Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
moving out to AZ hot weather riding (Read 377 times)
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Re: moving out to AZ hot weather riding
Reply #15 - 01/30/08 at 09:31:25

nervekiler wrote on 01/30/08 at 09:14:42:
i had a girlfriend once that left me and then went to school down there at MMI...
darn i shoulda followed her she was smokin hot.
last i heard she is still in school down there.. goin on third year

Sorry to hear, Love for the bikes can be a hard one. She must be happy!

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 01/30/08 at 16:17:08

Yes, I've heard, as most have about how much better synthetics are, but...... I'm glad a few here are useing it, including me. Whoever reaches over 100thousand on thier bike, without any failure, what so ever, should contact Mobil, they might at least get a case of oil, at no cost to them.*  A oil cooler has been discussed on here before, and there are ppl who are useing one on the Savage. It is basicaly a small radiator for oil. Definatly something to research, and do when yourcomfortable with doing it. A electric fan on the cooler would really be great. Since your at MMI, you might get to do that to your bike as a project. You'll tear so many bikes down, and put back together, that there will be nothing left holding you back from working on your own.
The AutoZone stores here sell Mobil 1 bike oil, and its the same price as wally world, plus if you have the autozone card, basically after you spend 100$ with themin 6 months you get 20$ credit.

* S & H not included.

IP Logged
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Reply #17 - 01/30/08 at 18:26:47

Onederer wrote on 01/30/08 at 16:17:08:
Yes, I've heard, as most have about how much better synthetics are, but...... I'm glad a few here are useing it, including me. Whoever reaches over 100thousand on thier bike, without any failure, what so ever, should contact Mobil, they might at least get a case of oil, at no cost to them.*  A oil cooler has been discussed on here before, and there are ppl who are useing one on the Savage. It is basicaly a small radiator for oil. Definatly something to research, and do when yourcomfortable with doing it. A electric fan on the cooler would really be great. Since your at MMI, you might get to do that to your bike as a project. You'll tear so many bikes down, and put back together, that there will be nothing left holding you back from working on your own.
The AutoZone stores here sell Mobil 1 bike oil, and its the same price as wally world, plus if you have the autozone card, basically after you spend 100$ with themin 6 months you get 20$ credit.

* S & H not included.

Thanks good to know that! put a little money back in the old pocket.

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 01/30/08 at 20:46:27

Speaking of oil coolers...

Since my little experiment with the temperature indicator strip has ended up with a burnt out strip that no longer indicates (eh $10 who's complaining) pretty much tells me I'm operating over 90°C (194°F) for too long.  A typical run for me is a half hour at... 65mph, well maybe average Grin in up to 100° weather.

So, I want to add a cooler.  In my search for compatible HD coolers I came across an oil filter kit for the same price.  Hmmm, tap into the ports, plug the cross over between them, leave out the stock filter  And I'll have a nice spin on filter that adds additional volume to the oil reservor and it'll be hanging out in the breeze adding some extra cooling.

Or would this filter have too great an impact on oil flow and I would be better off with the stock filter and a cooler instead?

So what do you guys think?

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #19 - 01/30/08 at 20:57:20

verslagen1 wrote on 01/30/08 at 20:46:27:

Since my little experiment with the temperature indicator strip has ended up with a burnt out strip that no longer indicates (eh $10 who's complaining) pretty much tells me I'm operating over 90°C (194°F) for too long.  A typical run for me is a half hour at... 65mph, well maybe average Grin in up to 100° weather.

So, I want to add a cooler.  In my search for compatible HD coolers I came across an oil filter kit for the same price.  Hmmm, tap into the ports, plug the cross over between them, leave out the stock filter  And I'll have a nice spin on filter that adds additional volume to the oil reservor and it'll be hanging out in the breeze adding some extra cooling.

Or would this filter have too great an impact on oil flow and I would be better off with the stock filter and a cooler instead?

You could get a screw in filler plug temp gauge I guess and see what temp your really running the engine - 80C is where it seems to be finally warm'd up - 90-100C it and the rider are happy - 100-110C both the bike and the rider are getting a little hot under the collar - >110C and I'll park it for a bit and have a cold something or other

IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 01/30/08 at 21:25:02

verslagen1 wrote on 01/30/08 at 20:46:27:

Maybe you could add a pressure gauge before and after the filter, in the experimental stage, and try different size filters and lines, until you feel its not hurting flow.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #21 - 01/31/08 at 20:29:34

I've been running an oil cooler on my '02 for about a year. The feed line goes to the plug on the front of the engine and I had to drill and tap a return port in the side cover above the oil filter housing. The way it is set up right now I am getting about 1/2 of the oil pumped thru the cooler with the other half following the stock passageway to the filter. I measured a 1 liter/minute oil flow thru the cooler with a hot engine at 1500 rpms which is respectable. Tried to run a higher rpm but had the PVC test chamber spring a leak. The most interesting thing is that the cooler stays cool for about 5 miles till the engine heats up then you can feel the temperature difference across the cooler as the flow increases, it's a temperature/oil viscosity thing. My feelings so far about the cooler are it's great because it adds extra volumn and cooling to the oil but when you are stuck in traffic the engine still gets hot because of the lack of air flow. A fan would be benificial, maybe on a toggle switch, but that would be even more stuff on the front of the bike. I was looking at the Harley combo filter/cooler setup but realized it was too big. I think I ended up using a cooler out of a GSX'r. Still don't know if it was worth doing it but it works fine.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 01/31/08 at 21:39:50

KwakNut,  I've been told that forcing oil through the stress of bearing surfaces and other moving parts in an engine, causes it to break down on a molecular level.  It is supposed to become less 'slippery', after being subjected to this trauma due to it's molecules being re-arranged.  This was given as the reason why re-cycled oil will never lubricate as well as virgin stock.  Apparently it is not possible to re-arrange the molecules into their original format.  Is there any truth to this?

