company in the UK is called Halfords - they have a nation-wide chain of supermarket sized car accessory outlets.  I've never seen them in the States.

In many, many cases, the local-branded lubes you buy are just re-branded Mobil/Exxon/Texaco/Shell or whatever.  The oil companies charge one price for their own brand-leading premium oils, and other prices for either their lower-grade bulk-buy industrial lubes or indeed the re-branded bulk buys.
In many cases, the bulk buy oils that are sold by the barrel or in bulk at 50 cents a litre are exactly the same as the premium oil sold in a gallon can at $4 a litre, because it's cheaper to keep the stuff running through the plant than to stop production and adjust the process for a different run of product that will only be slightly different.

Mobil are a little more cagey about synthetics – they understandably like to protect the ‘get what you pay for’ justification of synthetic prices, and synthetics do cost a whole lot more to produce than mineral lubes.  There isn't a budget version for industrial use, and relatively little discount on bulk purchase of synthetics is available even for big volume buyers.  I was surprised when I saw the Halfords cans being filled in Mobil’s UK blending plant a few years ago.  

Whether Mobil will do the same on US home soil, and risk the main home market discovering that they can buy the same stuff cheaper from another outlet under a re-brand label, I don't know.

Thank you Smiley

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:32:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › moving out to AZ hot weather riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!