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #23 - 02/01/08 at 08:21:44

Arthur wrote on 01/31/08 at 21:39:50:
KwakNut,  I've been told that forcing oil through the stress of bearing surfaces and other moving parts in an engine, causes it to break down on a molecular level.  It is supposed to become less 'slippery', after being subjected to this trauma due to it's molecules being re-arranged.  This was given as the reason why re-cycled oil will never lubricate as well as virgin stock.  Apparently it is not possible to re-arrange the molecules into their original format.  Is there any truth to this?
Mostly, yes.
Oils break down mostly through exposure to temperature (mainly oxidation) or physical sheer.  When the molecules are ‘broken’ under physical loads, they literally become different substances.  For example, of you break a pair of joined carbon atoms off the oil molecule string, you get a molecule of ethane gas produced – that just bubbles off and disappears through the vent system.
The blackness that forms in your oil is just suspended carbon – single carbon atoms in a graphite lattice structure – which are produced both from oil breakdown and, mostly, combustion by-product (ie, burned fuel residue washed off the bores by your oil).  The detergents in the oil stop this carbon from sticking to steel and aluminium, then the dispersants polarise it and make small bits of carbon repel from each other – in that way the carbon particles are kept smaller than the oil film thickness and should not contribute to wear.
Others bits of oil molecule are boken off and in effect become lighter strains of petroleum product, but in very, very small quantities.  

Those molecules can’t be rearranged or mended, but through filtering and re-distilling the recycled oil stock, they can be mostly eliminated, so recycled oil is useable. Quite happy to put it in my lawnmower or an old high mileage dog of a car – but it wouldn’t come within yards of my bike’s sump!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 02/03/08 at 11:02:22

What I've noticed on my commute (30 to 45 min. at 70 to 30mph) when the temperature strip was working, was 90°c or thereabouts when I get off the freeway.  And quite a bit warmer after 10 min. of stop and go to home.  Ended up adding some escape routes so I could keep her rolling, but still over 90°c when home, just not cooking the inside of my calfs.

So here's what I'm thinking... to add in a Yogert inspired oil cooler.  A simple loop of copper or steel tubing from the port on the front of the case to the port on the bottom.  And tee in a temperature gauge and maybe even a pressure gauge.  Found several references to how bad cheap gauges are, so might have to calibrate it too.

Adapters can be had for about $10 ea, elbows $5 ea, and a foot or 2 of tubing found in dad's garage while he's not looking, priceless   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #25 - 02/03/08 at 13:13:31

Ed L. wrote on 01/31/08 at 20:29:34:
I've been running an oil cooler on my '02 for about a year. The feed line goes to the plug on the front of the engine and I had to drill and tap a return port in the side cover above the oil filter housing. The way it is set up right now I am getting about 1/2 of the oil pumped thru the cooler with the other half following the stock passageway to the filter. I measured a 1 liter/minute oil flow thru the cooler with a hot engine at 1500 rpms which is respectable. Tried to run a higher rpm but had the PVC test chamber spring a leak. The most interesting thing is that the cooler stays cool for about 5 miles till the engine heats up then you can feel the temperature difference across the cooler as the flow increases, it's a temperature/oil viscosity thing. My feelings so far about the cooler are it's great because it adds extra volumn and cooling to the oil but when you are stuck in traffic the engine still gets hot because of the lack of air flow. A fan would be benificial, maybe on a toggle switch, but that would be even more stuff on the front of the bike. I was looking at the Harley combo filter/cooler setup but realized it was too big. I think I ended up using a cooler out of a GSX'r. Still don't know if it was worth doing it but it works fine.  

Ed,
 By taking 1/2 the oil before it gets to the filter,  aren't also reducing the oil flow thru filter in half, and thus the oil going thru the engine in half???????   Shocked  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 02/03/08 at 13:39:53

The tapped hole he added (if I remember correctly) is into the filter chamber, so all of the oil still goes thru the filter.  He added a second path for the oil go.  And it is induced to go thru the cooler because of the restriction that is the cross over from one port to another.  Basically the same as I'm doing, except at some point, I'll close the crossover.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #27 - 02/03/08 at 13:54:50

I remember seeing a pict of his fitting going in to the engine,  but not sure where it would dump back in.  

Of interest, the cross-over occurs between the crank-case & side cover,  would be super simple to plug.  Actually,  one could easily re-route a oil cooler to 100% of the oil.    

Hmmmmm wonder if the better half will approve of money $ for my toy  Roll Eyes.....  

EDIT:
Needed fittings for the two caped ports can be found at:
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_acce.asp?Subgroup=Metric_Adapter_Bushings

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #28 - 02/03/08 at 15:14:47

I've been running the same basic setup as Ed_L.  I use a two-pass automotive tranny cooler I got from an auto parts store.  I'm running about 50% of my oil thru the cooler just like Ed.  I've noticed the engine runs much cooler, although I haven't run any tests on it.

I wouldn't recommend completely blocking the primary oil passage to the filter housing for the simple reason that the LS650 has an oil return passage in the oil filter cavity for return to the sump.  What does this mean to us?

GOOD QUESTION!   This means the oil will siphon out of your oil cooler every time you shut the engine down, and there's little you can practically do about it.  I'd STRONGLY recommend you allow at least 25% of the original oil flow path to provide oiling during startup.

If you blocked the oil return to sump in the filter housing, you'd avoid this problem, BUT...

then everytime you open the filter housing, a pint of oil will dump onto your exhaust.

My $0.02...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:16:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › moving out to AZ hot weather riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.